Kids with allergies to food dyes?

Options
ashesmf
ashesmf Posts: 100 Member
My 4 yo's Dr. just suggested she may be allergic to food dyes, particularly RED 40. Just wondering if anyone else has kids with these allergies. Her behavior/emotions are just so out of control. We've removed all processed food (which I know we should have done since the beginning). I'm just wondering about anyone's experiences.

Replies

• Feingolder
    Options
    Technically it's a "sensitivity" not an allergy but many, many people (not just children) have problems with synthetic dyes and not just red 40. Red 40 is used the most so the reactions are most noticed--hyperactivity, irritability, sleep problems, etc.. They (plus some flavorings and some preservatives) are made from petroleum - not something you want in your body. I belong to a support group and have learned where these additives lurk - not just in foods either. The name of the org. is called the Feingold Association, named for the dr who popularized the link between diet and behavior. Its website is www.feingold.org

There's also a Yahoo group - no substitute for the Feingold Assoc, but informative: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feingold-Program4us/
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    My sensitivity started around the age of 16, it's not the red dye 40, it's another red that's less common. Still, I have to be careful, so far my worst reaction was a bloated face, looking like a bad plastic surgery. Benadryl helped me get back to normal and i've removed that mouthwash out of my life. I can't have kool aids, most powdered juices and mr. Freeze pops.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm not a kid lol, but at about 20years I started to develop a sensitivity for food coloring. My skind breaks out really bad if I consume any kind of food that has artificial coloring in it.

Is your kid better now? Or is she still going all hyper? My brother in law got really hperactive as a kid due to too much carbs in his diet.