Balancing calories, carbs, fat & sugar intake

Options
How does everyone do it? I have over 100 lbs to lose and I am Diabetic (type 2). I used to only count carbs and sugars, but now that I have started really exercising and working out, I am obsessed with my calorie intake. I've noticed that I am going a little bit overboard with the fat content.

How does everyone do it? I want to have a balanced LOW-calorie, LOW-carb, LOW-fat and LOW-sugar HEALTHY BALANCED diet, and not feel hungry or consume FAKE ingredients.

Any feedback is appreciated. THANKS!! :happy:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    If you go lower carb, you have to fill your calories with either fat or protein. Neither of those are bad to go "over".

Just stick with healthy foods...lean protein, lots of vegetables, a serving or two a day of starchy vegetables or fruit, 1-3 servings a day of whole grain stuff (not necessary, just according to desire and room in your calories) get some healthy fats, such as nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, some dairy.

My macros are 45% Fat/ 25% Protein/ 30% Carbs, Fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do.
  • keren22
    keren22 Posts: 18
    Options
    These percentages all depend on your goal weight, and what workout program you are following. I have a formula for determining that, if you want to PM me that info, I can put it together for you!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I want to have a balanced LOW-calorie, LOW-carb, LOW-fat and LOW-sugar

Don't forget LOW-protein
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you go lower carb, you have to fill your calories with either fat or protein. Neither of those are bad to go "over".

Just stick with healthy foods...lean protein, lots of vegetables, a serving or two a day of starchy vegetables or fruit, 1-3 servings a day of whole grain stuff (not necessary, just according to desire and room in your calories) get some healthy fats, such as nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, some dairy.

My macros are 45% Fat/ 25% Protein/ 30% Carbs, Fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do.

Agreed. This is typical for me sans the whole grains - (max 1 serving of rice here). If you are lower carb, your % of fat is generally going to be higher. I focus on protein and veggies first, and my protein averages about 100 grams and carbs average between 75 and 125 grams depending on activity levels. Fat just ends up wherever.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    "LOW-calorie, LOW-carb, LOW-fat and LOW-sugar HEALTHY BALANCED diet"...

I'm down 80 pounds from my highest. Were I you, I'd alter your goal to:

"ADEQUATE-calorie, LOW-added/refined sugar, LOW-saturated fats, and HIGH-complex carbohydrates with ALL my RDAs of micronutrients like calcium and vitamin A."

What's your BMR and TDEE? What's your goal caloric intake? If you have 100 to lose, you might want to get a dietician's/doctor's help to determine what dietary changes would be best for YOU (not the changes that were best for ME or anyone else).
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    "LOW-calorie, LOW-carb, LOW-fat and LOW-sugar HEALTHY BALANCED diet"...

I'm down 80 pounds from my highest. Were I you, I'd alter your goal to:

"ADEQUATE-calorie, LOW-added/refined sugar, LOW-saturated fats, and HIGH-complex carbohydrates with ALL my RDAs of micronutrients like calcium and vitamin A."

What's your BMR and TDEE? What's your goal caloric intake? If you have 100 to lose, you might want to get a dietician's/doctor's help to determine what dietary changes would be best for YOU (not the changes that were best for ME or anyone else).

what's TDEE? My BMR is 49% and my BMI is 44. :ohwell: