starving to death

Options

Replies

• eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    hey - I had the same problem with being hungry all the time and I started taking stuff called Shakeology about a year ago.... it's a one shake a day all natural thing. Cut my cravings and hunger right down and still allowed me to keep my calories down. Is this something you'd be interested in?

i might be.. can you tell me more about it?

Please do not let that guy sell you Shakeology.

Try this first: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you could simply just be hungry all the time because your metabolism is getting faster. instead of planning out 3 meals per day, plan 6 and make them all the same size. not quite as big as your already-planned-out meals, but not as small as your snacks you have throughout the day. make sure that your snacks/meals (whatever you want to call them) are relatively high in protein and have a decent amount of carbs and fiber. that will keep you full longer. as far as water goes, you should try to drink a little more. the minimum you should be drinking per day is 64 oz, which is what you've been drinking, you said. by drinking a little more you should also be full longer, with the frequency that you're eating.
    hope this helped :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do not skip breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day. Get a good bowl of oatmeal in you with some protein powder to help sustain you all morning (this is about ~250 calories if you're making your own, I like to make mine in the crockpot [using steel cut oats] the night before and have leftovers for the whole week!). BTW, Jillian Michaels does not recommend skipping breakfast... Especially in her "Master your Metabolism Book". 'Eat like a queen in the morning, a princess in the afternoon, and a pauper at night.'

There is honestly no proof that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It seems this slogan was brought on by breakfast cereal makers years ago. IF works very well. There is no proof that timing of meals is effective. Calories in, calories out and fine tuning your macros. My weight loss is proof it works.

While I do agree with this, I would be miserable if I skipped breakfast and would probably pork out by lunch time because I would be utterly famished. I know skipping breakfast works for some, but I'd definitely be starving if I did it and my blood sugar levels would be completely jacked.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    hey - I had the same problem with being hungry all the time and I started taking stuff called Shakeology about a year ago.... it's a one shake a day all natural thing. Cut my cravings and hunger right down and still allowed me to keep my calories down. Is this something you'd be interested in?

Try this first: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Especially since it's against forum rules for him to be trying to sell it to you.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    400 calories of soup? Do you know how many veggies you could eat and not reach 400 calories? :-) Eat a large spinach salad with cucumber, carrot, green pepper, tomato, green onion and hard boiled egg or avocado. (NO CHEESE)! Use light salad dressing (measure it out) or make your own low calorie dressing. You'll open up more calories for later AND it will fill you up a lot better than soup will.
  • dpurzer
    dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The base calorie level leaves me hungry as well. However, by increasing the burned calories it automatically gives you more net calories. This helped me on multiple levels: I don't think about eating while working out, I exercise more, it curves my "big meal" appetite (i.e. I notice that I consume smaller portions on workout days), and end up below the limit.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Do not skip breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day. Get a good bowl of oatmeal in you with some protein powder to help sustain you all morning (this is about ~250 calories if you're making your own, I like to make mine in the crockpot [using steel cut oats] the night before and have leftovers for the whole week!). BTW, Jillian Michaels does not recommend skipping breakfast... Especially in her "Master your Metabolism Book". 'Eat like a queen in the morning, a princess in the afternoon, and a pauper at night.'

There is honestly no proof that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It seems this slogan was brought on by breakfast cereal makers years ago. IF works very well. There is no proof that timing of meals is effective. Calories in, calories out and fine tuning your macros. My weight loss is proof it works.

This exactly. There is no most important meal of the day. More fiber and more protein will help also. Sometimes hunger is just a part of losing weight. It's not comfortable but neither is the alternative, having more fat than you want. If you want it, you will achieve it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Obvious coach is obvious.
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    400 calories of soup? Do you know how many veggies you could eat and not reach 400 calories? :-) Eat a large spinach salad with cucumber, carrot, green pepper, tomato, green onion and hard boiled egg or avocado. (NO CHEESE)! Use light salad dressing (measure it out) or make your own low calorie dressing. You'll open up more calories for later AND it will fill you up a lot better than soup will.

exactly!!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone that tells you to skip meals! Unless you want to put your metabolism into the toilet you need to start the day with something. You're body doesn't kick start until you add fuel. It doesn't have to be a lot but something....protein would be the best as that will help sustain you better until lunch. If people say they are starving by lunch after having breakfast then they aren't eating the right breakfast. For me, oatmeal doesn't sustain, for others it does. You'll have to play around to see what works and what doesn't for you.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how everyone has such different experiences with what works for them. I could never skip breakfast! I also think you should try having 4 smaller meals, evenly spaced out. Also, my stomach really growls! I think that some people might just be hungrier than others. I have been on MFP and changed my diet 4 months ago. When I first started I felt like I was starving all the time. Now my body has got more used to the lower intake, but as I said my tummy is growling about 30 minutes before meal time. I just get through it. I also only do 1 or 1.5 pounds per week. 2 pounds is too much!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone that tells you to skip meals! Unless you want to put your metabolism into the toilet you need to start the day with something. You're body doesn't kick start until you add fuel. It doesn't have to be a lot but something....protein would be the best as that will help sustain you better until lunch. If people say they are starving by lunch after having breakfast then they aren't eating the right breakfast. For me, oatmeal doesn't sustain, for others it does. You'll have to play around to see what works and what doesn't for you.

Yes, don't listen to me. I know nothing!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone that tells you to skip meals! Unless you want to put your metabolism into the toilet you need to start the day with something. You're body doesn't kick start until you add fuel.

This is demonstrably false. Your metabolism doesn't start to go "into the toilet" unless you fast for about 3 days. Intermittent fasters - no, I'm not one, for the record - have no trouble with their metabolism by only eating from late afternoon to bedtime.
  • carleighsmama
    carleighsmama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have found that 1,200 calories is too little for me. My daily goal is 1,380. If I ever come in a little low to that, I have a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter. It keeps me feeling full until morning. Very rarely can I pull off 1,200 calories without feeling hungry.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary to really help..

But i eat nuts and natural peanut butter straight off a spoon. I also eat a ton of raw veggies at my desk. Of course i'm never hungry.. i'm trying to create hunger.. So i'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum.. but it's working.. i hit 1200 a day most days now.

Protein will help you feel fuller longer.. have an egg with a slice of cheese in the morning with oragnic 9 grain bread. That'll get you over 10 grams. Or use protein powder in greek yougrut with some strawberries.. that will get you around 40 grams depend on what kind of yogurt and powder you use.

Drink more water.. you could be confusing thirst for hunger.. it's common.

if you're hungry I woudln't skip meals or skip eating. I think you're just not eating enough of the things your body needs. Adjust your macros. protein and fiber especially, and experiment with differnt food choices and different caloric intakes. You'll find the happy place sooner or later.
  • robpbeachbod
    Options

[/quote]

I'm not "Selling" anything - i'm recommending something that I use because it works for me. It's up to the individual if they want to use it or not themselves.

If you are going to post a link - make sure it actually has something to do with what you are rambling about.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Yes, please don't listen to me. I don't know anything and still managed to lose 110 pounds in a year WITHOUT starving and skipping breakfast on many occasions. I don't like breakfast and therefore don't eat it. I'm living proof it works.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Skip Breakfast - it's not the end of the world like most people would have you believe. Jillian Michaels is an advocate for skipping breakfast. I find when I skip breakfast, my calories are always lower on that day. Breakfast makes me hungrier for the rest of the day.
    Actually Jillian Michaels is AGAINST skipping breakfast, but like you (and other peer reviewed clinical study) I don't believe breakfast is necessary.
    But I believe the problem here is that if you're STARVING, then your calorie deficit for you is TOO HIGH. How many pounds are you trying to lose a week?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Eating some protein at lunch might help hold you over until snack time or dinner. No way two cups of soup is going to hold me over for 5ish hours, but a piece of chicken might.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

:laugh: Don't fall for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition