Eating Healthy On A Budget

Options
How exactly do you eat healthy on a budget? I mean if I buy fruits they don't last me very long where do I start from?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I get the sale papers for the local stores and compare the prices to coupons I have. If a veg is on sale I stock up and freeze. Frozen veg. is just as good as fresh.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies to help.
  • 1Bigtink
    1Bigtink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    first of all I only buy for a week at a time that way I will eat it before it goes bad. this also helps change things up. Second in our area the Doller store has fruits and veggies. I always say the ceaper the better. Good luck.
  • michelamar10
    Options
    If you have an Aldi's close by they usually have fruits and veggies cheaper than supermarkets.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You're going to be eating less calories while adjusting to your "lifestyle change", so you will probably buy less food in the long run.

I usually spend about $20 a week on fresh veggies and fruit, I buy what's in season and I buy meat when it's on sale and stock up.

Make a budget and stick to it. Google your local grocer plus "coupons" and you'll find bloggers out there who have the whole thing set up for you so that you know what is on sale this week.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    First, in regards to food, if it can go bad then it's good for you. If it can't go bad, then it is bad for you.

20 healthy dinners under three dollars

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/healthy/dinner/cheap-heart-healthy-dinner-ideas/#page=6
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I'm on a budget too and things that have helped me are...

Meal planning - buy ingredients that you know you can get quite a few meals out of, then "batch cook" things like healthy curries, chilli, spag bol etc, i.e. cook four or five portions at a time and freeze it.

If you work, don't buy your lunch each day - take a packed lunch or make an extra portion of what you had for dinner the night before if you can

Make soup out of leftovers (e.g. bits left on chicken, half pieces of veg that you haven't used up in a meal)

Buy frozen veg and tinned fruit (in its own juice) - less wastage and just as nutritionally valuable

Make the most of "buy one get one free" offers on healthy cereals, Quorn etc.

Hope this helps :)

Shop around and buy value versions of ingredients such as tinned tomatoes
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this as well, the best thing I can tell you is to pay attention to sales, visit your local produce market for cheaper fresh items, keep an eye on coupons and get as little processed/pre-made food as possible. Getting the same foods in "raw" form seems to be cheaper overall (or it at least goes further).

Instead of buying bags of hash browns, pre-cut- pre-seasoned, etc, buy bags of potatoes yourself and do the prep at home. Apply this to many foods. Rice, Meat, Fruits and Veg, the list goes on. Convenience often comes at a Premium. You will spend more time prepping and cooking, but you will be eating healthier and cheaper in the long run.
  • westmountgirl
    westmountgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am another one that shops the sales. Whatever produce/meat/fruit is on sale in a given week is what I eat. I shop the sales early in the week and then try to re-stock before they end, which I will use to stock my freezer or top up for the weekend and in to the next week. Waste just doesn't happen in our house because we are conscious enough to bring our lunches, using the fresh foods up as we go. When veggies are cheap I buy extra and freeze them too.

I firmly believe that it doesn't cost any more to eat healthy than it does to eat prepared foods or junk (take-out)!
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Beans and pulses are cheap, filling and very good for you as well as being low calorie. Also,green grocers and markets are a lot cheaper than supermarkets if you can get to them.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I usually shop for a week too & I don't buy very many fruits so that's a big help for me to start. However, I do indulge in Honey Dew, canteloupe, strawberries, raspberries &/or blue berries when I see them on sale. I mainly stick with meat & veggies & try to get my sweet fix in with raw nuts. I also shop around for the best deals.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies (you can also freeze fresh fruit and keep it in the freezer for a while, just pull it out to defrost the night before you want to use it), bags of frozen chicken breasts (I prefer fresh but sometimes the quick-frozen are cheaper), boxes of brown rice, quick oats (instead of the "instant" packets that have lots of extra junk in em), buy store-brand items instead of name-brands, take advantage of seasonal produce (usually grocery stores can give you a list of those), check out deals at farmers' markets in the summer, compare prices for different stores online, stock up on things like canned beans, frozen veggies, plain rice/pasta when they're on sale.

I also use my crockpot to make a big batch of something (for example this week it's black bean/turkey chili), then I can freeze some of it or eat it for lunches or dinners all week (I'm single so I just cook for one, that can be a little tricky).

When buying fresh fruit and vegetables the people working in the produce departments can give you a little more info on how long certains items will last once you take them home...buy in smaller quantities so you don't waste food/money(this is something I'm still working on, I forget I have stuff in the fridge and it sometimes goes bad).

Cooking at home is generally cheaper than eating out or buying TV dinners :) It just takes some planning.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    frozen fruits & veggies are cheaper and will last a lot longer.
    buy chicken breast in bulk (way cheaper)
    eggs are cheap
    canned tuna is inexpensive.
    also, when buying fresh fruits/veggies, get what's in season - cheaper.
  • Tiddlypeeps
    Tiddlypeeps Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some fruits have a much longer shelf life than others. I've had apples in my kitchen that have been fine after a week or so, oranges too. If you eat bananas then you can buy a couple of yellow ones to be eaten with in a day or two and you can buy some of the really green ones that ripen at home..

I find the most expensive part of a meal is the meat. Chicken is fairly expensive where I live while beef and pork would be fairly cheap. So visit your local butcher and find out which meats are the cheapest where you live and look up recipes for those.

Frozen and tinned vegetables are great on a budget and they last forever so there is no fear of waste. Tinned tomatoes are like 30p here. You can get bags of mixed stir fry veg or you can buy each vegetable frozen separately like brocoli, carrots and green beans. It means you can take advantage of any 2 for 1 or other deals your local supermarket might having going too without fear of waste.

I find eating healthy is often more expensive than just eating junk but with a bit of imagination it doesn't have to be.

Most of the big supermarket chains now let you shop online, even if you don't order online it can help with planning out meals and stuff just to go their to get prices and to help you make lists of exactly what you need when you go to the supermarket. So when you get there you are less likely to be distracted by anything you didn't plan on getting and you are sure you are getting the best price without having to spend all day comparing products in the supermarket.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Well for my husband and I, we get groceries for two weeks since that fits his pay schedule. Beans, milk, chicken, tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, yogurt, frozen veggies, cereal, oatmeal, bread, fish, brown rice, carrots, onions, peppers, cheese, lunch meat. We spend between $100-140 for two weeks. And usually have to pick up a couple spare things near the end of the two weeks.

Buying the larger packs of chicken can be cheaper as well. I then divide the chicken in freezer bags.

Brittany
  • myriddian
    myriddian Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I buy a fruit and Veg mixed box once a fortnight, it's seasonal so you don't get choose whats in it but once it's delivered I can meal plan and use the items that will go bad quicker first. I pay $40 for mine and it lasts us just under two weeks. Veg tend to last but I need to top the fruit up by the one week mark. I also look for cheap stock at the supermarket, like really ripe tomatoes and banana's then cut them up and freeze, this works really well for oranges too.
    Perhaps you have a company in your area that also does this?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    these last a long time if stored properly: it depends how fresh it was though too.

apples
    melons
    cabbage
    grape fruit and any citrus
    radishes
    carrots, whole carrots, not baby carrots
    romaine and spinach last a lot longer than ice berg or bags of lettuce mixes.
    if the greens start going bad, just us in a stir fry, or saute with garlic.
    frezze your bananas and make 'ice cream'
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Most has already been said but buy frozen veggie and only what fruit you know you will eat. Do you have a farmers market near you. They always sell fresh food cheaper than the store where I live. Beans, canned salmon, cottage cheese, brown rice are all very reasonable. And check the sale ads. Publix has awesome BOGO's every week.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I find eating healthy to be expensive as well. Mainly the meat. I am an American living in Toronto and unless I can make a trip to Buffalo to buy meat/cheese/dairy then I have to spend a small fortune for it here. Plus my husband who is not trying to bulk has a big appetite so food goes fast. I bought a family pack of steaks the other day and he ate them all in one day. I have given up the idea of eating fresh fish, since $20 only buys enough tilapia for one meal. When I was in the State's I ate chicken breasts almost daily, now I can't afford to buy them on a regular basis. It is almost double what I paid at home. At least fruits and veggies are inexpensive here.