Protein shakes- carbs

Options
llpaq
llpaq Posts: 263 Member
Is there such thing as a low carb protein shake? If so any suggestions..... I guess I need to add it on as one of my snacks when I start lifting :):) :drinker:

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk light shakes are pretty good.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is there such thing as a low carb protein shake? If so any suggestions..... I guess I need to add it on as one of my snacks when I start lifting :):) :drinker:

Most quality whey protein will have very little carbohydrate. Optimum Nutrition has 3g I believe. Might depend on flavor.

When you say "I guess" -- you seem like you're not sure that you need whey.

You need to consume enough protein to meet your goals, whether or not it comes from whey or chicken or eggs or beef will be of little importance. Only mentioning this in case you were under the impression that whey was some sort of necessary item.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Just get a basic unflavoured whey isolate.
  • llpaq
    Options

Most quality whey protein will have very little carbohydrate. Optimum Nutrition has 3g I believe. Might depend on flavor.

You need to consume enough protein to meet your goals, whether or not it comes from whey or chicken or eggs or beef will be of little importance. Only mentioning this in case you were under the impression that whey was some sort of necessary item.

I just said "I guess" because I'm not getting enough protein and I'm just looking for things to eat- but they have carbs (I love fruit!!) so I was told since I want to mostly tone up- I should start drinking protein shakes to get my protein in as a supplement. But you answered it WHEY ISOLATE is low, it seems I looked at GNC and a lot of the shakes were high carb, maybe I was looking at the wrong kind - I could be wrong though. THANK YOU:smile:
  • mdjcpa75
    Options
    I like the Atkins Protein Shakes. They are in convenient packages and taste better than others I have tried. Just my opinion.
  • KEAVES13
    KEAVES13 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like the Atkins Protein Shakes. They are in convenient packages and taste better than others I have tried. Just my opinion.

These are really good =))
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Intek Evolution Whey Isolate in chocolate has no carbs an actually tastes really good. I recommend it
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Don't buy pre made shakes, then. Just buy basic protein powder. The egg white protein powder I use has only 4 g carbs and 24 g protein per scoop.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    boneless skinless chicken breast. really any meat is low carb, but the chicken is low fat also (not that you don't need some fat in your diet too)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Trutein is my favorite....it is a mixture however. 40% whey, 40% casein, 20% egg white.

Tastes amazing.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Yep... unless it's billed as a meal replacement shake, weight gainer, or nutrition shake most powders will have very few carbs in them. I am using Isopure, and it only has 1g of carbs in it.

Also very true. It seems like a lot of people ask if they 'should' start incorporating protein powders into their diets, but there is no right answer. Shakes aren't a 'magic bullet' of any sorts and don't do anything special for you... they're just convenient and in a lot of cases quite tasty. It's a lot easier for me to throw a shaker cup with some powder in it into my gym bag and then add water when I want it than it is to pack up a chicken breast into my cooler, toss in an ice pack and a fork, and eat it while walking out of the gym.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Ditto Josfit. (nice abs girl ! Thats a dream of mine!)

I drink a meal shake, Shakeology, for breakfast every day or sometimes after a workout (breakfast is often after workout) It has 18g of protein, but yes it has 3 g of dietary fiber and 9g of sugars I do love it though
  • llpaq
    Options

These are really good =))

I didn't even know they had them! :) thanks
  • keren22
    keren22 Posts: 18
    Options
    I use Shakeology every single day, it is the best product that I have found. It gives your body the perfect combination of nutrients to help give you energy, reduce cravings, and maintain healthy body weight, and support your immune system.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use Bio-X Power Whey in "Rocky Road". Firstly, and most importantly, it is YUMMY! I HATE whey protein, but this stuff is good, really good. It is only 3 grams of carbs. The woman who looks like She-ra at the supplement store recommended it to my husband and I about 3 years ago and have used it ever since. I blend it with 1/2 a banana (frozen), 1 cup skim milk and 1 TBSP of natural peanut butter - keeps me full for hours. If I want something quick, it even just tastes good with just water (shaken).
  • lythy77
    lythy77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i use Optimum Health Ultimate Whey Protein 2.25kg £26 75 servings.
    i got the choc flavor but i am told strawberry is the best.
    Per 30g when mixed with water:
    Energy: 121kcal / 505kJ
    Protein: 21.3g
    Carbohydrates: 4.7g
    of which sugars: 4.1g
    Fat: 1.9g
    of which saturates: 1.7g
    Fibre: 0.1g
    Sodium: Trace
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Before I went vegan, I used nectar by syntax whey protein (zero sugar, zero carb, zero fat, all protein).