Girl Scout Cookies

Options

Replies

• Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have 96 boxes in my house next week. My daughter is a Girl Scout.

I'd be terrified they'd find me passed out in the garage @ 3 AM covered in crumbs and surrounded by empty boxes.

LOL they might find me! I live on a military base, so i'm hoping I can sell them quick to the Marines here. I'm gonna hit up the barracks!
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The Girl Scouts also have a program where you can buy a box for the troops. They will send them overseas.

AWESOME!!!
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is the time of year I HATE that my daughter is in the Scouts, lol!! :grumble:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ex-career GS here... next time you're bothered to buy the ridiculously expensive delectable treats, tell that sweet, smiling, and learning-to-enterprise little girl that you shouldn't eat them, so instead of buying, you'd like to donate the cost of x amount of boxes to the troop. Make sure you ask them what they are saving their troop funds for. GS cookies are more than just thin mints and samoas (caramel delights). Cookie sales are actually used to teach young girls how to set goals for themselves, earning and saving money, and gives them the opportunity to network and work on social skills. The girls only get a small amount of profit from their cookies. (The council also gets a good portion which is uses toward giving girls opportunities, programs, etc.) But when you donate instead of buying, the girls get the full amount, and you're not left feeling guilty for eating that entire sleeve of thin mints in one sitting!

That was probably more info than you were probably looking for... so if you're rolling your eyes, just disregard all that and hear me commiserating... :)

That's very good to know! I always feel bad about not ordering because I want to help them raise funds and wondered about just making a donation. I've got two friends here at work who are taking orders for their girls so I'll make sure to bring some cash in tomorrow and hand over my donation.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lgrnpnCFGB1qeaft7o1_400_zps083b0648.gif
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm samoas <3
  • lilteepot
    Options
    tumblr_lgrnpnCFGB1qeaft7o1_400_zps083b0648.gif

Smart little chicks, dancing away so they can eat more, see? :)
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Ex-career GS here... next time you're bothered to buy the ridiculously expensive delectable treats, tell that sweet, smiling, and learning-to-enterprise little girl that you shouldn't eat them, so instead of buying, you'd like to donate the cost of x amount of boxes to the troop. Make sure you ask them what they are saving their troop funds for. GS cookies are more than just thin mints and samoas (caramel delights). Cookie sales are actually used to teach young girls how to set goals for themselves, earning and saving money, and gives them the opportunity to network and work on social skills. The girls only get a small amount of profit from their cookies. (The council also gets a good portion which is uses toward giving girls opportunities, programs, etc.) But when you donate instead of buying, the girls get the full amount, and you're not left feeling guilty for eating that entire sleeve of thin mints in one sitting!

That was probably more info than you were probably looking for... so if you're rolling your eyes, just disregard all that and hear me commiserating... :)

Great, now I feel bad about the fact that every time I see a girl scout I avoid eye contact and run the other way screaming "keep your delicious cookies away from my face!"

F'reals though, good suggestion.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Sad that a few troops are NOT like that. My daughter's troop did no community service and barely did anything beyond doing craftsevery Wednesday. My daughter has always been involved with community service and even gave them a few contacts and asked to host a few drives for them to benefit the SPCA, Toys4Tots, even our own personal nonprofit that we started, and they declined. My daughter did them outside of the troop. Kacie dropped out shortly after that.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Geez, now I really want some of the chocolate covered peanut butter ones...why oh why did I click on this thread?! *BANGS HEAD ON DESK*
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I bought three boxes! But I bought ones that would be easy for me to resist, and gave them all to my hubby. MW:laugh: AHAHA!
  • kartikluthra
    Options
    Are the DEBIL!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Meh, you can pretty much get any variety of GS cookies from any grocery store's cookie aisle (from various brands) all year. Nothing really special.
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    But it's not the same! If you buy them in the store, you have to carry them home, burning those cookie calories. With Girl scout cookies, the little tykes wheel them to your front door!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Meh, you can pretty much get any variety of GS cookies from any grocery store's cookie aisle (from various brands) all year. Nothing really special.

Wait! You can get Samoa's year round?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have 96 boxes in my house next week. My daughter is a Girl Scout.

I'd be terrified they'd find me passed out in the garage @ 3 AM covered in crumbs and surrounded by empty boxes.

LOL they might find me! I live on a military base, so i'm hoping I can sell them quick to the Marines here. I'm gonna hit up the barracks!

I wish I could hide! Every time I go to the BX here, there are 3 girl scout tables and they yell at us to buy their cookies! Oh dear, I miss my tagalongs and all abouts (which I believe have a different name now).
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One can help the Girl Scouts, do something for a total stranger, and keep yourself healthy.....Buy a box, and give it to a random stranger wishing them a great day.

This year on the pre-order form they offered virtual cookies, so that you could buy boxes of cookies and send them overseas to the soldiers. I thought this was a good way to alleviate the guilt from not buying cookies this year. Now to just avoid those sinfully cute, evil little cookie pushers at the grocery store and pharmacy.
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    I saw the topic and rushed in hoping the next words were going to be "have no calories!!" darn. I do love the idea of buying and donating to the military. I deal a lot with Veterans and I think that is a wonderful idea! Thank you so much!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Wait! You can get Samoa's year round?
    Yep. For instance, at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Caramel-Coconut-Fudge-Cookies-8.5-oz/21501677
    These even have a few less calories. You can pretty much find the same thing at just about any grocery store (I just picked Walmart because it was the only one I could think of that has a website that actually shows in store product.) You can pretty much find any GS cookie type in a generic store brand.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Both of my daughters are Girl Scouts, so yeah to this. We had a teacher choose to donate money to the troop insead of purchasing cookies it was awesome! Also, most Girl Scout troops will donate cookies to the service men and women serving overseas or to local food pantries, if you wanted to help the troop without being tempted by those deliciously evil cookies. I know my only saving grace this year is that I'm gluten free. No GS cookies for me. :(