Personal Trainers – Worth it?

Options
I’m considering going to a personal trainer that is a whole lifestyle consultant – full analysis on weight, body fat, metabolic rate, food intolerances, etc. to develop meal plans, exercise plans, etc. on an on-going basis. Meet once a week to do a workout together and check in, review diet twice a month.

My question for anyone that’s used a similar program: Did it work for you?

I know I -can- do it without the extra level and expense (which I don't mind paying if it works), but I feel like I need accountability to someone that’s able to help, so I’m torn…

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If the money's not an issue then go for it!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    The only personal trainer I've ever used was my dog. He got me moving and I lost 50 lbs in the process. He's not around anymore, but I'm familiar enough with nutrition, calorie consumption and types of exercise that I don't need a personal trainer to lose weight, improve my nutrition, etc. I'm also not looking to get totally ripped, so if your goal is to have THAT kind of body AND you can afford it, a personal trainer will definitely be your best friend.

It's possible to do all this at home, but you must do the research and be disciplined. I can't afford a trainer or a fancy fitness center, so I am doing this mostly by myself, with the help of my MFP friends.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I would do it. I had a trainer for awhile (not for nutrition, just exercise) and it helped tremendously.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    The first time I really got fit & lost a significant amount of weight was when my place of employment adopted a health incentive. A medical intern was given the duty to head it up. She wasn't a personal trainer, but I would meet with her once a week to consult & weigh in. She instructed me to keep a food diary & gave me a pedometer & told me to strive for 10,000 steps a day. Small goals, but it worked. The food diary kept me honest, especially since I knew she would be looking at it each week. And that's why I'm on MFP, the diary just works. But what I think really did it for me was the accountability of reporting to somone each week. I think a personal trainer would be worth every penny. (if you have it) Consulting with the medical intern once a week (for 8 weeks) - and that was 6 years ago - basically gave me the basic skills to maintain a healthy lifestyle of my own every since & the desire to educate myself more to continue without her help. I lost 25lbs while participating in the program & for the most part have kept it off. I've gone up & down here & there, but have never been even close to that weight again.

Oh - AND my dog played a BIG part too!!! Although he is nearing the end now & can't go for a run with me anymore.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think that if you've budgeted for it, go for it.

At the same time, if the person you end up with doesn't really suggest a plan that makes common sense to you, I'd waste no time in finding someone else who fits you better. Sometimes I think these personal trainers come up with way too drastic diet and exercise routines with the hope of getting some quick results... because impatient people may quit if they don't see huge changes in a couple weeks.

And this is maybe partly just my opinion, but I'd be very wary of a trainer who spends a lot of time talking about "toning" and "not bulking up" and ESPECIALLY "lower weights with higher reps," because personally I think that's all total BS. It's so hard to put on muscle as a woman...

I think the absolute best advice would be to try and find someone who's already accomplished the things you're looking for, because they would obviously know what they're doing
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I LOVED MINE!!!!!
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I think trainers *can* be well worth the investment. I worked out three days a week for six months with a trainer; she completely helped me change my outlook on health and fitness, and although we haven't trained together for more than a year we're still in touch. It was one of the best investments I've ever made. That said, I'm sure there are also a lot of horror stories out there about trainers who weren't so great. Just make sure they're well qualified and they seem like a good fit for you.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had one for a while & he was great! Basically they're just a personal motivator b/c we pretty much know what we are supposed to do as far as eating habits etc. but I did learn alot about using good form from him. The accountability factor is a huge plus for me too. If it's in the budget, I say do it!
  • patty4899
    Options
    Mine has helped keep me on track and that's what I needed. If you can afford it - it's money well spent.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I used a trainer for a while, because I was really worried about form and coming back from a serious injury. She was just that, though, a trainer, no diet or anything else. I loved it, and highly recommend even just that.

Right now I run with a training group, and have two coaches (that we all share). It's just enough attention and pushing to give me a kick in the pants and keep improving, with a reality check - there were some things I'd read a lot about and thought I was doing appropriately but found out my interpretation was way off. So I'd highly recommend a coach/trainer for that reason too.

The only caution I'd give is relying on a single person for too much - if s/he's got a lot of experience in all the fields necessary and has the appropriate licenses and certifications, that's good insurance. And regardless, it may be the "nudge" you need to get and stay on track, like others have mentioned. But definitely keep an eye on their advice and independently research what you learn from them - it will benefit you the most no matter how skilled a trainer they are, if you remain an active and engaged participant in your training. Autopilot and blind following have their place, but not necessarily in your health.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depending on the qualifications and knowledge of the trainer, I would absolutely advocate the use of a trainer. They can be a huge tool to get a person to where they need to be physically and mentally. But just do your homework and make sure that you are going to a trainer with credentials. Also many trainers will offer a few free sessions so you can get a feel for their methods and such. It also allows them to assess any muscle imbalances that need to be corrected and such.
  • MaximizedGains
    Options
    Based on my observations of personal trainers at the local 24 Hour Fitness, personal trainers are probably the most cost-effective way to ensure that you get a debilitating injury as quickly as possible.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer and I can honestly say it's the best money I've spent on myself in a long time.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    They can be great - but I'd recommend checking out qualifications and experience and you might need to try out a couple to find which one "fits" with you. Good luck.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Thanks you for the feedback, everyone! I've decided, since I really do know what I need to do and would only be using the trainer for routine and accountability, that I will write out my own program, menus, and schedule and make my husband enforce it. After 4 weeks, we'll see if it's working... If not, off to the trainer I go!!
  • carlaruth
    carlaruth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my trainer! He's the best money I've ever spent and paying him ranks up there with paying my rent. It took me a number of gyms and several trainers to get to the right one for me, and I can't imagine this journey without his support and encouragement. He's my rock and the reason I've done this well so far. He genuinely cares about his clients and sweats every weigh-in with us. However, he's also blunt when we're off plan or shirking the cardio, but doesn't need to yell. Once you get "The Look" combined with a more grueling than usual Leg Day, you learn your lesson. He's also the same guy who will sing "Eye of the Tiger" when I'm doing dumbbell jabs to distract me from my burning shoulders or will do the last set of toe taps with me because I'm pooped and I HATE toe taps. So long story short: Yes, worth it, but make sure you find the trainer that works best for you.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'll follow my trainer to a nursing home.

Having said that be wary..I'm lucky I have one that has had 20yrs experience in the industry and a degree but continues to refine her knowledge.

Also...I went to her for a year before I saw weight loss...it wasn't her fault..I wasn't doing the homework! She'd been preaching whole foods and habits for months before I got it. While I was deaf to that my fitness/co-ordination improved... she was doing her bit...when I started to lose because I finally got it with diet and more activity..muscle she worked started to show, performance improved enormously. She'll tell you that I did the hard work and I did because I began to give it all I had but she pushed me where I wouldn't have known to push and I learnt I wouldn't drop dead lol. She's the best life changing investment I've ever made. I'm deeply grateful to her.