*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• DonnaMDaniels
    DonnaMDaniels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Donna, 36 year old mother of 2. I have done this trying to lose weight thing several times, I currently weigh 257, first goal is to get under 200... then i will set my final goal. I could use the support. Thank you
  • hmayo86
    hmayo86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone! I have a question for the group: what's a good way to stretch out sore muscles? I've attempted Insanity twice but my knees can't hold out long enough to complete the second month, but I've found that I was much more limber and never felt sore in my back or upper body like I have the last few weeks doing a few Jillian Michaels DVDs. I try to continue stretching once the DVD is finished but I don't feel like it's enough. I loved the way I felt after Insanity, it was just too intense for my knees. Any suggestions?
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone! I have a question for the group: what's a good way to stretch out sore muscles? I've attempted Insanity twice but my knees can't hold out long enough to complete the second month, but I've found that I was much more limber and never felt sore in my back or upper body like I have the last few weeks doing a few Jillian Michaels DVDs. I try to continue stretching once the DVD is finished but I don't feel like it's enough. I loved the way I felt after Insanity, it was just too intense for my knees. Any suggestions?

I don't really understand the question...are you asking how to do a post-workout stretching routine? I know the stretching at the end of 30DS is pretty lame, so I always did extra stretches in addition to the ones on the video. I just worked up the body stretching all the muscles I'd used, legs (front, back and side), back and sides, arms and neck (that's a lie, I used to do arms whilst I was doing legs to save time) but the principle is the same. I've never done insanity so I'm not really sure what the cooldown is like, but if it worked for you couldn't you just write it down and do it after the Jillian Michael's one? Or have I completely missed the point!?
    If you're looking for stretches for particular muscles I may be able to be more specifically helpful!
  • tif83
    tif83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Tiffany and I'm def looking for more friends! I have been using myfitnesspal for about a year now and lost 40lbs from my highest weight last Jan. I still have another 120 lbs left to lose, but I am certain I will finally overcome my battle w/ weight.

I work in banking and have since i graduated high school and I just started grad school.

I'm single, no kids, one adorable dog- Rory, a Maltese.

Looking forward to being there for each other and meeting our goals together!!! Let's do this!!!
  • oddberry
    Options
    Wow, I can feel so much love in this group!! I just HAVE to join in!! I am new to MFP but I am loving it so far. I'm OddBerry and I'm a mom of two (13 and 7), wife to love of 14 years, manager of financial aid department at local college, and full time student getting ready to graduate. I have 66lbs to get rid of. And I mean GET RID OF!!! I am not joking. I have always been so motivated and determined to get things going in my career, in my house and in my life but in doing that, my health took a backseat. I wanted to join the Marines when I graduated highschool 14 years ago but the universe had a better plan for me. However, even though I didn't join the Marines, I still have that mentality. I'm a brute and I know it. I'm a firecracker and I'm tired of being tired. I'm a serious ball of energy and it's high time I started feeling like I act. I will be anyone and everyones supporter and motivator if you are willing to give me the same. I am so excited to find this group and can't wait until I feel like a part of the family.
  • DarkshineGirl
    Options
    Hi, my name's Anita, I'm 28, and I've been trying to use MFP to help track my calorie intake and use it as a sort of food journal. I'm not sure what my current weight is, and I'm a little too ashamed to try and step on a scale to find out, but my last weigh in was 243 a few months ago. I know my ultimate goal is the 130's, a number I haven't seen since my freshman days in high school.

I used to be in fairly good shape despite major back surgery when I was 15, while I was a little overweight it wasn't as hard on me, plus I still worked with livestock until I graduated. Then when I was 19 I was in a serious car wreck that left me wheelchair bound for a few months, and the weight slowly crept on. It didn't help that I was in a relationship that turned poisonous, and constant comments about my weight made me yo-yo diet. I went up to 230, then down to 198 thanks to a semester of hardcore dieting (1200 calories or less, no carbs at all, all water) and exercise (weight lifting classes 2 times a week, water exercise classes 2 times a week, plus racquetball about 3 hours a day 4 days a week), but gained it all back and then some when I miscarried and my boyfriend got himself an upgrade. Add in to that leaving him only to gain a mistake of a short term marriage, and I've been my own worst enemy, mostly not caring what I did or didn't do.

Right now my biggest obstacle is my own mind and lack of self esteem. I've been dating a wonderful guy for a few months now who also needs to lose a lot of weight, and we've been trying to do it together, but I'm finding myself embarrassed and discouraged because he's already dropped close to 10 pounds since the start of the year, while I'm not sure I've lost any. The difference is he works as an assistant manager in the meat and seafood section of a grocery store, so there's a lot of lifting, walking, etc, while I work a desk job. I'm extremely proud of him, but at the same time I feel like such a failure. It's hard for me to find motivation to move, especially when I live at least a 40 minute drive from everyone I know, and I feel extremely self conscious exercising alone, even in my own house.

On top of everything else, I battle anxiety and PCOS, as if my life wasn't interesting enough, lol.

So, yeah... here's to hoping I can get the weight off and keep it off.
  • hmayo86
    hmayo86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I don't really understand the question...are you asking how to do a post-workout stretching routine? I know the stretching at the end of 30DS is pretty lame, so I always did extra stretches in addition to the ones on the video. I just worked up the body stretching all the muscles I'd used, legs (front, back and side), back and sides, arms and neck (that's a lie, I used to do arms whilst I was doing legs to save time) but the principle is the same. I've never done insanity so I'm not really sure what the cooldown is like, but if it worked for you couldn't you just write it down and do it after the Jillian Michael's one? Or have I completely missed the point!?
    If you're looking for stretches for particular muscles I may be able to be more specifically helpful!

Sorry I wasn't more clear. But you answered my question lol I didn't think about just doing the insanity cool down after. Now I feel a little dense :blushing: thanks!
  • Ashuhbear
    Options
    My name is Ashlee, and I'm 19. I'm young, and I need to lose 50 pounds. know I need I tackle this problem now before I get older and it leads to health issues. Or I get even more depressed. I miss being skinny among friends and hanging out all the time. I want control of my body again. I am a student, taking general college courses right now. Plan to major in rehabilitation psycology :)

Started to use MFP to take control of what I put in my body, and to keep track of it. Turns out there are many kind and friendly people here needing or wanting motivation just like me! And I figured, hey, let's all help each other!
    Hello everyone!
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people. Keep coming back here and posting, the more you come back the more you get of this.

Ashlee: Welcome to MFP. Glad to hear you got your head in the game, and your right better do this then later because its so much harder the older you get.

Anita: Welcome to MFP. Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time but you can't let that get to you and the goal you want. You deserve this as much as anyone, so just put yourself first and simply do it. Once you see the weight coming off, you will get more motivated and will start encouraging your bf and he in return.

Welcome Oddberry and Tiffany.

Well today was overall good. Dad is doing well and home to rest. My eating was great but very lacking in drinking water and exercising. Happy to say I lost of the lbs I gained over the weekend. Now to get to a lower number before Friday weigh in.
    Hope everyone is doing well.

Julie
  • gwenpen13
    Options
    This is a silly question... But my husband thinks my butt looks smaller since the beginning of the week. I feel that my stomach also feels squishier. I have only lost 4 lbs. Is it possible that newly acquired weight comes off faster than that which has been toted around for years and decades?

I'd think fat is fat. Before my surgery, it had been there for decades and it took a while to notice any change. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced that with a recent gain then trying to lose.
  • gemaudlin
    Options
    Hello! My name is Gabrielle. I'm 22 years old. 5'6". I started my weight loss journey in December of 2011. I started at 276 pounds. I have no gotten down to 201 pounds! My end goal is to be 140. A lot has happened over the last year. I ended up separating from my fiance, became a single mother, and found out that my 3 year old son has Autism. I haven't been trying as hard as I should be. I am looking for supportive friends who can help me through losing the last 60 pounds! I'm over half way through my weight loss journey. Anybody out there that can help motivate me and keep me from giving up?

Please add me!
  • SRT4twg
    SRT4twg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Caren and I new to MFP. I look on the Message Boards every day for motivation and success stories and came across your discussion. I am looking for more friends so please add me!

I am 26 years old, 5'4" and 192lb. My goal weight is 140 so I have 52lb to go. I have struggled with my weight my entire life it seems. I started using MFP about a week and a half ago when i started back to the gym after falling off the wagon again for about 5 months. Now I'm back to my 4/days week gym schedule and using MFP to log my calories.

I read through almost everyone's stores (sorry there where so many!) but I have a question/statement to add. Does anyone ever feel like they sabotage themselves before they even get start? I have always weight more than all my girlfriends(I'm sure that not a 100% accurate but that how I always feel), always been most overweight person in my family. I feel like I just cant loose any weight. I know that i want to but underneath everything I really do just feel like its not possible. I've maybe lost 10-20lb before but then i just gain it all back. Does anyone else have a similar issue?

After being on MFP for a week i did my second weigh in and couldn't believe my eyes! 10lb had dropped off my scale(prob 5 water weight i hold a lot during that time of the month) but still! For once I have some hope that this time I will loose the weight. *Crossing Fingers*

So I will be following all of your stories and hope to hear about your success and try and help motivate where i can :)

Please add me!
  • CanToGirl
    Options
    Welcome Caren, at times I feel the world is against me but when I know I am doing what is right for me,I just push through the negative and it may take time but you will get there and lose the weight you want to lose.

Today going decent so far. Had to go grocery shopping and so sticking cold out didn't want to do it. Then Eve (my daughter) wanted to do more shopping...well who can resist her?!? Well we are in the potty training stage. And she told daddy that she wanted a little potty not what mom and dad uses. So went to find one and of course they ran out!! Who runs out of potty training chair? So I had enough and went home. And sitting here with a thick blanket and still cold. So going to make some hot apple cider and hope to warm up.
    Take care everyone
    Julie

P.S. Gwen after 8 lbs I lost, I can see it in my face. No one else can but I do. So it possible.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Super, super quick post... because I've been a little MIA in this thread:

Hey all... this week has been - well, crazy! I'm way, way under the weather - and even after going to the doctor, I end up with issues with the stupid medicine. Ended up with some new meds today - to hopefully help that barfing everywhere feeling. and, using lots of the guaifenesin to help prevent a repeat of this morning - scary moment of stuff being caught in my throat, couldn't breathe, couldn't get a breath in to have a cough... awful! ... the scale? Shows that I've been on a steroid... and, I'm hungry, hungry, hungry! :( Eek...

OK... gotta run, i'm sooooo tired of being Negative!
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    RIght, so the UK is currently undergoing difficulties due to snow and it's making me sad. It makes me cold (I have tights on under my jeans and socks), boots on, a vest top, a thermal long sleeve top and a nice woolly jumper (with a robin on), and I'm still cold. And it's already 9.45 and still the office is empty...I got here at 9 no problems, cycled through the very light snow that had just started falling. My director and associate left for a meeting at 9,30, and literally noone else is in yet except the receptionist and 2 people from another company that share the building. I'm in a bad mood, AND i had to stay an hour late last night, and 35mins late the day before. The cold (and the grumpiness) is making me want to eat all the food. Blergh.
    In addition, although it's started early, it's really meant to set in around lunchtime, so I'm expecting a pig of a journey home, and since it's due to be so bad it's unlikely my bf will be able to travel here tonight for the weekend. (hour train ride into london, 30mins across london by tube, and then 30min train journey out to me).
    Anyways, at least my eating has been on track up til now this week, and I've kept up my cycling despite the freezing cold weather, so small victories I guess.
    Also...if we do get the multiple inches of snow forecast I won't be able to cycle home from the station, which will suck...and will mean trudging through the snow pushing my bike, and the basket will probably be filled with snow so it'll be extra heavy...but I guess the small thing is at least it'll be a burn! (I wonder how much extra cals pushing something is when walking?)
    BLERGH

Also Caren, yes sometimes I feel like that, but sometimes I don't. I often think I can't do it, and more often than not, when I think it it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. However when I'm feeling like that, if I try too hard to be artificially positive I end up getting even more negative...so for me I just try and stay with what I can do, focus on the short term achievable small things. Like today...well even if my eating does go to pot...at least I cycled and walked to work...! See...it's better than asking my dad (who was working from home today) for a lift to work!

Gwen, my tummy has definitely shrunk a bit, it looks less horrific than it did a week ago, it's probably reduced bloating, but if nothing else it looks deflated (but also less droopy, so more like shrunk). So yes, things can definitely shrink quickly. I've not done measurements to scientifically prove this, but the jeans I bought at the weekend which were loose but not big...are now baggy!

Becky, I hope the new meds work, I don't like you being sick! That truly sucks, but don't worry about the hunger/weight/everything else...your health is WAY MORE important! xxx
  • gwenpen13
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! Hope there is an exciting weekend ahead for everyone!!
    I am horrible at remembering who is who and where people are from. Is it possible to start a new thread or/or do a roll call where it is all spelled out?

I have only been on here 5 days and haven't snooped to see if that is done (it was done on my pregnancy board 5 yrs ago and it helped so much.... if anyone has privileges to edit one entry it could list everyone. I haven't figured out how to edit a post at least.)

But anyhoo - My name is Gwen. I started my MFP journey on Sunday 1/13 I want to lose 75 lbs and am from Michigan. (My profile picture is old - but probably close to the weight I am now). And so happy to have you all here!! :)

ETA: Apparently you have to post so many times before the 'edit' option is offered. :)
  • lifeisclockwork
    Options
    This sounds great! I'm hoping to lose 20+ kg. :D
  • Krane5611
    Krane5611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Karen, and I'm looking to lose about 35 pounds. I know that doesn't seem like much compared to everyone here, but I'm finding it way more difficult than I thought and could use the support. My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2006. When I went through some pelvic prolapse issues in 2007, I took the opportunity to have a total hysterectomy, so my ovaries were removed too. Ever since then, I've built up belly fat so I look pregnant all the time.

I lost my mom and my mother-in-law within 2 weeks of each other in 2010, and I started to not care what I ate or did for exercise. I work 10 hours a day at a computer, and was always too tired to exercise when I got home. This year, I joined a gym to use the pool. I have gone swimming 4 times, attended 2 aqua-fit classes, and one Zumba class since the beginning of the year. I really started to watch what I ate, and thought I'd at least knock a few pounds off in a couple of weeks. I have not lost a thing! If I'm going to get through this, I'll need some friends to help motivate me. Thanks for starting this thread - it's exactly what I need!
  • CanToGirl
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies. The more you come back here, the more you will get out of this. And post whatever is on your mind.

Well been kind of a long week. My dad had his reconstruction surgery Wednesday and my father in law had both his knees replaced on Thursday. So haven't been to the gym since Tuesday. Until today, going there later in the morning while my sister in law watches Eve. Did ok on eating until my crock pot applesauce was done.... So yummiest!! Didn't add to much sugar, so not the worst snack.
    That's all I got for now. Hope everyone is doing well and make good choices.

Julie
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Welp, this sucks... I'm not usually sick and sure haven't been sick for THIS long in a very, very long time if ever. So frustrating! Anyway - this morning I got up and looked in the mirror and started crying... my face is sooooo puffy. My neck is disappeaing, my collarbones? well, what collarbones... they left again. My hands and fingers are fat again. And my arms are all puffy. I know that it's the steroid for this stupid "severe laryngitis" but when they warned me about "a couple of pounds and a possiblitiy of a little bit of puffiness" this is NOT what I expected... far more than a couple of pounds! There are 13+ so far... and it's JUST day 5... I still have 5 more days... and my face makes me cry. Ugh!

Yes... yes... I know that it will "all come right back off" but that's NOT what I care about hearing right now... I know that... but today? in the meantime? I'm sad and pissed... all the areas that I've been the most proud of - the few places that I could actually see the changes in -- my face, my neck, my collarbones, my fingers... all of those are gone. And, it's soooo frustrating. I just want the gaining to stop, the insatiable hunger to stop, the crabbiness to stop, the emotional craziness to stop, all of that crap... I want it to stop!!

On a postive note... Hockey starts back up today... so, I'm happy about that. And, "my guy" is coming over tonight which will provide some comfort and fun. He's not really "my guy" but I don't know what else to call him... it's been almost 8 months - he says he hasn't been seeing anyone else, I have but... figured he needed to ask for it to be exclusive if he wants it to be and I'm not sure if either one of us is ready to say that so... well, in the interest of not calling him my boyfriend and keeping it easy that's what I'll refer to him as for now... lol

Steph: Great work on the release! That's awesome... so keep it up! :)

OddBerry: Feel the love... because we have a whole lot of it in here - keep coming back and you'll fall right on in with all of us!

Caren: I think that we all often sabatoge ourselves, the trick is to do it less often and less severe! ;) This is a great group for support, so stick around and you'll continue to see those numbers!

Laura/Penny: Did your boyfriend make it? I really hope that he did... what better way to make it through a cold weekend?!? And, thanks for your feedback, I wish that I could ignore it - I was doing ok, didn't step on a scale for days but after seeing my face, I did... ugh! Anyway - thanks!

Julie: That's a lot going on in the health arena... glad they are doing ok. The homemade applesauce? I'm jealous!! I imagine your whole home was smelling yummy so good thing you picked something healthy! :)

Welcome to all the newcomers -- keep on coming back! :)