HUGE Binge Episode; Support/Motivation?

For 17 years, I was a born n' raised binge eater. I grew up in a home that scolded me for not finishing everything on my plate, encouraged 4th, 5th and even 6th helpings of food, while only really consuming pure crap. Sugary poptarts, pizza, 'Chinese food', Subway, and huge tubs of ice cream were always the norm in my house. When I was 17, I worked hard to stop binge eating, which I have mostly been successful at. I do still struggle with healthy moderation, but I try.

2 days ago was the worst binge, I have ever had. On the night of the 16th, I ate over 2000 calories over the course of 30 minutes. My unbearable anxiety over weighing myself combined with my stress and sleeping pills in my system just kickstarted a huge binge. I was upset that I had weighed in at 4 pounds heavier than my last weigh in, so I binged. I binged on chocolate raisins, fruit strips, rice soup bowls and cans of chili. Now, all the food I binged on was healthy, organic, gluten free and vegan, but I stilled binged none the less. By the end of the day, (actually, over the course of a few hours) i consumed upwards of 7,000 calories. I woke up yesterday obviously very sick, yet kept binge eating. I ate mozzarella sticks, boxes of candy, and even a few foods containing gluten (which is why I think I ended up vomiting everything up yesterday). I made the severe mistake of weighing myself yesterday, which led to me finding that I've gained 9.2 pounds, over the course of my 2 day binge.

As of right now I've only had some ginger tea and fresh water, but I woke up 20 minutes ago. I should be at work then getting ready for class (as I missed my classes yesterday), but quite frankly, i can't. After the commotion of my mentality yesterday, the knowledge of my weight gain and everything else going on, I cannot make it to class today. I'm just going to email my teachers, telling them I have a stomach bug/upset stomach.

I know that a pound or two of my weight gain was due to water retention and another pound or two must be due to the food still sitting within my system. I don't plan on weighing myself until February 2nd (as I normally only weigh myself 2 times a month, on the 2nd and 20th), but I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm scared that today will be another day of binge eating, because once I eat one food, quite frankly I eat them all.

I know plenty about the psychology behind binge eating, and about healthy nutrition, so please don't lecture me, or provide me with annoying unwarranted advice. As of right now, all I need is some support and encouragement to get back on track, with everything.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    It's difficult, but I highly recommend you seek professional help for your problem. This seems to be something that is troubling you deeper than just numbers on a scale. But, then again maybe I am just reading atoo much into the post. Best of luck to you and your continued steps toward a healthy lifestyle.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Everything's gonna be ok. I have personal experience with binging. Thus why I once weighed 240 pounds. Don't be one of those people that say "well, I ate one french fry, might as well eat the rest of them and two hamburgers, since I'm already "bad"." You're stronger than that, right?

You're not bad, you're human. My advice? (1) Figure out what triggered the binge and fight THAT. Stress from work? Frustration over stalled weight loss results? Hormones from ovulating? (2) even during a binge, record (to the best of your abilities) what you ate.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Eating a correct healthy calorie limit daily will help reduce that binge eating habit.. And your right that 9 lb gain you seen isn't accurate.. Ya know if you don't buy the junk food, there won't be any to binge on. Get back on track it happens.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    I have ano binge challenge group I will write you a pm and send an invite. anyone else who struggles with this is welcome to join
  • It's all your frame of mind :)

Today is a NEW day! Forget about yesterday. That was then, this is NOW! So what if you had a bad day...obviously it's a big deal but there is nothing you can do about it now. And starving yourself as punishment is not the answer. Treat today like you would every other day. If your regular intake is 1200, eat 1200 and move on. :) You can get through this!!!
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    I just wanted to let you know that reading this made me cry. I understand... oh I understand so much. It is SO hard to forgive yourself and you know its wrong and you just can't stop. Just can't. No reason. You know its wrong and you can't.

You can go past it. You have to break the cycle. I'm here if you want a friend. Please reach out next time you are stressing and ready to do that. Sometimes you just do it before you can reach out.
  • I've been there and binged then decided to give in because it was easier than kicking myself out of the downer from binging but trust me you can do this! If your worried about binging again today then drink lots of water, sounds silly as water weight will increase but it will mean you will be too full to snack and the water weight will go down on it's own. Some times you need to cheat your body so your head has time to get itself together. If you ever need some support message me hun.
    Kat
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    reading this reminds me of my own story like the others said if you need a friend I am here for you too.
  • Eating a correct healthy calorie limit daily will help reduce that binge eating habit.. And your right that 9 lb gain you seen isn't accurate.. Ya know if you don't buy the junk food, there won't be any to binge on. Get back on track it happens.

Like I said in my post, I know about how to prevent binge eating. I know eating a healthy amount decreases the likelihood of a binge. Thank you for the reassurance with the weight gain. <3

I ONLY keep healthy, gluten free, organic and vegan foods in my dorm room. However, if you have any experience with binge eating, you will know that when it comes down to it, an intense binge episode is more about consumption, than what you are consuming. It doesn't matter how healthy you are eating, and what matters is the sheer act of over-consumption.I've had days where I've binged on fruits, veggies, grains, and crackers. The food was all healthy and not junk food, but it doesn't stop the binge episode only having healthy food. You seem to be possibly consuming a mere indulgence with binge eating.

I live in a dorm room. So, while I keep only healthy foods in my dorm room, there are numerous vending machines in my building, and there are a large amount within a .25 mile radius. So keeping only healthy food in my room doesn't always work. I try to take preventive measures, but they are not foolproof, given my location during the school year. :(
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    This is how I remotivate myself after a binge:

Step 1: Get up
    Step 2: Take a shower
    Step 3: Get dressed in whatever is appropriate for the activities of the day
    Step 4: Get out of the house (edit: Dorm room in your case) and go do SOMETHING (even it it's just going for a walk around the mall or a leisurely stroll at a local park)
    Step 5: Stop telling yourself that you are going to fail. Take responsibility for the bad choices you made yesterday, own it, move on, then believe you will do better today.

Edit to add: Step 6: Repeat steps 1-5 daily.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    There are a lot of us here who suffer with these problems. You are definitely not alone. The hardest part is the next day after a binge. I find that sometimes for me it does take 2 days before I've gotten it completely out of my system. I'm sure you know this, but then the next hard part is the week after, when you still look and feel bloated but youv'e been eating well and not seeing any changes from clean eating. usually takes me up to a week to look ok again. so it's this cycle where you don't want to overdo it but you end up doing just that because you feel so bad about the binge. weighing can be a huge trigger for me too. i see a number i don't like and i think "well i've gained, so whatever" and it makes me actually go back into it. i tried weighing every month right after my period and that worked a little. i'm back to weekly weighing to try to understand that there are physical changes women's bodies go through each month and to see that natural fluctuations are normal. but it's still hard seeing a higher number. no one wants to face that. like i said, a lot of us on here have periodic binge issues. otherwise, we probably wouldn't have needed to lose weight in the first place, right... just know you have support
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    I also have personal experience with binges. It did not stop overnight but these are a few things that helped :
    - Trying to "plan" the binges. If you feel a binge coming, go and buy some food you really love - lots of it - and binge on it. At least you enjoy the food and I find it helps regain *some* control on what you eat. The feeling of "uncontrollability" during a binge is terrifying.
    - Go outside. Even for a 5-minute walk. Even to read a book on a bench somewhere.
    - After a binge, having a long shower and taking care of my appearance (nails trimmed, body hair waxed, etc.) helped me feel less disgusting and somehow "cleansed" me, allowing me to draw a line under the binge.
    Good luck.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    For 17 years, I was a born n' raised binge eater. I grew up in a home that scolded me for not finishing everything on my plate, encouraged 4th, 5th and even 6th helpings of food, while only really consuming pure crap. Sugary poptarts, pizza, 'Chinese food', Subway, and huge tubs of ice cream were always the norm in my house. When I was 17, I worked hard to stop binge eating, which I have mostly been successful at. I do still struggle with healthy moderation, but I try.

2 days ago was the worst binge, I have ever had. On the night of the 16th, I ate over 2000 calories over the course of 30 minutes. My unbearable anxiety over weighing myself combined with my stress and sleeping pills in my system just kickstarted a huge binge. I was upset that I had weighed in at 4 pounds heavier than my last weigh in, so I binged. I binged on chocolate raisins, fruit strips, rice soup bowls and cans of chili. Now, all the food I binged on was healthy, organic, gluten free and vegan, but I stilled binged none the less. By the end of the day, (actually, over the course of a few hours) i consumed upwards of 7,000 calories. I woke up yesterday obviously very sick, yet kept binge eating. I ate mozzarella sticks, boxes of candy, and even a few foods containing gluten (which is why I think I ended up vomiting everything up yesterday). I made the severe mistake of weighing myself yesterday, which led to me finding that I've gained 9.2 pounds, over the course of my 2 day binge.

As of right now I've only had some ginger tea and fresh water, but I woke up 20 minutes ago. I should be at work then getting ready for class (as I missed my classes yesterday), but quite frankly, i can't. After the commotion of my mentality yesterday, the knowledge of my weight gain and everything else going on, I cannot make it to class today. I'm just going to email my teachers, telling them I have a stomach bug/upset stomach.

I know that a pound or two of my weight gain was due to water retention and another pound or two must be due to the food still sitting within my system. I don't plan on weighing myself until February 2nd (as I normally only weigh myself 2 times a month, on the 2nd and 20th), but I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm scared that today will be another day of binge eating, because once I eat one food, quite frankly I eat them all.

I know plenty about the psychology behind binge eating, and about healthy nutrition, so please don't lecture me, or provide me with annoying unwarranted advice. As of right now, all I need is some support and encouragement to get back on track, with everything.

I understand your desire to not want a lecture or unwarranted advice, but I do suggest you open yourself up to listening to what others who have gone through your situation have experienced. I am not one of those, but I am fairly certain that, until you can identify, embrace, and learn to manage your triggers, you will be on a vicious repeat cycle of what just happened to you. I'm certain you feel ashamed, and I'm sorry to hear you have such an internal struggle going on right now. But, you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. Embrace your mistake, analyze why it occurred and find the strength to change it, whether you do it alone, or with the support of friends or a therapist. You have to make a conscious decision to change. Good luck, I imagine your pain, humiliation and fear must be overwhelming.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    baby. i have the same problem. the worst thing is, i've been so good since september (had like 10-15 binges altogether) and i don't know what happened, since beginning of January I had 7 :(
  • newhabit
    Eating a correct healthy calorie limit daily will help reduce that binge eating habit.. And your right that 9 lb gain you seen isn't accurate.. Ya know if you don't buy the junk food, there won't be any to binge on. Get back on track it happens.

Like I said in my post, I know about how to prevent binge eating. I know eating a healthy amount decreases the likelihood of a binge. Thank you for the reassurance with the weight gain. <3

I ONLY keep healthy, gluten free, organic and vegan foods in my dorm room. However, if you have any experience with binge eating, you will know that when it comes down to it, an intense binge episode is more about consumption, than what you are consuming. It doesn't matter how healthy you are eating, and what matters is the sheer act of over-consumption.I've had days where I've binged on fruits, veggies, grains, and crackers. The food was all healthy and not junk food, but it doesn't stop the binge episode only having healthy food. You seem to be possibly consuming a mere indulgence with binge eating.

I live in a dorm room. So, while I keep only healthy foods in my dorm room, there are numerous vending machines in my building, and there are a large amount within a .25 mile radius. So keeping only healthy food in my room doesn't always work. I try to take preventive measures, but they are not foolproof, given my location during the school year. :(

absolutely it is all about consumption! sometimes it is just whatever is there. one time i binged on honeycomb cereal! i don't really even like the taste of it normally. sure, trigger foods can sometimes start one, but once it gets going it could be anything. my first step was identifying trigger foods and trigger times of day. i know what they are now and i try to change those patterns.second step is figuring out other things to do with your time when you are emotionally triggered by these things. i am still working on that one! sometimes i still want to turn to food (and do). but if i can reduce binges i feel like i've made progress.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    The feeling of "uncontrollability" during a binge is terrifying.

you understand me :(
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    I also have personal experience with binges. It did not stop overnight but these are a few things that helped :
    - Trying to "plan" the binges. If you feel a binge coming, go and buy some food you really love - lots of it - and binge on it. At least you enjoy the food and I find it helps regain *some* control on what you eat. The feeling of "uncontrollability" during a binge is terrifying.
    - Go outside. Even for a 5-minute walk. Even to read a book on a bench somewhere.
    - After a binge, having a long shower and taking care of my appearance (nails trimmed, body hair waxed, etc.) helped me feel less disgusting and somehow "cleansed" me, allowing me to draw a line under the binge.
    Good luck.

I wouldn't recommend this technique. Getting it under control and addressing the issues behind binging is a better way to deal with it. Plus, a lot less waste of food.
  • newhabit
    wanted to also say that most people who have not been through it or have not been through any form of addiction usually do not understand the power of the binge. most people say "oh just don't do that" or "have some willpower" and it makes it very hard! or they will say "well just have one" when i know i can't! we just have to figure out what works for us individually. some people do great with moderation and it helps them not binge to have these things. but for me it does not usually work that way. i know i have a sugar addiction.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Bless your heart. Been there ... done that. Sounds like we were raised in the same kind of household. It's ok. Today is a new day. We shake off yesterday and make today the best day ever! I KNOW you can do this. I posted yesterday about a book I have just started reading. It's called "The Hunger Fix." It's written by Pam Peeke MD. It's all about why we binge eat and how to overcome it. I am up to the 4th chapter now and really finding it informing. Take a look. Hopefully it will help people like us to once and for all understand why we binge and how to overcome them. We are beautiful! We DO have worth. I know this because "God doesn't make junk!" :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • newhabit
    Good luck.

i totally agree! sometimes it is more about the forbidden-ness. you have to figure out what will work best for you. is eating it in a small quantity going to be enough, or have you found it starts the binge? is it going to come on anyway, no matter what you do. i agree wthat we should look at the reasons behind the binges, but sometimes they are really hard to stop, even when we know the reason. i agree with doing somethign else, going outside, doing whatever to get your mind off of it.