Struggling to lose any weight :(

Options

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a lb at 1200-1300 calories. It wasn't until I ate more that I started to lose weight! People *claim* there isn't such thing as starvation mode but for me it was true! I was tired and had zero energy and lost zero weight! Upped the calories and it started coming off!
  • Krissattelberg
    Options
    I'm 36 and about 5'8. I've got to actually increase my caloric intake and cut back on certain of my guilty pleasures in order to kick start losing weight. I started my fitness journey back on August 20, 2012 and I started out at a weight of 195 according to the scale. I haven't weighed myself recently, but will do so tomorrow for accountability purposes and will see where I am at now; I do know I am down to size large pants(16) and used to wear size extra large (18-20) but that's not where I really want to be.

What's your favorite exercise to do? Do you have a specific workout routine or a set time of day that you work out? Having both often helps out A LOT.
  • Krissattelberg
    Options
    I don't know why people want to run around claiming that there is no such thing as a starvation mode...they are fooling themselves and trying to fool others, just as you say. There really is! I constantly see that in many of my family members and friends and it makes me feel sad for them. I know that cutting back on highly processed and/or refined foods, as well as cuttng out wheat and gluten(I had to because of a medical condition) containing foods often can help with weight loss. Some health conditions make weight loss next to impossible if one doesn't know he or she is living with it or doesn't know what to do to manage it. This was one of my problems for years...
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    I don't know why people want to run around claiming that there is no such thing as a starvation mode...they are fooling themselves and trying to fool others, just as you say. There really is! I constantly see that in many of my family members and friends and it makes me feel sad for them. I know that cutting back on highly processed and/or refined foods, as well as cuttng out wheat and gluten(I had to because of a medical condition) containing foods often can help with weight loss. Some health conditions make weight loss next to impossible if one doesn't know he or she is living with it or doesn't know what to do to manage it. This was one of my problems for years...

It's a myth. It's been studied. It's been proven.
  • Krissattelberg
    Options
    That's been my response when I was told that there was no such thing. They may laugh at me at first but I show proof, and then they don't have a come back..
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What proof? Keep in mind your results, and how you perceived you achieved them, is not proof of anything.

Back to the op's issue, use MFP as a tool to track your calories intake. Nothing more. Don't use it to calculate your calorie goal, don't log exercise, and for God sakes don't eat the calories back. The combination of these three things will result in inconsistent results.

Calculate your TDEE. Use various calculators and average the results. Deduct 500 calories and this is you daily goal. Track everything you eat and try your best to maintain this goal. Stick with it consistently and after a few weeks, if you are not losing, then deduct your calorie goal by another 100 and repeat, keeping in mind that TDEE calculations can vary and may need adjusted. As for exercise, get into a routine but don't get caught up with needing to know what you are burning. It's not important and none of the gadgets out there are accurate enough to consider logging.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Great links!
  • Alysin
    Alysin Posts: 10
    Options
    not pregnant for sure
  • Alysin
    Options
    So I've been exercising every day averaging about 30 minutes per day. My calorie intake is 1200-1300. I haven't lost any weight at all:( I weigh 140 and I'd like to weigh 120. Am I doing something wrong here, or should I do something different? I have been very consistant and watched my calories and exercised every day for 16 days. I would have at least liked to have lost a pound or something. Feeling discouraged.

Women's weight can be masked by her cycle. For a woman to complete a full cycle it can take about 3 weeks. A good time for a woman to weigh is a week after her cycle.

Also your calories are slightly low, i am not sure if it's large enough to impact your weight loss but it might be. Go up to "Goals" and where it says "calories burned through daily activity. Multiple that number by 0.80 and that's how many calories you should consume.
    Ok, I will weigh myself after my cycle, that does make sense. I checked the goals and multiplied by .80, and it said around 1400. But fitness pal told me to eat 1200. I did the TDEE and it said around 1500 for weightloss.
  • Alysin
    Options
    A doctors visit is probably a good idea. I'm beginning to think that my weight gain is probably from being in my 30's :( Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm taking all of it into action and consideration :)
  • Alysin
    Options
    duplicate post
  • Alysin
    Options
    You can also take a alpha-adrenoceptor antagonist and do some LISS
    What are these? Do you have links?
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've not read everyone's responses as I'm dropping on my feet...............but, I swear by this!

Work out your TDEE from the following:

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/index.aspx?puid=5d32cf69-8d08-4154-b0b4-1a14b7aeca74&issueid=17759

My advice to the Original Poster is to start and eat your TDEE for a few weeks to regulate your body. I personally think eating 1200-1300 calories is too low for you. Unless you use a HRM, then use the chart to guess your calorie burns roughly from the exercise you are doing.

I would advise you to eat as clean as possible and have a treat meal/day each week too. Obviously, what you don't want to do is, undo all of your hard work from 6 days, in one blow out.

There could be a number of factors going on here to be honest as to why you've gained 20lbs. I can personally vouch for stress causing a negative effect on the body, as well as your emotional well being!

Let me know how you get on! If you want to add me on here too, I don't mind! We're all here to help each other!

Ahluvly :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm doing different exercises: work out videos that are low impact to moderate aerobics, elliptical, toning exercises.

I'm eating more healthy and less fast food. I'm not going crazy healthy though. I need more water and fruits and veggies for sure.

There is no such thing as toning. Do high intensity running and eat more protein and less everything else.

Muscle Toning Exercises | LIVESTRONG.COM

No need to be a jerk.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eat more and lift heavy weights.

In order to increase your metabolism you need to increase your lean muscle and the only way to do that is to lift heavy weights and eat more (max out on protein).

Are you weighing all the food you eat? Kitchen scale for solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids? A kitchen scale is a must! For example, I have protein powder that says one scoop is a serving and one scoop is 34g. ONe scoop is actually 40g. Another example is with pre packaged foods that you eat all of... I have protein bars that say they are 70g on the package... they are actually 78g. You could be eating a lot more than you think or a lot less than you think you are.

Weight, measure and log every single bite. Ensure you log the mayo on your sandwich, the cream/sugar in your coffee/tea, etc.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I've been exercising every day averaging about 30 minutes per day. My calorie intake is 1200-1300. I haven't lost any weight at all:( I weigh 140 and I'd like to weigh 120. Am I doing something wrong here, or should I do something different? I have been very consistant and watched my calories and exercised every day for 16 days. I would have at least liked to have lost a pound or something. Feeling discouraged.

i stopped reading as soon as I saw that you eat 1200 calories.

eat more, eat back your exercise calories. figure out your total daily energy expenditure and set your calories accordingly.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Eat more and lift heavy weights.

In order to increase your metabolism you need to increase your lean muscle and the only way to do that is to lift heavy weights and eat more (max out on protein).

Are you weighing all the food you eat? Kitchen scale for solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids? A kitchen scale is a must! For example, I have protein powder that says one scoop is a serving and one scoop is 34g. ONe scoop is actually 40g. Another example is with pre packaged foods that you eat all of... I have protein bars that say they are 70g on the package... they are actually 78g. You could be eating a lot more than you think or a lot less than you think you are.

Weight, measure and log every single bite. Ensure you log the mayo on your sandwich, the cream/sugar in your coffee/tea, etc.

Interesting. I lost 75 lbs in 6 months and didnt lift a single weight. i did run, though.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You can also take a alpha-adrenoceptor antagonist and do some LISS

WHY? She didn't mention having high blood pressure, PTSD, or any other medical condition that would warrant using an alpha blocker. Are you really that bored?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Women's weight can be masked by her cycle. For a woman to complete a full cycle it can take about 3 weeks. A good time for a woman to weigh is a week after her cycle.

Also your calories are slightly low, i am not sure if it's large enough to impact your weight loss but it might be. Go up to "Goals" and where it says "calories burned through daily activity. Multiple that number by 0.80 and that's how many calories you should consume.
    Ok, I will weigh myself after my cycle, that does make sense. I checked the goals and multiplied by .80, and it said around 1400. But fitness pal told me to eat 1200. I did the TDEE and it said around 1500 for weightloss.

What did you tell MFP you would like to lose per week? Change your settings to lose 0.5lb per week for such a little amount to lose
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a lb at 1200-1300 calories. It wasn't until I ate more that I started to lose weight! People *claim* there isn't such thing as starvation mode but for me it was true! I was tired and had zero energy and lost zero weight! Upped the calories and it started coming off!

starvation mode doesn't happen within a couple of weeks. it took 6 months of eating 1500 calories a day for people at their ideal weight to hit what the Minnesota Starvation Experiment called "starvation mode." For overweight people, the fact that they have energy stores should keep them from hitting starvation mode until they get to their ideal weight range.