always start off with a bang..then whoop

Options
A pattern I have when wanting to change my lifestyle is..I start out with a bang day one then day 2 it's hard. Especially with binge eating disorder..

like yesterday I eat healthy all day, don't go over calories and exercise 3 times morning afternoon and night.

then today starts out good then womp. breads, icecrem, boredom eating calling me

I need some friends to help support me :/

Replies

• theplatypus
    Options
    Perhaps you are trying to do too much all at once, it's not easy to go cold turkey. When making a lifestyle change, you need to make it gradual so it becomes habit. eventually you'll start craving fruits and veggies rather than processed foods. Also make sure you are eating enough healthy food and not exercising too much. the reason you're probably bingeing is because you're trying too hard. Just take things one step at a time. Hope this helps :)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are trying to do too much all at once, it's not easy to go cold turkey. When making a lifestyle change, you need to make it gradual so it becomes habit. eventually you'll start craving fruits and veggies rather than processed foods. Also make sure you are eating enough healthy food and not exercising too much. the reason you're probably bingeing is because you're trying too hard. Just take things one step at a time. Hope this helps :)
    I agree with this.

Don't start exercising so much at the start. Reduce your calories and go for a walk.

Once you maintain that healthy pattern for a week, up it to a run, or add an additional workout.

I too suffer from an "all or nothing" type personality - I find it hard to do something unless I'm devoting 100% of my energy and care into it. This time I'm trying.
  • changingdietforgood
    Options
    thanks guys :D
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me.
  • changingdietforgood
    Options
    Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me.

what is with all the irrelevant replies on MFP lately?
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps! If you're finding it all just too overwhelming, start by exercising and just documenting what you eat, not being so worried about the cals... then start adding more in as time goes on.

an aside, working out 3 times a day isn't something I could sustain for the long term, and that's what you're trying to do, right? You want this to be a full lifestyle change so you need to live your life now as you could live your life in 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, etc

Also, eating something bad doesn't mean the rest of your day needs to go down the sh!tter as well. We all eat some crap foods, but its when you let it derail your whole day/week/diet that you're in trouble.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Heck, I don't exercise ONCE every day, let alone 3 TIMES in a day. That would get old for me real quick.

Once a day is enough...and you dont have to kill yourself in that one session. Eat well, but treat yourself a little and dont totally deprive yourself. I still eat chocolate and other snacks in moderation. It WORKS.....just make it work for YOU. This may sound cliche-ic but if I can do it, anyone can. :)
  • porkchop_13
    Options

what is with all the irrelevant replies on MFP lately?

I'm bored at work today, whattya want from me. sorry if it's annoying u
  • mstoneberger
    mstoneberger Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem.. I always did so good for the first day or two and then id fall into a slump but I learned that loosing weight is a lifestyle change and I was taking on to much.. So I started off slow.. I gave up soda first then I did the fast food.. (i still eat out but only like once a week) I also work out at the gym and i started off for an hr 3-5 times a week and worked my way up.. You have to take things slow because if you give it all up at once you set your self up for failure..
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Heck, I don't exercise ONCE every day, let alone 3 TIMES in a day. That would get old for me real quick.

Once a day is enough...and you dont have to kill yourself in that one session. Eat well, but treat yourself a little and dont totally deprive yourself. I still eat chocolate and other snacks in moderation. It WORKS.....just make it work for YOU. This may sound cliche-ic but if I can do it, anyone can. :)

this^^

When I started exercising, I went 5 days a week for 2 weeks so I could get into the habit--but it was only for 30-45 minutes at a time. Within the first month, I cut it down to 3 days a week, then eventually settled on 4 days.

It sounds like you are driven to binge because you have worked out so hard that your body needs fuel. Cut down to ONE workout a day and eat at least 1200 calories a day.
  • jemhologram
    Options
    i used to be like that too.. start out doing everything right then crashing coz it was too much.. this time i have made small changes and gradually added new ones, it seems to be working. im trying not to be so hard on myself either. if i have a bad day i just think "oh well that was a bad day, i know i can do better and tomorrow is a new day"
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A pattern I have when wanting to change my lifestyle is..I start out with a bang day one then day 2 it's hard. Especially with binge eating disorder..

like yesterday I eat healthy all day, don't go over calories and exercise 3 times morning afternoon and night.

then today starts out good then womp. breads, icecrem, boredom eating calling me

I need some friends to help support me :/

Frankly, exercising three times a day sounds like a continuation of binge behavior. I would cut back to one solid workout once a day or even five times a week.

To adopt a slow, steady, and reasonably consistent approach is much more challenging than many people imagine. For one thing, it's kind of boring.

Good luck.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Start with the mental and then move on to the physical. If you truly have a problem with binge eating, then you have to work on teh mental aspect of why you do what you do and what you need to do to solve that problem. If you don't ever work on figuring that out then long term success is highly unlikely.

I personally found "The Beck Diet Solution" helpful in finding insights and solutions. It deals with weight control issues by using cognative behavioral therapry. I still struggle with my eating habits, but I haven't had nearly as many out of control moments over the past year as I used to. I've been successful at losing and keeping off almost 50 lbs so far.