tea as water?

Options
2»

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't really keep track of water on here because I know I drink plenty but yes, I do count my plain iced tea as water.
    1. When I add a teabag or two to the water when I make it does the water disappear?? No.
    2. The caffeine in iced tea is so low I don't really count that either (according to my cold brew box 15 mg per 8 oz). Now this is low to me since I used to drink pop a lot and was drinking more like 40-60 mg.
    3. I am obsessed with iced tea. I do like and drink water but iced tea is really my favorite drink.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This topic comes round frequently as the 8 glasses thing is an old myth that came from a misquoted medical report. We need about 8 glasses of water a day BUT most of that comes from food anyway.
    Tea is mostly water so it's great. Caffeine's diuretic effect is negligible in coffee and tea and even Coke.

The tannins does impede iron absorption so just avoid tea for the hour or so either side of a meal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How can something that's water not count as water?
    Think about it for a second. Is it magically not water anymore because something was added to it? Water still isn't the base for the drink? That makes as much sense as saying that if I mix 2 tablespoons of peanut butter into a pint of ice cream, it's not ice cream any more because something else was added to it and "magically" cancelled out the ice cream (as much as we'd like it to be that way, the body knows better!)

If you add something to water that has calories, of course you count the calories. But it's still water, and it's still hydrating you.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Tea without caffeine should count - I don't count black/caffeinated tea (or coffee) as it works as a diuretic and I don't know how much water I'm keeping or losing because of it. That said, it's probably so negligible that you can count it if you want, water requirements for humans are pretty flexible lol

Editing to add that the amount of caffeine in tea is hilariously low anyways! If you were drinking like, 8 cups of coffee a day, I'd start making compensations.
  • Angeliize
    Options
    Interesting question. My bf and i go back and forth on this. I drink entirely too much "water" but he feels I am adding chemicals into my body because I add propel to my water. It's the only way I can tolerate it. I drink about 125 ounces a day. I got dehydrated once and ended up in the hospital. That will not happen again. I have been counting it water when I remember to do so.
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    liquid is liquid - I have heard both sides of the argument and my opinion is I count my tea (3 a day - 2 reg and 1 decaf after dinner).
    We get alot of liquid from other ways than just water - all drinks, soup, fruit...
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I eat chocolate or a coffee bean and then wash it down with plain water, does the water count? It's really the same argument.
  • ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have often wondered this myself. I personally don't count it - but then I usually don't count water even, I really don't keep track of that...don't know if it matters.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The simplest way is, frankly, to look at your urine (I admit this is notably easier for a man). The closer to clear, the better your hydration level. If it's dark yellow, you need more water.