Can I say I'm just thick or big boned?

Options
Hi MFP,

So here's my question. Ever since I was in middle school I have always been the big girl, not necessarily fat, but I did developed at an earlier age than most girls. And I always weighed at 150, with a decent breast size, small waist, wide hips, and thick thighs.

Long story short, I've been yo-yo(ing) ever since. But in 2005, after a heartbreak, and weeks of crying and not eating, I lost weight (nothing that I'm proud of now), however I started dieting and exercising to continue losing the weight. Well even after starvation followed by a good healthy lifestyle (once i got over the jerk) I was only able to drop down to 145.

Now I'm 5'6", but at 145, I looked fragile and weak. But compare to other girls I still looked on the heavy side. My goal now is to be down to 150 again, however after having kids, I'm afraid that I will still look heavy. Could someone with my body shape ever get that lean, thin frame look? Is there such a thing as being big boned or thick? Since I have aged a little would my new weight goal give me the body I want or should I consider a lower weight goal?

I like my curves, I like looking like a woman and not a teenager, but I was just wondering if anyone else has this same problem. Although I want to look great, my main priority is to be healthy. Any input is welcomed.

Replies

• toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    same with me. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be athletic fit not skinny . some people have said the big boned thing is rubbish but I'm not sure . . interested to see how this thread goes . x
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    You can say anything you want...
  • aliciaje
    Options
    I have the same problem. The only time I weighed under 145 was when I had complications from surgery and could only eat broth. And that was mostly lost muscle too. I have come to the conclusion that I will always have large muscles, and that is something to be proud of. I am aiming to have a firm body all over. I guess to say that the scale doesn't matter, body fat %, ability to be a competitive athlete (in mtn biking) and how clothes fit are a priority to me.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If it jiggles, it's fat.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Just say you're hot.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I heard particpating in boobie Friday makes people feel good about themsleves also.
  • kboigirl
    Options
    150 is a perfectly healthy weight for someone your height. it would make your BMI 24 which is within the healthy range. As a dietitian, I am more interested in whether a person's appearance is healthy and strong than whether they match the weight that the numbers tell them is "ideal."
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You can say it but it'd be a goddamn lie.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    I can so relate...was never "fat" in school, but definitely filled out early with the body of a woman at a younger age and was always a little fuller (hips, thighs, booty, boobs) Now I would do anything to be that size and weight... I looked beautiful at 150-160lbs but didn't realize it then, I just wanted to be "skiny" like my friends. So, I can so relate to your post... But, I think you can't always look at the numbers.. I believe that if your blood pressure, your sugar level, your physical fitness are all good then you are healthy and there's no need to "worry" about being big boned or thick..
    We are all built differently. Period. There's no need to label yourself but if you must, I agree with the gal that said to just say that you are Hot! Feel good about yourself!

Best of luck to you!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well, the rule of thumb, to my understanding, is that if your wrist measures greater than 6 inches you are above average, and if it measure at 7 inches, then you are big-boned. This is, of course, presuming that you aren't morbidly obese. My wrist is 6.5 inches, and I often wonder if I can ever be slender. But I'm just under 6 feet tall with wide shoulders and hips. I suggest you do some research about what the term "big-boned" actually means.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Only if i get to claim to be a seriously overgrown leprechaun with a paunch. :-)

Just be healthy
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    If you want to be 145 and not look weak....one word....Lift
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    My priority is HEALTH over APPEARANCE. If I focus on my looks and numbers, I might become discouraged. If I notice that I can go faster on the elliptical on higher resistances, I notice I'm becoming stronger and more efficient, and that's what matters to me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm Halle Berry.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Bones come in the same size... however your frame is an entirely different matter. If you have wide hips, wide shoulders etc especially compared to your height, guess what, you unfortunately lost the genetics lottery. I have a friend who's like that. Only thing you can do is get your BF% down.

Good luck!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I saw a lady win a transformation challenge at 150 lbs. I don't think she lost a single pound through the whole transformation, but she sure improved her shape.

It should never be about scale weight. Health, and appearance are what make the difference.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Being big boned is legit to the point that a lot of doctors are now taking it into account when determining your ideal weight. At 5'6" (same height as me) if your wrist is above 6.5 inches wide, you are considered "large framed" and your goal weight is between 140 and 159 lb. 6.3-6.5 inches is a medium frame, and goal weight for that would be 130-144 lb.

http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist
  • avlama
    avlama Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Never heard about measuring your wrist before, but i will look into it.

Not that i have to, but i feel i should explain, I'm not trying to use the "I'm Thick or I'm Big Boned" excuse as to why i'm overweight. I was merely asking if anyone who might have had the same problem i do ever acomplished the "Thin or Small Frame" look. I don't have self esteem issues, i feel happy and blessed, and i'm here to keep a healthy lifestyle.

I'm almost 30, and i have never met anyone who has done this before, like i said, i was just wondering if there's such a thing as being large frame, i mean why not? dont we sometimes call people petite, small frame, or slim.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    There is such a thing as having a large frame I have one, but i don't go around saying it cuz Im heavy (not saying you did)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Not that i have to, but i feel i should explain, I'm not trying to use the "I'm Thick or I'm Big Boned" excuse as to why i'm overweight. I was merely asking if anyone who might have had the same problem i do ever acomplished the "Thin or Small Frame" look. I don't have self esteem issues, i feel happy and blessed, and i'm here to keep a healthy lifestyle.

Definately. I understand that. "Big boned" is real. It's a completely different body type. Before I figured out I was big boned I was at times jealous of my sisters for having very slim frames. My body couldn't and wouldn't shape the same as theirs. Bone structure does make a significant difference. (btw my wrist is 7")