Ex College Athlete, Can I go Back?

Options
Hey :) Im a 26 year old female from Indiana. Used to play college volleyball. Since then (4 years) Ive gained about 50 lbs. Well Ive finally had enough. Time to lose it. Ive been off and on this program for the last 4 years and I need to stick with it. Part of that is having people around that are going through the same thing and will hold me accountable.

Summary: I need friends :) If you're interested in holding me accountable and vice versa, add me?

Replies

• simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm an ex athlete turned big guy. If you'd like to tackle p90x that will get you going again. I belong to a MFP support group. We're all supportive and engaged in making a change.
    Even if p90x isn't for you feel free to add me. Good luck with the music too!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5498-p90x-insanity-the-game-changers
  • Cyclistgirl
    Options
    Hey girl,

Welcome to MFP. I second simon, p90x is challenging. And yes of course you can go back! I'm adding you.

Cyclistgirl
  • aletamhosier
    aletamhosier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex college athlete from IN as well! I'm going to add you and we can chat more!
  • wfreema
    Options
    I also used to play baseball at the University of Iowa. Gained about 35 lbs after college, now I'm sick of it. I'm with you.
  • raqalex
    raqalex Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey! Same here. Used to do cross-country. Trying to get back into shape. Im with you on this :)
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ex athlete as well! Good luck! feel free to add!
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ex college athlete as well... 2 kiddos and WAY to many pounds later...

I love to be added as well :)
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Ex pro hockey player...current fat guy. I know where you are coming from. Feel free to add
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Why "ex" atheletes? Are you no longer athletic? Or did you just stop being active, maybe consumed more calories than you burned and then gained weight?

You are not "former" athletes IMO. You are still athletes as athleticism is an innate quality that certain people have. When a boxer stops training, and they gain weight, are they no longer athletes? Can you be in shape and not be athletic? And the inverse, can you be athletic and not in shape? This posting conjures some interesting philosphical questions....
  • stork32
    Options
    Wow. Good questions drussander. I am still athletic. No longer a member of a team? Sooooooooo would ex member be more appropriate. Regardless....I did eat more calories than burned!
  • masterswimmer
    Options
    Im an ex college athlete too! I was a swimmer, had a whopping 75lb weight gain, lost 50lb then started to swim/compete/race in Masters Swimming again..... Now Im motivated to drop that last 25lbs! A speedo is not going to tell you your fine just the way you are! lol! Granted Im 42 but I am in the same position. I gained my weight after giving birth to twins. (Gained 100lbs from pregnancy of twins)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: Don't attempt the workouts you USED to do right away. Get a base of strength and endurance back first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky, ex-athletes usually have an advantage.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky, ex-athletes usually have an advantage.

this.

former collegiate swimmer here. after graduating i hadn't swam laps in years, so i was not looking forward to a pool work out. i was very surprised that after only a few sessions, i was back in the swing of things.
  • stork32
    Options
    Hays the unfortunate part is that I cant grab 5 random girls or old teammates and put a practice together. Although that'd def make it easier!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: Don't attempt the workouts you USED to do right away. Get a base of strength and endurance back first.

IDEA Fitness member

^this is good advice...and it's true not only for ex-collegiate athletes but also for anyone who has been relatively sedentary for a while. Much easier to ramp it up as you progress than it is to recover from an injury because you did too much too soon...(says the guy with an ortho appointment later this week).
  • keic10688
    keic10688 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to swim in college and am now just starting to get back in the water after 4 years.
  • Jaybew99
    Jaybew99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.

I was nationally competitive in two different skating sports. One sport as a teen and another as an adult. I have doubled my weight since my competitive peak in my teens. Eating too many carbs, not moving enough, fertility treatments, pregnancy and blowing out my ankle have all contributed.

I agree with the comment that once you are an athlete you are always an athlete. I have just taken up running. I absolutely love the communication I need to have with my body to challenge it. I didn't realize how much I missed that internal conversation. I also realized that I missed healthy competition. I track my mileage and times and try to run a race a month. Competing with myself and setting goals to accomplish (mostly) keeps me motivated.

Best of luck! Feel free to friend me.
  • according2lizz
    Options
    I'm an ex college basketball player. I just graduated last May so it's only been under a year since my last game but I've already gained 10 lbs! I'm training for a marathon so I'm still pretty active....but it's just different than having those 2 practices a day and being able to eat almost anything! I'm eating less than I used to and still gaining. I need friends/support too! Feel free to add me :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    IMO, one of the best ways to get back is to actually try to get back into the sport you used to do (albeit at a probably lower level). I've always been fit and athletic, but never in the competitive sense (meaning college or pro), but I'm NOT going to run the speed I did when I was 20, nor do the windmill and headspins I used to do when I used to break dance. But I'm still very fit enough to play some football, basketball, run laps, swim, etc. but at a much more moderate pace.
    Point here is, don't let slower times, longer recovery periods, less flexibility, etc. discourage you from still continuing doing sports you love.

IDEA Fitness member