Greek Yogurt - Texture Issue

Options

Replies

• syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Only advice. You will get used to the texture difference and learn to love it. I like Wegmans brand, Chobani and Stoneyfield farms. I usually get the Wegmans brand because it is less expensive and just as good as most brand names.

btw, I combine 1 med banana, 1/2 chobani greek banana yogurt , 1 cup ice and make a smoothie - its great..

Calories 170 Sodium 36 mg
    Total Fat 2 g Potassium 350 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 33 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 20 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 3 mg
    Vitamin A 2% Calcium 9%
    Vitamin C 15% Iron 1%
  • deeveebee
    deeveebee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like Fage.

^^^ this. every day. its creamy, yummy, and you can get creative adding diff fruits to it.

I love love love Fage 0%. I add stevia, raw nuts and fresh or frozen fruit. Fage is truly strained in the traditional fashion. No fillers.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love Fage and the Costco/Kirkland Signature brand.

Both have to be non-fat and plain, i just add in natural local honey, cinnamon and frozen berries.

I did try the Fred Meyer/Kroger brand, it was lemon, and it was disgusting, it was like eating wet sand.

Nancy's and Oikos were both alright.

Noticed a lot of the bigger yogurt brands put in a lot of artificial flavorings, and thickening agents, gross.
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like Fage.

^^^ this. every day. its creamy, yummy, and you can get creative adding diff fruits to it.

I love love love Fage 0%. I add stevia, raw nuts and fresh or frozen fruit. Fage is truly strained in the traditional fashion. No fillers.

I've been eating Fage for years. I eat Fage 0% with a little bit of honey and granola for breakfast AND I LOVE IT. so delicious! I'll eat Chobani when I'm out since more coffee shops/cafeterias etc carry chobani instead of fage. Also, Oikos makes a greek yogurt with caramel on the bottom - it is AMAZING however I eat that when I want something sweet, not multiple times a week like my fage
  • rockstarrabbit
    rockstarrabbit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani Apple! I have tried others and it is too much like sour cream texture. Gross!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    greek yoghurt is only a base for tzatziki. nothing more.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani. I have half a shelf of it in my fridge in all varieties and sizes. Their caramel pineapple is so tasty.

I haven't seen caramel pineapple! I want it!!

It is to die for! My husband doesn't normally like pineapple but fell in love with it. It's caramel flavored yogurt with pineapple chunks. I believe it's only available in the 3.5 oz "Bites" containers. So far I've only seen it at Walmart, our local grocers aren't carrying it yet.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Screw greek yogurt. There are some things people don't need to substitute and as a yogurt lover myself...this is one of them!
    I've tried greek yogurt twice now, by yoplait, and yuck...horrible tasting.

I think the yoplait one has a lot of additives. I like my greek yogurt with honey.

The Yoplait is an abomination. It's regular yogurt thickened with cornstarch and crap. It's not even Greek yogurt. Most of the "greek" yogurts made by the big yogurt manufacturers are just thickened yogurt without the benefit of higher protein of true Greek yogurt. The real stuff is generally a lot more $$, because it's so concentrated.
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Be sure to try greek gods it is very good.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I adore Fage. The 2% is just ridiculously good. Even the Fage 0% is tasty. Oikos isn't bad, or Chobani, but Fage is my first choice.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of Greek yogurt, it's not quite sweet enough for me. I'm intrigued by the idea of using the unsweetened version in place of sour cream, though. Have been meaning to try it.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I almost always add a bit of honey to my Greek Yogurt, too. I always have to have the kind with fruit in the bottom, too. The first time I tried Greek Yogurt I could barely stand it, but now I am getting used to it. I add the honey using a spoon and some of it sticks to the spoon, so I gradually eat it off the spoon as I eat the yogurt. It does help, and I am not a real honey fan, either.

OIKOS is amazing greek yogurt sooo smooth and yummy!!
  • VDR928
    VDR928 Posts: 6
    Options
    I love the Fage full fat (no low fat stuff for me!) I enjoyed it with a little fruit and stevia for years. I had it almost everyday for breakfast. No sugar, no artificial stuff, no fillers, and supposedly organic (back when I ate it). I am now dairy free but Fage helped me shed the weight for sure! Several of the others were tolerable but none ever measured up to Fage! I use to drive 30 min. every week to get it because it was not so popular back then! :(
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten Greek yogurt and used it in tzatziki sauce. "Regular" yogurt tastes awful to me. The brand of Greek that I usually buy is Chobani.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've only ever tried 2 brands, Chobani, because it's so popular, but I HATE it, the smell makes me feel sick alone, and the texture and sour taste, gross.

I love Fage yogurt, it's so thick and creamy, it's not chalky or anything, it's very smooth, but very thick. the flavored options are great because you can mix in as much as you want, but very high in sugar, i'm watching my added sugar so I've switched to the plain kind, and it tastes fine with 1 packet splenda, and even better with some cut up strawberries. Super filling, good, quick, lots of protein, no fat
  • meangrl29
    meangrl29 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have tried every brand/ flavor combo i can get my hands on & I cannot stand it. I would rather not eat than eat greek yogurt. I just had to give up on it. but, honestly, i'm not a big yogurt fan anyway.
    I did notice that if it was extremely cold, almost frozen, it was much better.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Was it fat free? :sick: I can't handle fat free dairy - non-fat usually means non-creamy, unless they've added something to it to make it creamy again.

If you've got a Trader Joe's in your area, their plain Greek yogurt in the 2% variety is excellent - very creamy and smooth, and has 24g of protein per cup. I'd go for their full fat yogurt, but for some reason it only has 9g of protein per cup. :huh: But the 2% is very nice - great with fruit & honey, in a smoothie, in my oatmeal, or as a sub for sour cream! Good stuff.
    I'm with Amy. Fat-free dairy, particularly greek yogurt, is so runny and thin compared to 2% and whole-fat (the latter having similar texture to whipped cream due to the natural fat content).

Whole Foods sells Fage, both the 2% and whole-fat varieties, which have 18g to 20g of protein for the single containers. Either case, I do not eat the fruit-based ones since they are considerably lower in protein - I simply add my own fruit (if used) and sugar-free Jello cheesecake pudding mix to create instant protein cheesecake.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the Oikos and Chobani national brands (blueberry being my favorite in both brands) or plain with honey. My boyfriend is Greek and he says Fage (pronounced Fa-yeh) is the closest national brand to actual greek yogurt, but he also likes the plain Greek Gods one drizzled with honey & topped with fresh blueberries. You could also try going to an international market that sells homemade greek yogurt and get the plain and top it with honey or fruit of your choice.

Oh and I always go for the full fat. Fat free yogurt of any kind just tastes awful to me so I fit in the full fat version for better taste and satisfaction.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Try low fat soft cheese: different texture to yoghurt, higher in protein than most.
  • asaralee3
    asaralee3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I tried the Yoplait Greek 100 in Tropical Fruit! Not bad at all.... BRING ON THE PROTIEN!!!