2 different scales, 2 different readings (with calibration)

Options
So I have 2 scales, 1 is digital (15 bucks) and 1 is just basic with a dial (10 bucks). I tested them both out (put a 4lb weight on them, both scales read 4lbs). However, when I step on the scale I get completely different readings. The digital one says 173lbs, and the dial scale says 165! (Note: both scales are placed on the exact same surface, there is no environmental difference)

I dont really want to drop any money on a more "expensive but reliable" scale right now, is there a reason I'm getting such different readings at a higher weight? I should probably just rely on the digital scale's reading?

Replies

• Yammii
    Yammii Posts: 15
    Options
    I would definitely use the digital scale reading..
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I found that regular scales tend to be wobbly. I'd go digital. And remember, the number is not as important as how your clothes fit and how you feel! :laugh:
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen and it was such a downer! Both digital, too. One read 106, one read 110. To be on the safe side I always go with the higher reading, but as an alternative (which might be a nuisance) you could average the two readings:

(173 + 165)/2 = 169
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You need to put more weight on the scales to check the amount of error.
    4 pounds just isn't enough to show the difference.
    I check scales for our clinics and I find they are not linear.
    Lighter weigh will be OK but the more I put on the bigger the error.
    I have 10 certified 50 pound weights so I can go up to 500 pounds..
    Another option is go some place that has an accurate scale then go straight home and compare.
    The doctors office will let you weigh.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It makes ZERO difference. Pick a scale to use, put the other one in the closet. What you are using the scale for is to track progress. Add long as your diet and exercise combine to help you lose 1-2 lbs per week, your actual weight doesn't matter.