"The Virgin Diet"

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn and (grouped together) sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/16/virgin-diet-drop-7-foods-lose-7-pounds-in-1-week/?intcmp=features#ixzz2HHv4lCtO

Trouble is that, if you leave out dairy, then there goes the calcium. Leave off eggs, and there goes protein.
What do you think of this diet?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends avoiding certain foods for any reasons other than allergies and/or intolerances is not something I am going to do or advocate.

Maintain a calorie deficit, eat all foods in moderation, and exercise = success.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn and (grouped together) sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/16/virgin-diet-drop-7-foods-lose-7-pounds-in-1-week/?intcmp=features#ixzz2HHv4lCtO

Trouble is that, if you leave out dairy, then there goes the calcium. Leave off eggs, and there goes protein.

I can drop 7 lbs no problem without having to give up any foods I like. Any 'diet' that suggests that you give up foods that you enjoy is an epic failure
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends avoiding certain foods for any reasons other than allergies and/or intolerances is not something I am going to do or advocate.

Maintain a calorie deficit, eat all foods in moderation, and exercise = success.

^^^ What she said! Eat the foods you love, try some new "healthier" foods, work out what works for you! But keeping an eye on your calories, exercising and keeping things in balance is how you get healthy. The weight will take care of itself.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think it's a gimmick that preys on desperation. Just eat less calories! Things like gluten and dairy can cause bloating, and cutting them out I guess can cause the illusion of weight loss.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The virgin diet... this is NOT what I was expecting

... so dissapoint
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    cat_zps521da84e.jpg
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Sounds almost like Paleo. Just keep eggs. You get carbs through veggies and fruit. Protein through eggs and lean meats. Fat from meat and nuts.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Can I still have trouser snake?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I saw an ad in the free issue of Prevention magazine I got this month. My first thought: oh, look...another *kitten* diet guru preying on people desperate for a quick weight-loss fix that is totally unsustainable for most. My second thought: lucky b*tch, I bet she sells a million copies this month. :tongue:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^ This.

Dairy and eggs make up a good portion of my diet (as well as my protein intake) and I've had no problems losing weight. Cutting them out for no reason other than a magazine article about some whack job's fad diet doesn't do it for me. Sounds like Dr. Virgin is trying to jump on the Dr. Oz bandwagon.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Can I still have trouser snake?

My thoughts exactly.

Perhaps keeping this diet can make you so annoying at dinner parties and restaurants that you can remain a virgin, if you are one in the first place. ...And I say that as a gluten-intolerant person who gets to be annoying most days...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I was hoping this was a thread about how dragons lose weight. "Eat only virgins and the pounds will just roll off. Be careful of the spinsters, though. They're pretty gamey."
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Given that I don't eat eggs, gluten, soy, and as yesterday dairy because of intolerances I'd like to weigh in:

No reason to give up foods you don't have to, it's silly and your body will lose it's ability to digest them if it goes too long without them.

Dairy is not a great source for calcium, our bodies can't absorb much calcium from dairy, so that's not a problem.

If you are only getting your protein from eggs you have a whole other issue.

I know quite a few of us who are egg/dairy free and doing just fine, vegans manage to do quite well also.
  • AnnesNewLifestyle
    Options
    I agree. Bottom line - it's calories in vs. calories out.
  • tomsawyerv
    Options
    I imagine this diet works not for whatever ridiculous reasons they claim, but because eliminating those items forces you to scrutinize your food so carefully, you end up doing what most of us on MFP are doing. It's just an extreme version.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think I can lose 7 pounds in about 3 weeks and keep most all that (that I want to eat) in my diet. Fast weight loss is most often due to lean body mass (muscle) loss... Lose muscle that weighs more than fat... not a good exchange. Slow and steady... Since we are losing a lot of protein on this diet, apparently, it may stand to reason that one would lose weight quickly... just not the kind of weight you want to lose. All things in proper balance.
  • livelifenow91
    livelifenow91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had to go off gluten for Celiacs Disease. believe me, it is in EVERYTHING. I don't recommend giving it up. i miss gluten every day of my life. enjoy life, you only get to do it once. don't spend it eating food you hate and ignore the foods you love - just love them in moderation.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The virgin diet... this is NOT what I was expecting

... so dissapoint

I thought it would be different too!
    Oh man! I was hoping this was a thread about how dragons lose weight. "Eat only virgins and the pounds will just roll off. Be careful of the spinsters, though. They're pretty gamey."

Full on GIGGLES HERE!!!!
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    just the name alone does not sound like my cup of tea.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So, are we eating virgins, or do we have to be virgins? I guess if a dragon were to eat us, we would weigh a lot less.