Cheap and Free Exercise ideas for the BROKE (like me) :D

Options
Just wanted to throw this out there and also see if there are any new ideas for cardio -- Especially for us apartment dwellers who live on the top.

I also have joint issues (due to Lupus) so I MUST have low impact exercise (but can still be high intensity).

I walk in place with a pedometer in my apt as quickly as I can with my pedometer ( I got one for free from a health fair from Walgreens last year) and walking shoes on while the tv is on or just with my earbuds.

I do step aerobics and watch tv. I do this workout the most. It is the hardest workout ever for me, but I love it and it burns a ton of calories for me. I used to take step aerobics as a class when I could afford such things, so I know many different moves to keep it interesting.I built a 6" step for $15 a year ago. I went to Home Depot, picked out a 2" x 10' board, had a guy in Home Depot cut it for me. Then I got Gorilla glue and a small, cheap roll of duct tape. I lined up and glued the 3 cut boards together and let it dry overnight with several gallon jugs of water on top. The next day, I used the whole roll of duct tape and wrapped the 3 glued boards in duct tape. It is a bit heavy, but it is very stable, holds my weight (Im over 250lbs), is not flimsy and does the job--and did not cost me $50 buck or more ;)

I have gone to the library to check out books and dvds on fitness workouts and yoga. I like yoga, but it can be a challenge with my joints so I have to modify the positions a lot. Chi Gong is a lot of fun too.

I have a set of 5lb hand weights I got for super cheap years ago and do a little strength training that way. I also do wall pushups and things like that.

I do have cable tv and there is some on-demand workouts on my tv with the health on-demand menu.

I have actually done Sit and Be Fit on KERA in the morning if I am up for it. I do not have Tivo or any recording device.

I am blessed and fortunate to have a small, free gym down the stairs of my apartments (about 500 ft away) that has 2 treadmills,2 recumbrent bikes, 2 ellipticals and 2 weight machines. I go there when I can, but usually when I can go, it is pretty busy. Plus I do prefer to work out at home, alone.

I have Wii Sports. Wii Boxing is a good workout for me.

Of course I do the personal dance party with my earbuds or just blasting my computer speakers.

I deep clean my apartment at least once a month :D Bleaching and mopping the floors and all.

Since I am a college student, my college allows me to go to their gym,nadatorium pool and locker room at a reduced rate ($1.50 each time I go). I go to school online, but since I still have a college ID, I still get the benefit :p I do this when I can.

What do you do that is cheap or free??

Replies

• SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do free online workouts. Right now I'm just doing ZWOW's (http://zuzkalight.com/) But I used to use Fitness Blender too (http://www.fitnessblender.com/)
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love this! I run when I have time. Use cheap workout videos. Plug in my headphones and go up and down the stairs at work!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos. There are several on You Tube. They are very low impact. And she encourages you to adjust the intensity or the range of motion to fit your own body.

There's also a nifty little pedal gadget that I found at Walmart (and they have them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond also...and of course on the internet). You set it on the floor in front of a chair and just pedal away. It folds up and fits in a closet easily. It was all of about $25. It's not the greatest thing in the world, there are a few glitches to it. But it's a good alternative.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/11030094/golds-gym-upper-and-lower-body-cycle-reviews/reviews.htm
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I also walk in place, I put on the most up beat music I got and just walk away. Adding in a resistance band during the walk helps tone arms, shoulders and back.
    Fitnessblender.com has some great workouts for all fitness levels and it's free. I sometimes go on youtube for workouts when I am bored.
    Walk Away the Pounds is great. She has a website as well and there are a handful of free videos there.
    Walking in the park or neighborhood is free and refreshing.
    You could set up a workout circuit of your own. You could do cardio and strength in the circuit, it works well.
    Dancing is fun as well.
    There are a ton of ways to be active without spending a dime.
  • ladywendolyn
    ladywendolyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How about climbing the stairs in your apartment. I lost a lot of weight that way.. It very aerobic and low impact and you can go as slow as you want. Put on your headphones... Music... Off you go..
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,177 Member
    Options
    With a swiss ball you can do pilates - videos can be found free online and through netflix. I relied on that when I was at my worst with MS and unable to fully walk (in remission now and for life C: ). Great job keeping active!
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    Great ideas, All :D Thank you! I am now also part of Fitness Blender. I am looking into the other exercises mentioned ( swiss ball, pilates,peddler, Walk Away the Pounds, going up and down stairs, etc.).
  • Dreamcatcher49
    Options
    Here is an idea, get the Sweatin' To The Oldies videos with Richard Simmons. My knees are bad so I just do things like leg lifts, which are good for your thighs. Another idea is thrift stores because you can get exercise equipment for practically nothing.