Lifting and thinking nasty thoughts...

Options
I find lifting weights kinda boring/tough at times, so I was estatic when I came across two research studies a couple weeks ago. The first claims that if you swore while enduring pain, you could lift heavier stuff and the second concluded that you could lift heavier if you were thinking about doing harm to someone/something. I decided if I did both, I would get double benefit!

So I've been thinking and saying some nasty thoughts while lifting. Not along the lines of "little bunny Fu Fu, hopping through the forest, scooping up the fieldmice, and bopping them on the head" (I work out at home, no gym bunnies to deal with). My fantasies run more to the old schoolyard taunt -
"I'M GONNA RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AN SPIT DOWN THE HOLE!!!"

One problem though, I'm finding that I have residual aggression to get rid of after my workout. So my question is if I act out some of my thoughts, can I sue the researchers for publishing their work? :laugh:

oh, yeah, I'm new here and looking for some friends....you know, for support and motivation...:flowerforyou:

Sources
Richard Stephens et al., "Swearing as a response to pain," NeuroReport, 2009, 20, 1056-1060
Kurt Gray, "Moral transformation: Good and evil turn the weak into the mighty," Social Psychological & Personality Science, 2010, 1(3), 253-258

Replies

• nbittmann
    Options
    Sounds bogus. Motivation should be in the fact that you just want to move the weight and improve yourself. Set some goals, work hard to get gains, achieve goals, reassess what you want, do it again.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you have left over agression, you didn;t work out hard enough. Stop slackin'
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I miss football so much...legalized *kitten* whooping.
  • runningforlife68
    Options
    I think its worth a shot. jk
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    When I pick up my deadlifts, or do my benches, I do it with my middle finger extended.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Well, now I understand why I used to enjoy lifting so much back when.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I say a very rude word under my breathe every time I complete a set of squats.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do some cardio after you lift. I read something on the internet that says cardio shrinks your testicles
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Do some cardio after you lift. I read something on the internet that says cardio shrinks your testicles
    Yea, you "read" it somewhere.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Cause it's for girls!
  • _ting_
    _ting_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks! I'll get right to that...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Cause it's for girls!

oh no you DIDNT.

Also,I think about various things while lifting...whatever gets it done...I dont find it boring at all
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I listen to Pantera. Usually good for another rep or two. \m/
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I just think about what my *kitten* is gonna look like in June and there is not stopping me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that this thread was going to be about something completely different.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    you can put any action you do on an everyday basis and add "and thinking nasty thoughts" and you have my life.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Please leave Bunny Fu-Fu out of this. He gets me through my gym's strict anti-cursing policy.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that this thread was going to be about something completely different.

^^

Dirty minds FTW!
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Me too, disappointed again!

But I do have a foul mouth at the gym and swear at the weights when I am struggling on my last couple of reps. I also repeatedly tell myself, you lift like a BOY! now lift it you... {insert several expletives}
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

tumblr_m3vcviSWEE1rvzu9do1_500_zps125226fc.gif