Older and struggling to lose

Options

Replies

• p_hanks
    p_hanks Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 58 and this is my second day on MFP. I have about 25 lbs. to lose. I'm in the cold, too. But I just suck it up and get out there. After about 15 minutes of brisk walking, I'm actually warm. Getting out the door is the hardest part. Feel free to add me to your friend list. Good luck!
  • zagrath769
    zagrath769 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am from Nebraska so I know what you mean about the cold. I'm 43 years old. I'm not much for doing things outside this time of year, but I do belong to Curves and I go 2-3 times a week, so I get my exercise there. Best of luck to you. Friend me if you'd like to.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to MFP. I am also very discouraged,because I have tried so many other things over the years( I am 63). I don't want to be fat (237) I want to be more active but something in my head keeps saying you can't do this again, there isn't time, you have to do the house work. The other issue I have is I have a thin over active husband that likes ICE CREAM AND COOKIES BEFORE HE GOES TO BED EVERY NIGHT. How do you cope with all of this? How do I make the changes I need to make? Help!

You are never too old to get in shape and eat right. Just get up and move. Turn on some music and dance through your housework if that's the only time you have. Just get up and move!

If avoiding the sweets when your husband eats them is a problem, than save 100-150 calories for the end of the day and have a Weight Watchers or Skinny Cow frozen treat. You don't have to give up all treats to lose weight.
  • lpeace2u
    lpeace2u Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Living in Northeast Ohio, I can totally relate to not wanting to go out in the cold to run/walk or even go to the gym...sweat, don't want to shower at the gym...go out in the cold LOL I've made every excuse BUT this was my look at yourself hard in the mirror week and it motivated me to get to the gym. I lost 19 lbs. the hard way. Took a few months...or longer off. Realized I gain 5 lb. back and decided it was time to get back at it. I am 45. Anyone can feel free to add me.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    Welcome feel free to add me :)
  • cindywomack1
    cindywomack1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.... I am 45. Hit 40, took a good hard look at myself, decided to lose weight and get into shape and now it is my lifestyle. you can get your metabolism reved up again, like when you were younger, but it is going to take work and dedication. I am in better shape and healthier at 45 than I was at 26.

cindywomack1 on my fitness pa

Cindy Link Womack on facebook
  • JanJan060
    JanJan060 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HI guys, I am 60 and signed up here Jan. 3 2013. This is exactly the plan we were loking for. I have lost 6lbs. so far. I need to loose 28more. Cause my motivation is my first grandchild is comming and I need to be in shape to take care of him or her.:sad:
  • jodyhepp
    Options
    I started having health issues March '12 and finally a hysterectomy in August. I have gained 30 pounds in the last year! Ugh!! Weight Watchers worked for me 10 years ago, but I've tried it twice since then and the new program doesn't work for me. I like MFP because the format reminds me of WW when I did it and it worked. I went back to the gym last Monday for the first time in months, I've been riding the stationary bike, I take a dance class once a week, but it just doesn't work like it did when I was 35. My husband started eating gluten free 2 weeks ago and he's lost 10 pounds. I'm counting calories, working out at least 4 times a week and I've lost 2.5. Life just isn't fair sometimes.... :(

OK - pity party over, going downstairs to do DDR for 50 minutes...
  • MiguelX66
    MiguelX66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and have to work everyday to control the weight gain!!

Same boat.

The weight seems to come off in ounces but adds back quickly in pounds.

We 'old' people must work harder!
  • pattkw
    pattkw Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello all of you young folks. I am 65 with a new hip replacement and degenerative discs in my lower back, so am unable to do any aerobics, serious walking or treadmill (surgeon's orders). I have tried every weight loss program out there and refuse to pay any more money to lose 10 pounds and regain even more. Been there, done that. I have over 50 lbs to lose. I heard about this program on the radio and found the website to be very user friendly, so here I go again. Living in southeastern Ontario, I too know about the cold and snow and the danger they pose to those less able. I look forward to starting this adventure and have logged in all of my food for the day. My problem is that I am too much of a social animal and love to meet friends or a drink or a meal. Unfortunately, that is what we seniors love to do. Unfortunately, I am the one with the weight issues. Wish me luck.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am 44. The weight just seems to jump from things onto my 5'9" frame nowadays. :huh:
    You are welome to add me.
  • stargazinglily68
    Options
    Hi, I will be 45 this year as well. I am new to this site and would also like some new friends for support ! Please add me :smile:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh when I read "older" and then read that you are 45 - - Yikes! I just turned 50 and it is such an uphill battle to fight this mid-life midsection. All my weight seems to settle right in the belly. In the past, if I gained a few extra pounds in the winter, it was not a big deal to take them off once the weather permitted me to bike ride and walk. Now, I have to bust my but doing aerobics and crunches and frequently get frustrated. I now need to lose 20-25 lbs and have been on an up-down merry-go-round for over a year. I feel your pain. Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • dehere98
    Options
    I'm 51. I think exercise becomes a more important part of weight control as we get older. The best tips I can give you are:

1. Don't use age as an excuse, even if it is a legit one.
    2. Eat right. Eat for health and not for weight loss. If you eat a healthy diet and stick to your calorie goals you will get to a healthy weight.
    3. Have patience. Don't get caught up in gimmicks for quick weight loss. Eat a diet that you can live with forever.
    4. Exercise! Start slow if you are not used to it, but constantly push yourself to do more. Intensity matters. Include aerobic, flexibility and strength exercises. Find activities you enjoy. It shouldn't feel like work all of the time (though it probably will some of the time)
    5. Don't get discouraged when you have a bad day/weekend/week. You will have them. Everyone does. Shake it off and get back on track.
    Well said!
  • hreedus
    Options
    I am 66 and constantly struggle to lose weight -- it seems the older I get, the easier it is to gain, and the harder it is to lose. Not to mention that I can't do the exercises I could do twenty years ago! That being said, I square dance every chance I get, round dance once a week and Scottish Country dance once a week (each of these activities are 2 hrs. long and I burn about 600 cals each). It helps me to maintain a weight, but not losing yet! I am changing my diet drastically every day, and coming closer and :ohwell: closer to becoming vegetarian.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hello all of you young folks. I am 65 with a new hip replacement and degenerative discs in my lower back, so am unable to do any aerobics, serious walking or treadmill (surgeon's orders). I have tried every weight loss program out there and refuse to pay any more money to lose 10 pounds and regain even more. Been there, done that. I have over 50 lbs to lose. I heard about this program on the radio and found the website to be very user friendly, so here I go again. Living in southeastern Ontario, I too know about the cold and snow and the danger they pose to those less able. I look forward to starting this adventure and have logged in all of my food for the day. My problem is that I am too much of a social animal and love to meet friends or a drink or a meal. Unfortunately, that is what we seniors love to do. Unfortunately, I am the one with the weight issues. Wish me luck.

My doctors also told me not to exercise after I was in a traffic accident where I hurt my hips. I have 3 herniated discs and a bad knee. After weighing at 204, I decided that I was going to exercise and to deal with the fall-out after it happened. I have regular setbacks, but over the past two years, my recovery time has decreased, I've lost weight, and my fitness levels have greatly increased. While you may need to heal if you are post-operative, get yourself some physio-therapy, and get in the pool for aquafitness classes. You might have to skip some of the exercises, but you will get stronger. Doing nothing is just bad advice that will shorten your days.
  • baconsBACK
    Options
    why cant i just drink beer, eat pizza and look good. shouldnt it be that simple?
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Woah, 45 is so not "older!"

I think you get to call yourself "older" when you're in your seventies. And even then, only if you're trying to get a seniors' discount!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    <---- 41
    Ohio, joined last year after a surgery to help me get back into pre-fibroid-tumor-shape, but better.

Feel free to add me!