Hello ... I have some questions

Options
Hello.... I am beginning my get healthy journey and am really out of shape :-( I have begun playing XBox Kinnect but the games I am playing does not track calorie burning. I have read that alot of people use the HRM - I just looked them up... Wow... there sure are alot of choices.. Can someone one help me with what to look for ..... I really want to do this. Thanks

Replies

• BBme425
    BBme425 Posts: 19
    Options
    Also, I am not sure how to use these Msg Boards.. So please bear with me.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the most popular. I think the FT4 is pretty basic. I have the FT7 and love it.
  • coachmjfitness11
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on deciding to make changes, its an amazing journey! As far as HRM go, it depends all on what you are looking for. For example, I only use mine to track calories burned during my exercise- so I use a a watch type one with a chest strap- I use the Polar Ft4 -its pink! others out there like the fit bit, nike band and body bug track calories throughout the day as well and have other features, but if you are just looking for something simple, I would definitely recommend the one i have or one like it. Lower cost and tracks accurately without the extra stuff.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You want one that allows you to track calories based on height, weight, gender, and age. I think I have the polar f4? I'm not sure, it's an older one.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft4 - love it. Very easy to use - great for a newbie.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the most popular. I think the FT4 is pretty basic. I have the FT7 and love it.

Ditto. This is a great starting HRM as its easy to use and not overly confusing like some can be. Just make sure to get one that has a chest strap and its the only true way to get continuous calorie count. Good luck!
  • BBme425
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Yes I really just want it to keep track of calories I am burning. I will check the F4t! Does it go on your chest and does it fit all sizes... :-)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I use the polar ft4, and it's great.

the chest strap (which goes under your boobs) is adjustable for size. :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Polar are good. You want something with a chest band (more accurate) and one which will estimate your calorie burn for you. I've got a fairly fancy model which I bought secondhand, but find that in practice I only use the basic functions. If I were buying new I'd be very happy with the FT4. I know several people with this model and they all seem very happy with it.
  • lookatme09
    lookatme09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    just got polar ft4 too. love it
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it is pretty cool :D
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar RS300X, and it's great - but I also run, and all the bells and whistles that come with it let me get all the information I want beyond just calories burned.

Polar seems to be the most popular brand, at least on this site. HRMs are a little bit pricey, so before you buy one make sure it does what you want. Also think about what you might like to do in the future - run? swim? cycle? and see if another model would accommodate those goals as well. Chest strap is a must.
  • BBme425
    Options
    How do you guys get your wt loss Chart to show when you Post on Msg Bd?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it!

Some tips though... ensure you get one with a chest strap as that will constantly read your heart rate and therefore give you a more accurate burn (normally the chest straps are adjustable). Ensure you get one that allows you to enter your height, sex, age, and weight and ensure you keep it updated as that will give you better accuracy as well.

HRM are a tool and are not 100% accurate. I've heard of people who wear them all day to see how many calories you burn. Don't wear it for anything but exercise unless you purchase one made to be worn all day everyday. HRM are as accurate as possible when your heart rate is elevated... they are not very accurate when your heart rate is lower and they are not the best when working out on a low intensity.
  • Jax_30
    Jax_30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and it will give you the option to create then add,
  • BBme425
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your suggestions & help! Shopping for a hrm today. Actually did an hour on XBox kinnect sport last nite :-). I am so excited to get healthy. It is nice to know I will have such a great support team to help me in my journey :-)