HUGE Binge Episode; Support/Motivation?

Options

Replies

• Live_To_Kayak
    Options
    It seems like a lot of your issue is guilt and stress because you stumbled in your diet. Realize that weight loss is an ongoing process and everyone is going to stumble occasionally. Learn from this and move on, you will eventually succeed.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    wanted to also say that most people who have not been through it or have not been through any form of addiction usually do not understand the power of the binge. most people say "oh just don't do that" or "have some willpower" and it makes it very hard! or they will say "well just have one" when i know i can't! we just have to figure out what works for us individually. some people do great with moderation and it helps them not binge to have these things. but for me it does not usually work that way. i know i have a sugar addiction.

Are you saying that just because I'm not, nor ever have been, a binge eater, I cannot understand the psychological issues behind these behaviors? So, because I'm not an alcoholic or a drug user, but my brothers are, I can't understand what they are going through and have no right to offer them advice, either? I disagree. And for the record, as a teacher, I am required to look at others' situations and, if need be, report on them. I have never been abused, but I am trained to recognize abused children, neglected children, at risk children. It is my legal and moral obligation to do so.

I don't understand the pain of binge eating, but I consider myself competent enough to recognize the signs of someone who needs therapeutic help for their (insert issue here). Unless we openly dialogue with others about our problems, be they personal or second-source problems, NOTHING will change. We are each other's support system, whether we're personally going through it or not. That's how I see it.
  • PorcelainDissonance
    Options
    For 17 years, I was a born n' raised binge eater. I grew up in a home that scolded me for not finishing everything on my plate, encouraged 4th, 5th and even 6th helpings of food, while only really consuming pure crap. Sugary poptarts, pizza, 'Chinese food', Subway, and huge tubs of ice cream were always the norm in my house. When I was 17, I worked hard to stop binge eating, which I have mostly been successful at. I do still struggle with healthy moderation, but I try.

2 days ago was the worst binge, I have ever had. On the night of the 16th, I ate over 2000 calories over the course of 30 minutes. My unbearable anxiety over weighing myself combined with my stress and sleeping pills in my system just kickstarted a huge binge. I was upset that I had weighed in at 4 pounds heavier than my last weigh in, so I binged. I binged on chocolate raisins, fruit strips, rice soup bowls and cans of chili. Now, all the food I binged on was healthy, organic, gluten free and vegan, but I stilled binged none the less. By the end of the day, (actually, over the course of a few hours) i consumed upwards of 7,000 calories. I woke up yesterday obviously very sick, yet kept binge eating. I ate mozzarella sticks, boxes of candy, and even a few foods containing gluten (which is why I think I ended up vomiting everything up yesterday). I made the severe mistake of weighing myself yesterday, which led to me finding that I've gained 9.2 pounds, over the course of my 2 day binge.

As of right now I've only had some ginger tea and fresh water, but I woke up 20 minutes ago. I should be at work then getting ready for class (as I missed my classes yesterday), but quite frankly, i can't. After the commotion of my mentality yesterday, the knowledge of my weight gain and everything else going on, I cannot make it to class today. I'm just going to email my teachers, telling them I have a stomach bug/upset stomach.

I know that a pound or two of my weight gain was due to water retention and another pound or two must be due to the food still sitting within my system. I don't plan on weighing myself until February 2nd (as I normally only weigh myself 2 times a month, on the 2nd and 20th), but I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm scared that today will be another day of binge eating, because once I eat one food, quite frankly I eat them all.

I know plenty about the psychology behind binge eating, and about healthy nutrition, so please don't lecture me, or provide me with annoying unwarranted advice. As of right now, all I need is some support and encouragement to get back on track, with everything.

I understand your desire to not want a lecture or unwarranted advice, but I do suggest you open yourself up to listening to what others who have gone through your situation have experienced. I am not one of those, but I am fairly certain that, until you can identify, embrace, and learn to manage your triggers, you will be on a vicious repeat cycle of what just happened to you. I'm certain you feel ashamed, and I'm sorry to hear you have such an internal struggle going on right now. But, you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. Embrace your mistake, analyze why it occurred and find the strength to change it, whether you do it alone, or with the support of friends or a therapist. You have to make a conscious decision to change. Good luck, I imagine your pain, humiliation and fear must be overwhelming.

I am already in a therapy program to learn how to deal with these sorts of things, which is why I asked for support as opposed to advice. For me it's not a matter of recognizing triggers, because I am more than aware of them. For me, it's about finding enough worth in my existence, to avoid these triggers, and stop being self-destructive via food. Thank you :)
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally binge and it sucks! You have the right idea...you came here for help! Keep reading the responses and look at what you believe will help you. DO NOT let it be the end of what you are accomplishing. You can do this and with all the support you can get here you definitely don't need to do it alone. We are all here!

:flowerforyou:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Take your weakness and use it to help you. Eat a larger than normal deficit for six days(around bmr or slightly under) and have one day a week to just eat. No worries, no guilt, no shame. Been doing this for 3-4 years and it helped me to get into my best shape ever losing almost 70lbs.
  • altheajb
    altheajb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Obcession and depression are to sions we dont need. Be blessed. It is a blessing to have food but we dont need to obcess about everythng that we are consuming. Sometimes it is easier to walk away and say the serenity prayer. God give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can change, and wisdom to know the difference. Maybe that way you can better see what the problem is and face it and not try to eat your way through it, from it ,or about it. Food is good but it holds no answers.
  • ROSE_arc
    Options
    I remember being in college and having my worst years of starve/binge cycles. It was painful to read your post because it is so familiar. I remember being in my dorm late at night, my room mate was out and the cafeteria was not open. Out of lonliness, stress, who knows, i binged on oatmeal. And when i was done with that i ate all my room mates food. I remember feeling so completely out of control, like never before. I am so sorry that this is happening to you. You are not alone in this. I try to think of the situation if my sister had done this...i would never want her to hate herself in the way that i did. In other words, love yourself as much as you love those closest to you. I can understand the feeling of not wanting to eat a thing, for fear that i would binge again. I know you know this, but eating somthing after a binge is the only way to break the cycle. Not eating all day only invites the binge to come back later. Forgive yourself and start anew.
  • PorcelainDissonance
    Options
    wanted to also say that most people who have not been through it or have not been through any form of addiction usually do not understand the power of the binge. most people say "oh just don't do that" or "have some willpower" and it makes it very hard! or they will say "well just have one" when i know i can't! we just have to figure out what works for us individually. some people do great with moderation and it helps them not binge to have these things. but for me it does not usually work that way. i know i have a sugar addiction.

Are you saying that just because I'm not, nor ever have been, a binge eater, I cannot understand the psychological issues behind these behaviors? So, because I'm not an alcoholic or a drug user, but my brothers are, I can't understand what they are going through and have no right to offer them advice, either? I disagree. And for the record, as a teacher, I am required to look at others' situations and, if need be, report on them. I have never been abused, but I am trained to recognize abused children, neglected children, at risk children. It is my legal and moral obligation to do so.

I don't understand the pain of binge eating, but I consider myself competent enough to recognize the signs of someone who needs therapeutic help for their (insert issue here). Unless we openly dialogue with others about our problems, be they personal or second-source problems, NOTHING will change. We are each other's support system, whether we're personally going through it or not. That's how I see it.

I think that all addictions are the same, in the basis of their existence. I believe that we all search for something to take the pain away, and for some addictions/compulsive-anxiety reducing behaviors is what works. Now, that being said, having the same basis does not imply the same experience. Somebody experiencing an addiction to alcohol cannot in any way truly comprehend what it's like, to experience an addiction to food. They can comprehend the overall struggle with addiction, but every maladaptive and destructive coping mechanism (while having the same roots) is still very different.

So, I agree with the original comment, in which you are responding to. I believe that you cannot comprehend the psychological experience, of somebody who is a binge eater, unless you are one. I think that you can read a book or report on binge eating and know the psychological facts, but I do not believe that you can comprehend the experience it's self, without having it.

I STRONGLY disagree with the fact that you feel competent, in determine whether or not somebody needs therapeutic support. While you may be a teacher who is required to report suspected abuse/neglect, you are mandated to report it to somebody who can treat these problems (including determining the appropriate level of care), and you yourself are not required to treat the child, nor are you justified in determining the child's needs. Like you said in your comment, you are trained to recognize the signs, not to give the child your therapeutic opinion, since you are not licensed and trained to do such. Quite frankly, you are not trained in these sorts of things, nor do you have personal experience, so your comments (while appreciated) were quite oppressive in nature. I think its amazing that you feel the moral/ethical responsibility for these children, but you need to realize that overstepping boundaries and attempting to work beyond your competency is going to do more HARM than GOOD, for the children, or those involved in these sorts of situations.

I am actually a trained volunteer, in dealing with domestic violence and sexual assault situations, as well as a pre-medical psychology major. So, I'm trained to deal with DV/SA situations, and I have a pretty hefty knowledge bank about psychology and medicine. However, when I respond to a hospital for a sexual assault, do you see me offering the nurse advice on how to perform the rape kit while I am holding the survivor's hand? Do you see me attempting to do the nurse's job for her, taking the tools from her hands with the justification of having advocacy training and being a pre-med student? No. That is because, even if I have the correct knowledge, I don't have the proper training or licensing. I recognize my boundaries, and I don't attempt to overstep me, knowing it would not only hurt myself, but also the survivor I was working with.

Long story short, you are in no position to be advising people, on anything concerning therapy. You can encourage somebody to see a therapist as a suggestion in leading them in the direction of somebody who can help them, but having no experience and no professional training, you have no justification in suggesting specific levels of care. You can see red flags, but you are not justified in determining whether or not somebody needs therapeutic support. Please, stop over-stepping your boundaries and assuming that you know about these things, when it's obvious that you don't (persona, or professionally).

You are not trained to deal with eating disorders, nor are you speaking from personal experience. While your support is much appreciated, like I mentioned above, it's oppressive in nature when people whom have no personal knowledge or experience with eating disorders/their treatment start making these sorts of claims and assumptions.

Honestly, being a psychology major, it pisses me off when people assume that they have the right, to make suggestions that take years and years of training to become educated about, and licensed to provide. -_-
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    For 17 years, I was a born n' raised binge eater. I grew up in a home that scolded me for not finishing everything on my plate, encouraged 4th, 5th and even 6th helpings of food, while only really consuming pure crap. Sugary poptarts, pizza, 'Chinese food', Subway, and huge tubs of ice cream were always the norm in my house. When I was 17, I worked hard to stop binge eating, which I have mostly been successful at. I do still struggle with healthy moderation, but I try.

2 days ago was the worst binge, I have ever had. On the night of the 16th, I ate over 2000 calories over the course of 30 minutes. My unbearable anxiety over weighing myself combined with my stress and sleeping pills in my system just kickstarted a huge binge. I was upset that I had weighed in at 4 pounds heavier than my last weigh in, so I binged. I binged on chocolate raisins, fruit strips, rice soup bowls and cans of chili. Now, all the food I binged on was healthy, organic, gluten free and vegan, but I stilled binged none the less. By the end of the day, (actually, over the course of a few hours) i consumed upwards of 7,000 calories. I woke up yesterday obviously very sick, yet kept binge eating. I ate mozzarella sticks, boxes of candy, and even a few foods containing gluten (which is why I think I ended up vomiting everything up yesterday). I made the severe mistake of weighing myself yesterday, which led to me finding that I've gained 9.2 pounds, over the course of my 2 day binge.

As of right now I've only had some ginger tea and fresh water, but I woke up 20 minutes ago. I should be at work then getting ready for class (as I missed my classes yesterday), but quite frankly, i can't. After the commotion of my mentality yesterday, the knowledge of my weight gain and everything else going on, I cannot make it to class today. I'm just going to email my teachers, telling them I have a stomach bug/upset stomach.

I know that a pound or two of my weight gain was due to water retention and another pound or two must be due to the food still sitting within my system. I don't plan on weighing myself until February 2nd (as I normally only weigh myself 2 times a month, on the 2nd and 20th), but I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm scared that today will be another day of binge eating, because once I eat one food, quite frankly I eat them all.

I know plenty about the psychology behind binge eating, and about healthy nutrition, so please don't lecture me, or provide me with annoying unwarranted advice. As of right now, all I need is some support and encouragement to get back on track, with everything.

I understand your desire to not want a lecture or unwarranted advice, but I do suggest you open yourself up to listening to what others who have gone through your situation have experienced. I am not one of those, but I am fairly certain that, until you can identify, embrace, and learn to manage your triggers, you will be on a vicious repeat cycle of what just happened to you. I'm certain you feel ashamed, and I'm sorry to hear you have such an internal struggle going on right now. But, you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. Embrace your mistake, analyze why it occurred and find the strength to change it, whether you do it alone, or with the support of friends or a therapist. You have to make a conscious decision to change. Good luck, I imagine your pain, humiliation and fear must be overwhelming.

I am already in a therapy program to learn how to deal with these sorts of things, which is why I asked for support as opposed to advice. For me it's not a matter of recognizing triggers, because I am more than aware of them. For me, it's about finding enough worth in my existence, to avoid these triggers, and stop being self-destructive via food. Thank you :)

There's the heartbreaking thing for me right there. We are all beautiful people, and it is sad when I read comments like these. You're beautiful to me!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I think that all addictions are the same, in the basis of their existence. I believe that we all search for something to take the pain away, and for some addictions/compulsive-anxiety reducing behaviors is what works. Now, that being said, having the same basis does not imply the same experience. Somebody experiencing an addiction to alcohol cannot in any way truly comprehend what it's like, to experience an addiction to food. They can comprehend the overall struggle with addiction, but every maladaptive and destructive coping mechanism (while having the same roots) is still very different.

So, I agree with the original comment, in which you are responding to. I believe that you cannot comprehend the psychological experience, of somebody who is a binge eater, unless you are one. I think that you can read a book or report on binge eating and know the psychological facts, but I do not believe that you can comprehend the experience it's self, without having it.

I STRONGLY disagree with the fact that you feel competent, in determine whether or not somebody needs therapeutic support. While you may be a teacher who is required to report suspected abuse/neglect, you are mandated to report it to somebody who can treat these problems, and you yourself are not required to treat the child. Like you said in your comment, you are trained to recognize the signs, not to give the child your therapeutic opinion, since you are not licensed and trained to do such. Quite frankly, you are not trained in these sorts of things, nor do you have personal experience, so your comments (while appreciated) were quite oppressive in nature.

I am actually a trained volunteer, in dealing with domestic violence and sexual assault situations, as well as a pre-medical psychology major. So, I'm trained to deal with DV/SA situations, and I have a pretty hefty knowledge bank about psychology and medicine. However, when I respond to a hospital for a sexual assault, do you see me offering the nurse advice on how to perform the rape kit while I am holding the survivor's hand? Do you see me attempting to do the nurse's job for her, taking the tools from her hands with the justification of having advocacy training and being a pre-med student? No. That is because, even if I have the correct knowledge, I don't have the proper training or licensing.

Long story short, you are in no position to be advising people, on anything concerning therapy. You can encourage somebody to see a therapist as a suggestion in leading them in the direction of somebody who can help them, but having no experience and no professional training, you have no justification in saying such things. You can see red flags, but you are not justified in determining whether or not somebody needs therapeutic support. Please, stop over-stepping your boundaries and assuming that you know about these things, when it's obvious that you don't (persona, or professionally).

You are not trained to deal with eating disorders, nor are you speaking from personal experience. While your support is much appreciated, like I mentioned above, it's oppressive in nature when people whom have no personal knowledge or experience with eating disorders/their treatment start making these sorts of claims and assumptions.

I never said I was a therapist. Did I say I was? And regardless of your personal opinion/response, I WILL continue to speak my mind and let people know that they could benefit from professional help. So, thank you for your very curt, very opinionated, almost caustic sounding response. But, it won't change MY attitude or MY desire to help others.
  • Mandy_SD
    Mandy_SD Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about finding enough worth in my existence, to avoid these triggers, and stop being self-destructive via food.

This sentence really hit home for me. I too struggle with binging and purging. For a very long time it was my dirty little secret. With the support of family and friends I am recovering. I have learned that no one is perfect and we all have our demons. Thank you for sharing, you are not alone :heart:
  • PorcelainDissonance
    Options

I STRONGLY disagree with the fact that you feel competent, in determine whether or not somebody needs therapeutic support. While you may be a teacher who is required to report suspected abuse/neglect, you are mandated to report it to somebody who can treat these problems, and you yourself are not required to treat the child. Like you said in your comment, you are trained to recognize the signs, not to give the child your therapeutic opinion, since you are not licensed and trained to do such. Quite frankly, you are not trained in these sorts of things, nor do you have personal experience, so your comments (while appreciated) were quite oppressive in nature.

I am actually a trained volunteer, in dealing with domestic violence and sexual assault situations, as well as a pre-medical psychology major. So, I'm trained to deal with DV/SA situations, and I have a pretty hefty knowledge bank about psychology and medicine. However, when I respond to a hospital for a sexual assault, do you see me offering the nurse advice on how to perform the rape kit while I am holding the survivor's hand? Do you see me attempting to do the nurse's job for her, taking the tools from her hands with the justification of having advocacy training and being a pre-med student? No. That is because, even if I have the correct knowledge, I don't have the proper training or licensing.

Long story short, you are in no position to be advising people, on anything concerning therapy. You can encourage somebody to see a therapist as a suggestion in leading them in the direction of somebody who can help them, but having no experience and no professional training, you have no justification in saying such things. You can see red flags, but you are not justified in determining whether or not somebody needs therapeutic support. Please, stop over-stepping your boundaries and assuming that you know about these things, when it's obvious that you don't (persona, or professionally).

I never said I was a therapist. Did I say I was? And regardless of your personal opinion/response, I WILL continue to speak my mind and let people know that they could benefit from professional help. So, thank you for your very curt, very opinionated, almost caustic sounding response. But, it won't change MY attitude or MY desire to help others.

I never said that you were claiming to be a therapist. I said that not being licensed to provide therapeutic suggestions yet still insisting on providing them to people in crisis/need of support is more often than not damaging, illegal (since you brought up your obligations to do these things in a classroom setting), and counterproductive.

I never said that you couldn't speak your mind; after all, I am very big on the 'freedom of speech'. However, I do have a problem when your words are oppressive, and possibly damaging in nature. If you are insisting to utilize your rights in such ways, you cannot be upset when others utilize theirs as well. I never said that you should change your attitude or desire to help others either. If you read what I wrote, you would see that I find your desire to help other amazing I merely suggested that you recognize your boundaries, and the extents of your ability to help others, since you seem to be attempting to overstep them. By overstepping your boundaries concerning abilities, you are not helping others. You are harming them.

I was not trying to be cruel, just like you insist on having your opinions and whatnot, I can insist on expressing mine. If you are so riled up by people debating perspectives and viewpoints in a respectful and mature manner, perhaps you should double think posting things online. Making posts online like this means you are opening yourself up to debate, opposing view points, etc.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options

sounds like you do have experience with addictions, so therefore you do understand it. i'm not talking about you then. i'm talking about those who write it off as lack of willpower and say snarky things. a lot of those on the forums. i think that's why a lot of groups have sprung up related to binge eating, because we know we best understand it because we've been through it. it's easy for a person who doesn't have experience with addiction to just say to stop it. but you're right. that is why help is needed. people can understand and can help.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What happened is something that cannot be undone, but now you can work on changing. I've noticed if I eat healthy foods like veggies and fruits, I don't really crave much else. However, I made a mistake of eating a Special K bar a few days ago. Those things have so much sugar and are addicting. It set me up for wanting more and more food. So, what I'm saying is, try to eat foods without sugar so that you don't have a huge craving for more and more food.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You said you had anxiety over weighing yourself. I would say first step is to get rid of those scales. Work first on being healthy and taking control, without the weight loss part. As you become more comfortable with your eating and start feeling better then maybe weigh in again. I have never binged but I have had issues with anxiety and depression and emotional eating and the first step I took was eliminating the things that set it off. When I had control of that it made the rest quite a bit easier.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that you have a very unhealthy relationship with food and that you need to talk to someone who specializes in that field to learn to deal with this. Find a good councellor to talk to that deals with emotional eating and binging and get some theraputic support behind you for this. I binge eat too, but not quite to this degree. Hugs!
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course, support!

You clearly understand that your binge came from your emotional state, not from hunger, and that is a great first step.
    A key for you, going forward, will be growing into awareness of what those binge-triggering emotions feel like (as well as the triggers for them), so that you can reach out for emotional support instead of reaching for food in order to squelch those feelings. That's going to be very hard emotional work, but many of us have gone there, and I know you are equal to the task.

If you can't afford professional help, see if there is an Overeaters Anonymous meeting in the area where you live, please think about checking it out, or consider online meetings (available via the OA website). They don't cost anything to attend (but live meetings do ask for a nominal financial donation at the end). Also, see if your school has a health service that provides psychological counseling. If you're a full-time student, it's covered by your fees. Take advantage of it!

Bottom line: being able to connect with someone who understands you and will NOT be judgmental when you are struggling with weight, bingeing, and all the emotions that get stirred up, will help you greatly.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger too... I'm here for you sweetie. Everything is going to be okay... promise. We just take things one day at a time. I'm here if you want a friend! xoxo
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't really have much advice because I am on this website trying to figure out how to fight my own battle right along with you. However, I do want you to know that I hear you and feel your pain and am sorry you are hurting.
  • PorcelainDissonance
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your support and positive encouragement, I really appreciate it! ^.^