62 years old...thyroid issues...Anyone have some tips?

Options
I am 62 and take 200 mcg thyroid medication. Is age a factor in slow weight loss?

Replies

• Dianescraps
    Options
    I have battled thryroid issues.

I would recommend researching diet issues relating to thyroid. There are foods that are normally considered healthy, but make thyroid problems worse.

Once I got that under control my hair came back and I was able to go off my thyroid meds. I just got my bloodwork redone last week and my numbers are good. I have been off the meds for 7 years.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I didn't know food had a contributing factor to thyroid disease and didn't know the medication could be stopped. I'll check into that.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've been on thyroxine for 20yrs and as you can see I'm managing to lose weight. I've not come across anything which has enabled me to come off meds but there's an awful lot of confusing info out there.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and take 200 mcg thyroid medication. Is age a factor in slow weight loss?

I had a thyroidectomy and wasn't on that high of a dose! Wow.... Ok, so a few things:

1. Does your doctor test free T3 and free T4, or just TSH? If just TSH, you MUST go get your free T3 and free T4 tested. TSH is a pituitary hormone; T3/T4 are actual thyroid hormones.

2. T3 does all the work in your body, and a deficit is what makes you hypothyroid and gives you all the lovely symptoms. T3 is like the key in the ignition of your cells - it's what makes you go.

3. You are taking a T4-only med. Your body converts T4 into T3, but many hypothyroid people have issues with this conversion process.

4. Back to #1....you need to get your free T3 tested. I can pretty much guarantee that if you're on a T4-only med your T3 is too low. As well, when there is an excess of T4 your body starts converting it into Reverse T3 (RT3). This RT3 blocks the T3 receptor cells and keeps T3 from doing its job, making you MORE hypo -- like putting the wrong key in the ignition, it won't start the engine and keeps the proper key from getting in. Testing TSH and free T4 will NOT identify this.

If your free T3 is too low you have 2 options:
    1. Add a synthetic T3 med like cytomel
    2. Switch to a natural dessicated med like Armour or Nature Thyroid, as they contain both T3 AND T4

I'd also recommend that you get your Vit D levels tested; they should optimally be at 60-80 (and not just "within normal range" at 30+).

Do you take and iron or calcium pills at least 4 hours after your current meds...?
  • AMKAG
    AMKAG Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great answer! I'm a pharmacist with Thyroid problem and this answer is spot on!
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've not been able to get off my thyroid medication completely but the doctor has reduced my dose. The difference for me was to stop drinking our city water. Our city, as many others, flouridates the water and flouride has been used to treat hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid). But since I have hypothyroidism (underactive) then I should not be ingesting the very thing that supresses thyroid activity. I also take a natural supplement from the health food store to support my thyroid.

If your water supply is flouridated, then you may want to purchase drinking water. I buy distilled water to make certain I don't get even the natural flouride found in well water and other natural sources. And if you want to use a supplement, make certain it is to support your own thyroid or talk to your doctor. Health food places also sell Bovine Thyroid. That has the same effect as the thyroid supplements from your doctor so don't go that route unless you discuss it with your doctor first.

Google thyroid and flouride. There is almost too much info out there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!