hrm running vs. walking

Options
2»

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you burned more calories, you put 53 minutes of your day towards walking/running with your son. Calories burned aside you did something beneficial to your body and basic mindset. The weight loss will come, just keep it up and most importantly, enjoy it!
    My daughter, but absolutely I loved doing it. She's 8 so some 1 on 1 bonding time has been great. I have 4 of them so 1 on 1 time is something I work hard to create for each of them.

Edit: Great first post, welcome to MFP!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you burned more calories, you put 53 minutes of your day towards walking/running with your son. Calories burned aside you did something beneficial to your body and basic mindset. The weight loss will come, just keep it up and most importantly, enjoy it!
    My daughter, but absolutely I loved doing it. She's 8 so some 1 on 1 bonding time has been great. I have 4 of them so 1 on 1 time is something I work hard to create for each of them.

Edit: Great first post, welcome to MFP!

If you're in the US, there is a program called Girls on the Run that starts in 3rd grade. It's a running/self-esteem program. Look into it - maybe your school has a chapter or you could start one. My daughter started it this year and LOVES it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There is a study that was done that disputes your HRM. someone posted it here on MFP. It suggested that walking does not burn the same at all. In fact, if I remember correctly, it burns about 30 to 40% less. An HRM simply has an algorithm built into it. Who knows what that algorithm contains? It could be off. It doesn't really read calories, that's not its function, it reads your heart beat and it does that pretty well. Cals burned is a pretty wild guesstimate.
    Less is more what I expected and it could very well be because from my reading and understanding an HRM is good for constant activity at an elevated level. I generally don't use it for non exercise activities but I was walk/running (mostly walking) with my 8 yr old who just began training for a 5K. My HRM connects to my phone and I use an app that tracks and maps. I'd like to put the HRM on her more out of curiosity than anything else but I don't want her to worry about that kind of stuff right now. Right now we walk when she wants to walk and we run when she wants to run. No plan, no structure, I just want it to be fun with her and us spending time together has been great.

That's far more important. I did the same with my son.

FWIW, my HRM calculates walking and running the same as far as cals burned. But, I just don't believe it. With running, your hopping, with breif periods of no feet on the ground. With walking, there is always a foot on the ground, so no hopping. It is more effort to run. But, that's not really the point with what you are doing. So, non-issue.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have been using a HRM for over 10+ years and monitoring my calorie's taken in during that time and I have to tell you they are pretty close to accurate. The HRM is going to be your best and most accurate option for your true burn and the MFP and others I have found (in my opinion) to be way off).

Keep in mind your body and exercises are not static and they wont always be consistent. There are a lot of variables that come into play and I can do the same exact workout, at the same exact pace, etc for a week straight and come up with different calories burned. Its not a significant difference but there will always be some.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you're in the US, there is a program called Girls on the Run that starts in 3rd grade. It's a running/self-esteem program. Look into it - maybe your school has a chapter or you could start one. My daughter started it this year and LOVES it.
    My daughter is signed up for that but it doesn't start till March. She's been bugging me to run with me since I started running so she's getting a jump start on it.
  • tweetymom8
    tweetymom8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My knees ache when I run. I am 52. I try to never run. But I can kick butt on an elliptical and it never bothers them at all. High calorie burn and very low impact.