DINNER TIME QUESTION

Options
Is it better to eat dinner BEFORE or AFTER your workout????.....

What do you suggest?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i eat it after but mainly because i work out around 3 in the afternoon. doesnt make much of a difference tho
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your digestion system does with working out. I can't run within an hour of running without feeling like I am going to puke. Try it both ways and see how you do. It doesn't matter as far as calories go.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd say work out before.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I can't eat right before I run, blech!
  • missfitjunkie
    Options
    Immediately after working out, I have a scoop of whey protein powder mixed with water. #1 it prevents muscle breakdown and #2 curbs that hunger from the gym to the house . When we continue to exercise, we break down our muscles. Research has shown that the most beneficial timeing of prtein intake is immediately after exercise. I also have a shake before I work out as well. Whey protein digests pretty quickly so 30-45 minutes before is not too soon for me, nor is immediately after. If you are eating dinner before you work out...make sure it has digested. It all depends on what your goals are, and furthermore, what works for you. I'll inbox you more in response to the toning question you sent to me as well since they go hand in hand. I hope this helps.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I would suggest not working out immediately after dinner. For many digestion of a meal makes them feel sluggish. If doing cardio, it may lead to side stitches. You may consider a small snack including (GASP) carbs to ensure you have energy for your workout.

A nice balanced dinner including plenty of protein and carbs following your workout is great
  • loureenclare
    Options
    Immediately after working out, I have a scoop of whey protein powder mixed with water. #1 it prevents muscle breakdown and #2 curbs that hunger from the gym to the house . When we continue to exercise, we break down our muscles. Research has shown that the most beneficial timeing of prtein intake is immediately after exercise. I also have a shake before I work out as well. Whey protein digests pretty quickly so 30-45 minutes before is not too soon for me, nor is immediately after. If you are eating dinner before you work out...make sure it has digested. It all depends on what your goals are, and furthermore, what works for you. I'll inbox you more in response to the toning question you sent to me as well since they go hand in hand. I hope this helps.

I've been drinking 1 scoop of whey protein afterwork out. My husband said that exact same thing about drinking it right after work out.

Sometimes I eat 3 hrs before working out.. and sometimes I eat chicken breast with brocolli after work out.. I sometimes gets confuse, cause I just want to make sure that my stomach will be empty before I go to bed. I don't want to sleep full thats why i eat before working out.. of course I digest it out before heading to the gym.

I guest my next question is.. do I only drink protein after work out when I'm workng on muscles? there's a day where i only do cardio... do i drink protein right after too?
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    PERSONAL PREFERENCE will dictate when you eat. If you perform better in the gym on a full stomach, eat before. If you perform better on an empty stomach, eat after. Meal timing is irrelevant. The most important thing is that you hit your caloric and macro goals for the day/week.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The easy answer: BOTH

Before anyone jumps all over me, what I present here in not my thinking but rather the recommendation of Alan Aragon. He is a well respected and formally degreed expert on Nutrition. His full credentials can be found here:

http://www.alanaragon.com/

Here's a quick break down:

A pre-workout meal should fuel your work out. Those nutrients should accomplish the follow:

- Reduce muscle glycogen depletion.
    - Reduce muscle protein breakdown.
    - Reduce post workout cortisol levels.

A post-workout meal should help you recover. Those nutrients should accomplish the following:

- Replenish muscle glycogen that was depleted during your workout.
    - Reduce muscle protein breakdown caused by exercise.
    - Increase muscle protein synthesis.
    - Reduce muscle soreness and fatigue.
    - Greatly enhance overall recovery.
    - Reduce cortisol levels.

If you are going to eat solid food before the workout you need to do it 1 to 2 hours prior. If you just use a liquid form 0 - 60 min prior is just fine. The postworkout meal should happen within an hour after your work out.

Both meals should consist of fast digesting carbs and protein. You can do either meal as a liquid shake or a solid meal. SO if you have a love of white rice, potatoes or Lucky Charms this is the time to indulge.

Amounts are figured as follows:
    Protein = 0.25g per pound of your target body weight.
    Carbs = 0.25g per pound of your target body weight.

Personally, I workout in the morning before work so I replace my breakfast with pre and post workout shakes. I use a protein powder and supplement additional carbs with Dextrose.
  • loureenclare
    Options
    The easy answer: BOTH

Before anyone jumps all over me, what I present here in not my thinking but rather the recommendation of Alan Aragon. He is a well respected and formally degreed expert on Nutrition. His full credentials can be found here:

http://www.alanaragon.com/

Here's a quick break down:

A pre-workout meal should fuel your work out. Those nutrients should accomplish the follow:

- Reduce muscle glycogen depletion.
    - Reduce muscle protein breakdown.
    - Reduce post workout cortisol levels.

A post-workout meal should help you recover. Those nutrients should accomplish the following:

- Replenish muscle glycogen that was depleted during your workout.
    - Reduce muscle protein breakdown caused by exercise.
    - Increase muscle protein synthesis.
    - Reduce muscle soreness and fatigue.
    - Greatly enhance overall recovery.
    - Reduce cortisol levels.

If you are going to eat solid food before the workout you need to do it 1 to 2 hours prior. If you just use a liquid form 0 - 60 min prior is just fine. The postworkout meal should happen within an hour after your work out.

Both meals should consist of fast digesting carbs and protein. You can do either meal as a liquid shake or a solid meal. SO if you have a love of white rice, potatoes or Lucky Charms this is the time to indulge.

Amounts are figured as follows:
    Protein = 0.25g per pound of your target body weight.
    Carbs = 0.25g per pound of your target body weight.

Personally, I workout in the morning before work so I replace my breakfast with pre and post workout shakes. I use a protein powder and supplement additional carbs with Dextrose.

WOW Thanks for that!!! It both make sense!