2.5 lb weight GAIN in a week. . . HELP!

Options
Ok I am at a loss. I have watched very carefully what I have been eating over the last week and am under my calorie goal for the day every time. I have eaten a lot of salads (watching the toppings so I don't go calorie crazy)

I am also breastfeeding and my body shuts down milk production if I eat less than 1800 cals a day at LEAST. I have been losing weight (1-2 lbs a week) but this week gained 2.5 back, feel bloated and just yucky in general.

I have upped my salad consumption and that is really the only thing I have changed. Is there any possible link between the salad and weight gain? It just seems so counterintuitive! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight. What kind of dressing are you using in all these salads? Lots of dressings are terribly high in sodium. I know if I eat a lot of sodium, I gain water weight so easily. Are you tracking sodium? It might help...
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling bloated and yukky, what is your sodium intake? Are you starting your period again? If what you've been doing has been working and you're having an off week, I would just take it in stride and if you see a pattern then start to worry.

ps, I'm eating over 2000 cals and rarely eat salads. They are good for you, but aren't a cure all. Make sure you're eating a good balance of protein and carbs, too.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    think of it this way.

did you eat an additional 8,750 calories this week, beyond your daily allowance?

no?

then it's water weight. happens to everyone.
  • SweetNSassee
    Options
    most likely water weight if you feel bloated. NO WORRIES hun 2.5 is nothing to lose....I gained 7lbs last week now that's a reason to cry lol
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Def sounds like water weight - I wouldn't panic yet, up your water intake, be sure to not consume too much salt, a lot of foods have hidden salt in them. Continue to eat well, and see what happens next week.

Good Luck!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    really? This is a topic.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    A viewable diary would help those attempting to give advice. Off hand, in general, one week is not a great indicator.
  • tfis4life
    Options
    I will have to check on my salt intake. I have not been tracking it so it very well could be that. My period still hasn't returned since I had my baby. I am sure due to mirena birth control and breastfeeding combo so doubtful that is the problem.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I know you all probably have had off weeks and get down, so thanks! Off to track my sodium and up my water intake!
  • tfis4life
    Options
    Sorry I am new to this and weight gain is discouraging when you are trying so hard.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would wager that you are not physically capable of eating the quantity of calories requires to gain 2.5 lb/wk.

You got fat slowly. Extremely rapid weight gain is very, very hard.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Ok I am at a loss. I have watched very carefully what I have been eating over the last week and am under my calorie goal for the day every time. I have eaten a lot of salads (watching the toppings so I don't go calorie crazy)

I am also breastfeeding and my body shuts down milk production if I eat less than 1800 cals a day at LEAST. I have been losing weight (1-2 lbs a week) but this week gained 2.5 back, feel bloated and just yucky in general.

I have upped my salad consumption and that is really the only thing I have changed. Is there any possible link between the salad and weight gain? It just seems so counterintuitive! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It might be hormonal, especially since you feel bloated and yucky in general. BFing obviously messes with your hormones and prevents you from ovulating for a while, but you could still be experiencing water weight gain from hormonal changes. You could also be about to start.
  • Rdbeads
    Options
    Lettuce and other vegetables can increase bloating and intestinal gas, so maybe try to limit the salads to a few times a week.... there are many other low cal options that are just as healthy. At one point in time, I ate salads just about every day for a week or two and it was almost counterproductive.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me, I can fluctuate 2 lbs in a DAY.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much at maintenance now (still working on body fat percentage, but not worried about the number on the scale). I do still weigh in to keep on track and I have a range of 3 pounds that I fluctuate in. Not to worry!!