Not so good start:-(

Options
So, today is my 2nd day, and I feel I did good as far as cutting back my food intake, and making better food choices, until I get my total at the end of the day, I am consuming almost double that I should be. Oh well, maybe day 3 will be a charm....

Good luck ALL!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Try logging before you eat or log as you eat. You'll learn what works and get a feel for portions and their caloric content.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Seconding adini's suggestion.

Pre-logging helps TREMENDOUSLY with this. Plan out your day with food so you know that everything fits just right.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    It's always harder at the beginning. Once you get "the ball rolling" and gets some days/weeks under you belt and start to see results, it gets easier. After a while you don't want to give up because you've already invested a bunch of effort.

Logging before you eat like the above poster suggested works well too.
  • payitforwardx3
    Options
    I just started today. I am pretty hopeful that this site will help me with my weight loss goals. I pay more attention when I am reporting on what I eat and my activity level!
  • maryroman15
    Options
    I forced myself to change my eating habits and start excercising. Atlhough I thought a wedding was going to be a motivator, it is actually not. My motivation is my health. I realized there are certain types of food that are not good for my stomach and felt sick all the time. I am learning to drink water which I never liked, now I do my 50 yto 64 oz a day, for excercise, my motivation was the stairwell at the building I work. So far I walk up 25 floors. And of course, watching what I eat as well using My Fitness Pal. I used another application but it is not as comprehensive.

So far I have been doing this for the last two weeks and feeling so much better. I am afraid of getting on the scale, but at least my belly is going down!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Its all a learning process but never beat yourself up if you " think" you had a bad day.
  • maryroman15
    Options
    Hi, don't give up. Sometimes it takes baby steps, but at the end you will see the reward. You will feel and look better. Our health is everything and look for ways to motivate yourself. I don't have a fitness buddy and not even my fiance works out with me but I am thinking is all about me! Best of success in your goals!

Marylin
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Try logging before you eat or log as you eat. You'll learn what works and get a feel for portions and their caloric content.

^^^^^^^^^^ This. If you don't have a computer or smart phone handy, you can always track on paper. Also, preplanning your day (at least most of it) can be a huge help.
  • sassyrngirl
    sassyrngirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do not eat anything unless you know what the caloric intake is beforehand. Today was a good lesson as you THOUGHT what you were eating was better. Lesson learned about what we are truly putting into our bodies. On the positive side, you indeed DID log. That in itself s a great start!!! Keep at it, it'll get easier. I am at 1200 calories per day according to my body type and weight and some days, I find myself adding a snack here or there to try to reach my caloric goal. Everything we do, we must get there "one step at a time"! You can do this :)
  • NewFrenchFemme
    NewFrenchFemme Posts: 36 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^ This. If you don't have a computer or smart phone handy, you can always track on paper. Also, preplanning your day (at least most of it) can be a huge help.

I agree with the above. Preplanning has been invaluable for me. Also, check that your calorie goal is realistic and you're not setting yourself up for failure by trying to stick to too low a limit - sorry I can't see your diary.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I would like to see your diary...how many calories are you trying to eat for the day?
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found really useful is to use recipes where the calories per serving are listed. Its surprising how many calories are in some meals. For the last year I've aimed to have the one main meal of the day with no more than 500 calories it it.

I also find planning in advance a huge help. That way if you are going to have one meal that has more calories than you'd like you can adjust elsewhere. This is especially useful when eating out.
  • teresamcclarykramer
    Options
    I logged breakfast right away, but didn't log lunch and dinner until after dinner, so I now have the app on my smart phone so I can log while I am away, at each meal. Thanks for the advice. Great job on your weight loss!
    Teresa
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well you are becoming more aware of what you are eating so that is a good thing! You probably eat less calories then you did 3 days ago so you are going in the right direction!!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The good thing about your food diary is you can look at the real high calorie items and then find a good alternative while remembering to not do that again unless you really want those calories.

Reviewing your diary can be a real eye opener.

If you are learning, you are off to a good start.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I came to a very harsh reality my second day here in regards to my eating. It has been very eye opening, and very motivating. Just keep that food journal going during the day. Look at the calories you have left and spend them wisely. Think of it as a bank account. You don't want to overdraw your funds!
  • teresamcclarykramer
    Options
    It has me starting at 1850. I do well at breakfast, lunch and dinner, it is the evening snacking that hurts me. SO, I am going to cut meal calories down more, so that the evening snack will not put me over, and maybe add a smaller snack in the afternoon so that the dinner calories can go lower. Someone suggested to me on a previous diet, and I never got around to trying, but anyhow they suggestd I make breakfast the biggest meal of the day, instead of dinner. So I might try that.......I will see if I can share my diary, so that supporters can see and guide me through my mistakes. I appreciate your advice everyone.
    Teresa
  • wanda607
    wanda607 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a grand maw and I started about 3 months ago and it was very hard at first never exorcized and my fault's were soda and peanut butter cups. I'm doing good I loose about 1lb a week which is ok because I'm not loosing too fast. I have my daughter as my support. When the weather permits I do a power walk at least 3 times a week and I also work in health care.I have lost 25 lbs. and very pleased.Eating is the main goal, you have to eat your calorie goal and also check out Hungary Girl Love her book, great recipes. So want to wish you all the luck and don't give up
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I split my meals into mini meals which I find helps to control my hunger and allows me to feel like I am eating more than I am. Also, I log most (if not all) the food I plan to eat at the start of each day as well as any exercise I plan to do. This allows me to see beforehand where I might need to make adjustments and it motivates me to do the exercise I have already logged. Stick with it, it is definitely worth it :)
  • Kitty_Kat_meow
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it after all you'll learn from it and can see what foods have high cals etc. If you ever need some support just give me a message hun