Can you have a healthy diet on Slim Fast Milk Shake Powder?

Options

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Just curious as I prefer fluids to meals and if its possible. I want to subitute two of my meals for a Slim Fast milkshake and then a proper meal for dinner!

If you can eat seven to nine servings of fruit and veg, three servings of reduced fat dairy, some oily fish, other healthy fats AND plenty of fibre/ mineral rich foods all in one meal then the answer is yes. Otherwise purchase a stick blender with it's own lidded beaker and make soups or smoothies, use frozen fruit and veggies plus whey isolate, peanut flour, low fat soft cheese for protein.

You mention your mental health, there are tons of nutrients which are involved in the production of happy hormones, you should also be working to stabilise your blood sugar which means not skipping meals. Remember the human body cannot tell the difference between a famine, anorexia and a restrictive diet - it's all the same it all puts the body into a state of stress.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do this,( me included) but I wouldn't stick with it. Slim fast isn't the best choice either. I do Herbalife meal replacement shakes, and I only do that when I am restarting ( like after the Holidays to rid of bloat and junk in my system) A lot of people would also recommend Visalus. Slim fast has a lot of hidden junk in it. You may find yourself very hungry doing two a day, maybe do one a day, you don't want to run into binge eating.

I doubt I'll start binging as I tend to hardly eat, I'm kinda forcing food into myself. I guess I'll try it for a week or so. If I feel hungry? I'll try Visalus as recommend by you. Thanks for the advise though everybody! ♥

Concerned when I hear your forcing yourself to eat. Take care of yourself and remember your body needs nutrition and only way your going to remain healthy and reach your goals.

I'm 18st so don't be concerned, I just force myself because I was previously in care and went days without eating because I wanted to be left alone. Also suffer bad depression that tends to take it toll and stops me from eating. I also tend to skip breakfast, dinner and maybe get lunch in. But now I'm trying to loose weight? I try to do breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack while tracking it all. So hopefully a 1200 cals per a day diet, wont only help me lose weight. But also give my body what it needs. Well thats what I hope. Just I don't like soild food that much.. I love soups and may start slim fast shakes to make sure I'm getting enough protine to keep me going.

Sounds like your on the road to recovery :smile: I had some problems eating the 1200 calories also. I had no idea I wasn't eating enough before. I also know how depression can be. And you know eating right and taking care of yourself is going to make you feel a lot better. I know you will do well. :flowerforyou:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just curious as I prefer fluids to meals and if its possible. I want to subitute two of my meals for a Slim Fast milkshake and then a proper meal for dinner!

If you can eat seven to nine servings of fruit and veg, three servings of reduced fat dairy, some oily fish, other healthy fats AND plenty of fibre/ mineral rich foods all in one meal then the answer is yes. Otherwise purchase a stick blender with it's own lidded beaker and make soups or smoothies, use frozen fruit and veggies plus whey isolate, peanut flour, low fat soft cheese for protein.

You mention your mental health, there are tons of nutrients which are involved in the production of happy hormones, you should also be working to stabilise your blood sugar which means not skipping meals. Remember the human body cannot tell the difference between a famine, anorexia and a restrictive diet - it's all the same it all puts the body into a state of stress.

^^
  • Rebeccaben
    Options
    I would stay away from slim fast, I really don't think it has the best combination of protein to sugar to carbs therefore it doesn't sustain you. It really has too much sugar in it. Like some of the others said you can make your own, but you need the protein in it like yogurt, peanut butter, or a protein powder, rice protein is good and you can find it with no sugar. Or for that matter you can go to a GNC or Whole foods for a protein drink mixes and get a hand shaker if you need to make it and you have no access to an electric blender. I use HMR sometimes which is simular to Opifast they are both used for medical weight loss. But if you are having difficulty eating enough protein shakes can help fill In the gaps.
  • mollytrichards
    mollytrichards Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 Shakeology shake a day and it is crazy awesome when it comes to the best ingredients, the taste ( chocolate is the bomb) and the energy I get from it. Everyone around me has the flu but me so that makes me happy too :)
    I have never had a slim fast shake or even been a shake fan until i found shakeology! Cheers to health! :)
  • SaucyPea
    Options
    A lot of people do this,( me included) but I wouldn't stick with it. Slim fast isn't the best choice either. I do Herbalife meal replacement shakes, and I only do that when I am restarting ( like after the Holidays to rid of bloat and junk in my system) A lot of people would also recommend Visalus. Slim fast has a lot of hidden junk in it. You may find yourself very hungry doing two a day, maybe do one a day, you don't want to run into binge eating.

I doubt I'll start binging as I tend to hardly eat, I'm kinda forcing food into myself. I guess I'll try it for a week or so. If I feel hungry? I'll try Visalus as recommend by you. Thanks for the advise though everybody! ♥

Concerned when I hear your forcing yourself to eat. Take care of yourself and remember your body needs nutrition and only way your going to remain healthy and reach your goals.

I'm 18st so don't be concerned, I just force myself because I was previously in care and went days without eating because I wanted to be left alone. Also suffer bad depression that tends to take it toll and stops me from eating. I also tend to skip breakfast, dinner and maybe get lunch in. But now I'm trying to loose weight? I try to do breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack while tracking it all. So hopefully a 1200 cals per a day diet, wont only help me lose weight. But also give my body what it needs. Well thats what I hope. Just I don't like soild food that much.. I love soups and may start slim fast shakes to make sure I'm getting enough protine to keep me going.

Sounds like your on the road to recovery :smile: I had some problems eating the 1200 calories also. I had no idea I wasn't eating enough before. I also know how depression can be. And you know eating right and taking care of yourself is going to make you feel a lot better. I know you will do well. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, slowly going there. Got my mum on MFP too (I don't live with her) and my boyfriends helping me. I just want to be healthier, slimmer and happier. I hate my body due to my past and since meeting my current boyfriend. My lifes been positive. Need that extra push now and its losing weight!

Thanks though :)
  • SaucyPea
    Options
    Okay, you've all given me mixed reviews on this. But I can afford a belnder and I don't know if a hand blended will work (thats all I got..) to make smothies with. Plus I wouldn't have the money to buy the ingrediants! I've only brought up the slim fast subject because I heard it has a good protine level and thats what I need. Plus.. I hardly like soild food and slim fast milkshake will be a liquid. I'd only have it for breakfast and lunch, then have a soild dinner and possibly soild snacks throughout the day staying within my 1200 cal's a day limit. But thats only until I get myself an apprenteceship where I can earn money then do better healthy stuff to lose weight.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    SlimFast is fine. It is also very effective.

For people that use it as a meal replacement. Their main issue is when they revert back to normal food sources and adjusting their habits and eating patterns to match their new weight. This is the same for ANY type of diet.

For people that have it WITH a meal, it is used basically as a vitamin supplement with extra calories (really small people that do not really eat much at all benefit greatly from this, usually a doctor would recommend it if you are one of those people).

So, yes. It is viable, and has actually had studies done on it (I don't have readily available). It works. Period.

Now what you do AFTER... that's really where the hard work comes in.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to eat this way the rest of your life, then liquid diets have a HIGH weight regain record. Do it right. Learn how to eat food with the right macros/micros and calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Shame on you, that isn't true. I have used Slimfast before and converted to regular food just fine in that past.

Um... hmmm.... should I point out that Slim Fast did not work if you have "60 pounds to go"? Oh, right but it's never that the product sucks, and it wouldn't be wisest to find a way to eat real food and lose weight. That's just dumb.
  • whitesox56
    Options
    I did the shakes, lost 10 lbs in a week and gained back 20 within 8 months after I stopped them.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    What people FAIL to realize, is that after you STOP doing ANY meal replacement shakes, you can't just go back to your regular eating habits. You still need to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle, or yeah..you will gain your weight back, and plus some.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    SMOOTHIES. Such an easy way to get your fruits, vegetables and protein (in yogurt form) without having to chew anything. Look up recipes for green smoothies if you want to do veggies, and look in the frozen fruit section for convenient fruit options. Bananas and lemon juice are your friend.
  • kathy53b
    kathy53b Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used slim fast for a year for 1 meal supplement & to help me with my chocolate problem :-). I lost 90lbs but have gain 20 lbs back. I joined MFP just over a week ago. I now make my own smoothie drinks with fat free milk, fruit and yogurt. I think this is the best option for me now. It is fun to experiment with different combination and find it more fulling. I have a Magic Bullet that I use.
  • SaucyPea
    Options
    What people FAIL to realize, is that after you STOP doing ANY meal replacement shakes, you can't just go back to your regular eating habits. You still need to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle, or yeah..you will gain your weight back, and plus some.

Well, I'm hoping that if I do this meal replacement with Slim Fast or another replacement shake. Afterwoods, when I do eventually go back onto soilds or "proper meals". I'll be able to eat healthy, reguarly exersize and keep the weight off while also still losing it. God knows how I'll manage that, but I'll ask about it nearer to the time. I like your advise though, seems like you know ALOT.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    A hand blender should work if you use fresh fruit or vegetables, but it will be harder with frozen fruit. The nice thing about frozen fruit is that it is cheaper, and usually better quality than fruit that's not in season.

Here's a simple and cheap one you can try in a hand blender.

1 banana
    1 small chopped head of romaine lettuce, or 1.5 cups of spinach
    juice of 1 lemon
    apple and/or pear, pre-diced
    a few celery sticks (optional)
    parsley or other herb if you have them (optional)
    water

This is the equivalent of a decent salad and a snack. (It's based on Kimberly Snyder's smoothie, which you can google)
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

Well, I'm hoping that if I do this meal replacement with Slim Fast or another replacement shake. Afterwoods, when I do eventually go back onto soilds or "proper meals". I'll be able to eat healthy, reguarly exersize and keep the weight off while also still losing it. God knows how I'll manage that, but I'll ask about it nearer to the time. I like your advise though, seems like you know ALOT.

I'm really still learning a lot. I have been struggling a lot! I have been consistently losing weight in the last 9 months mainly because of calorie counting, and working out. So long you watch your macros, and stay within your calorie goals, and maybe add some light walking for now..you should see results...I know I did. I started off on MFP knowing nothing, just calorie counting. Then someone brought to my attention to watch my macros! Then I started working out, and before I knew it.. my body and attitude was changing. It's a great feeling!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to eat this way the rest of your life, then liquid diets have a HIGH weight regain record. Do it right. Learn how to eat food with the right macros/micros and calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Shame on you, that isn't true. I have used Slimfast before and converted to regular food just fine in that past.
    What an odd response to a fact.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    A hand blender should work if you use fresh fruit or vegetables, but it will be harder with frozen fruit. The nice thing about frozen fruit is that it is cheaper, and usually better quality than fruit that's not in season.

1 banana
    1 small head of romaine lettuce, or 1.5 cups of spinach
    juice of 1 lemon
    apple and/or pear
    water

This is the equivalent of a decent salad and a snack. (It's based on Kimberly Snyder's smoothie, which you can google)

I agree here. 100%. AND YES Lemon juice IS your friend!! I recently learned this!
  • whitesox56
    Options

I can attest to this first hand. I did the shakes to lose weight quick for a vacation and I lost 10 in a week but I went back to my old eating habits and gained a ton back.

I am almost tempted to start doing the shakes again. I think it would be a good kickstart for me and I know I am more disciplined this time...
  • SaucyPea
    Options

1 banana
    1 small head of romaine lettuce, or 1.5 cups of spinach
    juice of 1 lemon
    apple and/or pear
    water

I agree here. 100%. AND YES Lemon juice IS your friend!! I recently learned this!

Sound's good to be honest! I have some money, so hopefully I can get this.. and stay within my two week food budget. x