not much time to go to gym ;-(

Options
I am 5'4 and weight 263. My goal is to be 180lbs. Looking for some friends for the journey. As much as I hate saying it because of my wife and mother duties I do not have time to go to the gym as often as I would like. (I go once a week 30min. on the eliptical.) I am open to any suggestions. I am on a 1380 cal. a day plan on MFP. This is day 3 for me.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Home workouts have been my godsend. I just use Youtube, since I am too broke to even afford workout videos. I started with Pilates because I needed a low-impact, quiet workout and fell in love with it. Had I been forced to gym it, I would have rage-quit and screwed myself.
  • brunnerlc12
    brunnerlc12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is there a good link that you can share? I'm a broke law student who can't really afford to go to the gym, and I hate going to the school gym (equipment isn't great and I hate when my classmates see me...I'm super self conscious). Thanks!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can get in shape pretty easily at home without equipment. Cardio, Push-ups, etc.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Walk anywhere you can. I walk in and out of work every day which is about 5 miles total, only adds about 1 hour a day total to my travel time and I get to where I need to be.

Other than that try to challenge yourself with household chores like taking the laundry upstairs in small batches so you have to go up and down a few times, vacuum the whole house as quickly as you can, dance around while moppong the floor. Anything that makes your heart beat a bit quicker or makes ytou sweat is exercise, whether there is gym equipment iinvolved or not so just be inventive and have fun :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    for one thing, working out is great, and I'm a big advocate...but it's not necessary for weight loss. Weight loss comes with a caloric deficit...some people try to create that deficit with exercise (many fail) while others create that deficit in their diet (what most people on MFP do). If you're eating at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight regardless of whether you're exercising or not.

That said, when it comes to strength and fitness, the only way to accomplish these things is by working out (cardio for heart health and general fitness and weight training for strength and tone). Rest assured that you do not need to go to the gym to accomplish these things. Nor do you need DVDs or home gym equipment or anything else (though these things are nice)...a bit of imagination will suffice.

For cardio, go for a brisk walk...once your level of fitness goes up, intensify that and incorporate some running. You could also stand in your living room and dance for 30 minutes to your favorite music, etc, etc, etc. In the absence of resistance equipment, body resistance exercises are outstanding.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This is what I like. POP Pilates, her beginner's workout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_gh_fppI

It kicked my *kitten* for the first two weeks. The third week it magically got easier and I've recently moved onto another of her workouts. (Which is currently kicking my *kitten*.) But she's got a really conversational tone throughout her videos, lots of supportive chatter, and I dig the pop music that plays behind her.

My muscles are toning up, though I've got plenty of pounds to drop before it shows. (As another user said, diet drops the weight. Exercise is what changes body composition.) But I am getting stronger - being able to do another video is proof. And that feels freakin' awesome!
  • JennNewStart
    Options
    Try buying a working out DVD and when ever you can't go to the gym use it :). I have space around my living room so when ever I watch tv I am constantly walking around walking and in commercials doing jumping jacks and crunches is hard but is an easy way to get a fast work out.
    ALSO!! When working out at the gym do not! DO NOT! Just stay in one machine elliptical is great but don't do the same machine all times, your muscles need to be challenge..
    I suggest you start off with walking on the treadmill, start increasing the rate, increase your incline. Incline is the best thing you can do, do fast passed work out and then reduce it down basically just go up and down. Move on to the elliptical and finish with some weight training. Every time you go to the gym do something like this and don't be afraid to try more machines.
    If you dedicate 15 minutes to at least 3 machines in your visits to the gym a promise you will see the difference. Don't forget to always drink water the more water you drink the better for you, also eat lots of greens and find out the right fruits and veggies for you.
    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30day Shred, Its 20 min, It has 3 levels , you do each for 10days. It really help me get some strengh and lost 9 lbs and about 4 inches from my waist. You can watch it on youtube, or the dvd was about 8$
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You can go to the library and rent workout DVDs. If you have Comcast cable, they have a health and fitness section on On Demand that you can use. I have no idea if the other cable services have that. You can also just get outside and walk or turn on music and dance. Throw in some squats, lunges, pushups, and dips and you have a good workout.
  • EmilyM89
    EmilyM89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a mom and house wife and attending school so I understand how hard it can be to get to the gym. I bought a yoga ball and do some work outs on that, it came with a dvd which helps a lot. Also when I am cleaning I dance around and just try to move more while going about my day, like random jumping jacks and lunges while I clean. I try to take stairs, and park farther away. I am going to buy a use elliptical today because my gym memebership is going to waste. Hope that helps :)
  • Donnaharms
    Options
    :smile: Just keep moving...I went to Wal-Mart and bought a bunch of work out DVD's. Each DVD usually offers different levels of workouts Go for it....KEEP MOVING!!
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to have that excuse.

I am a working wife and mother who is also very active in church ministry. My husband has 2 full time jobs so he is not around much. I was always so tired and I used my busy schedule as an excuse not to take care of the body God gave me.

1 Corinthians 6:19

I have finally taken the plunge to better myself for the glory of God and to the benefit of my family!

I go to the gym mostly every day straight after work and then go to prayer service right after that. Dinner is a little late, but I have managed to make it work. I feel better and with the MFP as a tool to keep me accountable, I am doing it and now obsessed with how much exercise it will take me to burn off whatever food I have eaten during the day.

My time is very valuable and my schedule is very tight, but the rewards that I will reap from the hard work I am doing now, praising God through it all, will all be well worth it in the end.

I encourage you to STEP UP and bite the bullet and start moving.

If you cannot join the gym, then I would suggest not putting on the tv when you get home to cook dinner, entertain the kids, or anything. The TV is your enemy and will entrap you. KEEP MOVING. Make it a game for the kids to help you collect laundry, dry dishes, whatever so that you can keep moving. Then, once their all bathed, teeth brushed and in slumberland, put on an exercise tape and GO FOR IT! Or try getting up a couple hours earlier and exercising before everyone wakes up. This will get your juices flowing for a great and spectacular day!!!

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!!! :happy:
  • TruScorpio169
    TruScorpio169 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I want to lose about 100 lbs.. so far I'm down 4 lbs. Because of my work schedule I don't have time to go to the gym. I work with kids so whenever they are playing some run around game I join in and get my exercise in.

Also I don't drive so whenever I have to walk somewhere I speed walk. I don't know how old you're kids are but if they are old enough to run around with play games of tag and you can look online for other games or fun family things you can do with them to help burn some calories. Also MFP considers cleaning a workout so log that in if you did some cleaning.

I'm planning to get a Wii so I can do a fun workout at home.. maybe that's something you wanna look into especially since you have a husband and kids.. it could be a family fun activity!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys you don't need big m memberships,YouTube is brilliant, stairs and walking are free. Add me if you want support
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One thing I would suggest for a total body workout,and you can usually fit it anyplace is a heavybag. They can hang from your ceiling,or some have water filled bases to stand up. A great total body workout,all major muscle groups and cardio. Do short little bursts until you can work up to a sustained workout
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Try to fit in the gym twice a week and start lifting weights instead of doing cardio. You can create enough of a deficit to lose weight with diet alone without needing to do cardio.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I think would work great,and I saw this on the Biggest loser the other day, is when Bob had the group workout in the small room they were stuck in. He assigned a deck of cards different exercises. For example, clubs were pushups,spades were jumping jacks,etc. And each number on the card indicated howw many of each they would do. He shuffled the cards and then flipped one at a time,and they were having a great workout,with a nice tempo,and mixed exercises,and by the time they were done, they were drenched. I am actually going to start that this week for myself.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    Thanks guys..my daughter is 2 so she keeps me busy when I get home. I love to dance. I will start putting Pandora on more often and move around. I have a desk job all day..and I hate it!!
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    I have weights at home..I can def. start that as well. My arms can use the work!!
  • stargazinglily68
    Options
    You really don´t need a gym to work out. I always exercise at home, it is so much easier than to fit in the gym in my schedule. Check out www.bodybuilding.com. Don´t be put off by all the bodybuilders...:ohwell: Check the exercise section, all exercises come with video instruction. There are hundreds to choose from and many many can be done just using bodyweight or dumbbells. A skipping rope is also a cheap investment. Please add me if you want !