Can you have a healthy diet on Slim Fast Milk Shake Powder?

Options
13»

Replies

• SaucyPea
    Options
    What people FAIL to realize, is that after you STOP doing ANY meal replacement shakes, you can't just go back to your regular eating habits. You still need to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle, or yeah..you will gain your weight back, and plus some.

Well, I'm hoping that if I do this meal replacement with Slim Fast or another replacement shake. Afterwoods, when I do eventually go back onto soilds or "proper meals". I'll be able to eat healthy, reguarly exersize and keep the weight off while also still losing it. God knows how I'll manage that, but I'll ask about it nearer to the time. I like your advise though, seems like you know ALOT.

I'm really still learning a lot. I have been struggling a lot! I have been consistently losing weight in the last 9 months mainly because of calorie counting, and working out. So long you watch your macros, and stay within your calorie goals, and maybe add some light walking for now..you should see results...I know I did. I started off on MFP knowing nothing, just calorie counting. Then someone brought to my attention to watch my macros! Then I started working out, and before I knew it.. my body and attitude was changing. It's a great feeling!

What the hell is Macros? o.o
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Macronutrients: protein, fat, carbohydrates. Micronutrients are things like vitamins and minerals.
  • SaucyPea
    Options

Macronutrients: protein, fat, carbohydrates. Micronutrients are things like vitamins and minerals.

Thank you.. :P I never knew this.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Thank you.. :P I never knew this.

Yep! And this tool with his too-tight shirt explains it pretty well, well IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5MM0w_1NE
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    I honestly love it- just because it works for me if I can't convince myself to chew food early in the morning (laziness at its best hahaha) and I can drink it while I'm driving to work (convenience!).

But I have a few tricks as I find the shake itself doesn't fill me up all the time- like using a stick blender and adding strawberries, peanut butter (crunchy of course haha), banana, even baby spinach and greek yoghurt....... makes an awesome base and tastes delicious when you need a chocolate hit!

Best of luck to you!
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I also suggest juicing, and making your own smoothies and replacment shakes. I just recently bought myself the " Mega Ninja Kitchen System". You can also just use any ole blender lol. There are so many healthy yummy smoothies you can make that a nutrient packed and KEEP you full. Look into that instead of Slim fast!! Juicing and making smoothies rocks, no lie. You know EXACTLY what you are consuming, and it's super easy. A regular juicer can run you 50-100$. Or, you can just use a blender for a thicker consistency, or just strain it.

Does that work? Using a blender and straining? I want to be able to juice kale and other dark leafy greens but the juicers that are cheaper are usually not mastication juicers and I weary about spending 300+ to make juice...
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I also suggest juicing, and making your own smoothies and replacment shakes. I just recently bought myself the " Mega Ninja Kitchen System". You can also just use any ole blender lol. There are so many healthy yummy smoothies you can make that a nutrient packed and KEEP you full. Look into that instead of Slim fast!! Juicing and making smoothies rocks, no lie. You know EXACTLY what you are consuming, and it's super easy. A regular juicer can run you 50-100$. Or, you can just use a blender for a thicker consistency, or just strain it.

Does that work? Using a blender and straining? I want to be able to juice kale and other dark leafy greens but the juicers that are cheaper are usually not mastication juicers and I weary about spending 300+ to make juice...

My friend has this juicer and LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSSS it!!! She said its a water juice consistency, not thicker like you would have with just blending.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bella-13454-juicer-juice-extractor?ID=464992&CategoryID=7554&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Bella&sp=1&spc=44&ruleId=65&slotId=6

But yes, you can blend, and then strain. --- read this! http://testkitchentuesday.com/2011/01/04/getting-juiced-how-to-make-juice-with-a-ninja-blender/
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options

My friend has this juicer and LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSSS it!!! She said its a water juice consistency, not thicker like you would have with just blending.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bella-13454-juicer-juice-extractor?ID=464992&CategoryID=7554&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Bella&sp=1&spc=44&ruleId=65&slotId=6

But yes, you can blend, and then strain. --- read this! http://testkitchentuesday.com/2011/01/04/getting-juiced-how-to-make-juice-with-a-ninja-blender/

ooo! If my blender doesnt cut it I'll head over to macy's wedsite for sure! Thanks!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have recently been doing 2 days of shakes a week - it helps me 'reset' each week. I have chosen a brand that has all the nutrients i need.

YOu can read my experience here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806664-anyone-tried-isagenix?page=2#posts-12158172
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    You sure can make it work. I would consider purchasing the slim fast powder instead of the premade shakes. It's cheaper in the long run. If you blend it up with skim milk and fresh fruit and berries it will up the nutrition. You could throw in a handful of spinach to your shake as well, you won't be able to taste it.
    Make your snacks count. Do almonds, cut up veggies..something simple.
    Dinner do lean protein and some good veggies and whole grain.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In one of your responses you said you like soup. If you are on a low budget you could make big pots of soup and freeze in individual portions. Probably cheaper than slim fast and better for you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It works because it helps people stay in a deficit, is it healthy, not so much.

Nutrition facts: per serving, 190 cals, 6g fat, 200mg sodium, 5g fiber, 18g sugar, 10g protein

INGREDIENTS: Fat Free Milk, Sugar, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Canola Oil, Fructose, Calcium Caseinate, Gum Arabic, Cellulose Gel, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Mono and Diglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Soybean Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Isolated Soy Protein, Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Sucralose and Acesulfame (Nonnutritive Sweeteners), Dextrose, Potassium Carrageenan, Citric Acid and Sodium Citrate

Basically a sugar bomb with a few nasties thrown in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 Shakeology shake a day and it is crazy awesome when it comes to the best ingredients, the taste ( chocolate is the bomb) and the energy I get from it. Everyone around me has the flu but me so that makes me happy too :)
    I have never had a slim fast shake or even been a shake fan until i found shakeology! Cheers to health! :)
    Lol, nice plug for shakeology from a "coach".:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    What people FAIL to realize, is that after you STOP doing ANY meal replacement shakes, you can't just go back to your regular eating habits. You still need to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle, or yeah..you will gain your weight back, and plus some.
    So why not learn how to eat correct in the first place without the shakes?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    slim fast shakes are expensive and you can achieve the same thing, with less garbage ingredients and sugar and money, with whey or casein shakes. slim fast has as much sugar as a chocolate bar and isn't healthy... you can do better. :)
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with substituting meals with shakes, but there are far better choices out there than slim fast. Like a previous poster said, there is a lot of hidden junk in Slim fast
  • rachel8993
    Options
    be careful this way can be boring if you have trouble eating standard meal times break it down to a few smaller meals as long as you don't do without the calories amount your allowed .
  • rachel8993
    Options
    great to know your getting yourself sorted and its great that you have somebody that loves you but the most important thing is you learn to love yourself exercise would be good for you i don't mean hammering a gym just get out and walk you feel how much better you will feel after
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    I suppose....but you won't be very happy.
    Life is hard enough.
    Don't make it harder on yourself.

There are some really inspirational posts by people who have lost the weight and kept if off.
    Listen to them and learn.
    I wouldn't trust the advice of anyone who has been using any sort of fad, specially the ones who have been at it for a month.