Options
2»

Replies

• tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel your pain!

I find you have to flaunt it or hide it ..... I either wear very structured/tailored clothes to show off my skinny middle or what I do most is to buy things that hit me under the bust line and flow out ( don't like anything tight on my hips) Right now since it's winter time I've been living in leggings and long sweaters/shirts and boots. LOVE THEM!!!!!

Jeans are the hardest for me - I just have to try on a zillion pairs in every size/shape and cut till I find what works. I've had to get over it and buck up more cash than I want to - but it's worth it to put on a pair and feel great rather than have ten pair that make me feel like poo!

I also cut all of the size tags out of my clothes -

Good Luck to you!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Ideal and perfect? Probably not. Rare and sexy? I'd like to think so! I stick to jeans and dresses with a little stretch in them to get a good fit.

Edit: Adding belts around your waist is super flattering if tops are loose under your bust.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Who cares, like you can change your shape anyway.

Of course you can...............Mine went from round to oval !!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Old Navy Rockstar Jeans are fantastic for that. I have 41" hips and a 30" waist and I tried on a pair of Rockstar skinny jeans and they fit like a glove, no gap at the lower back, and they stay up without a belt.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel your pain!

I find you have to flaunt it or hide it ..... I either wear very structured/tailored clothes to show off my skinny middle or what I do most is to buy things that hit me under the bust line and flow out ( don't like anything tight on my hips) Right now since it's winter time I've been living in leggings and long sweaters/shirts and boots. LOVE THEM!!!!!

Jeans are the hardest for me - I just have to try on a zillion pairs in every size/shape and cut till I find what works. I've had to get over it and buck up more cash than I want to - but it's worth it to put on a pair and feel great rather than have ten pair that make me feel like poo!

I also cut all of the size tags out of my clothes -

Good Luck to you!

I usually have my jeans tailored at the waist. It's cheap and easy to take them in there. Just buy to fit the hips and get them taken in. BOOM easy!
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the low to mid-rise...I fit for the hips and move on, it isn't worth the aggravation. Tops are always tapered in to show off the waist. :tongue:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that the hourglass being considered ideal is because it goes back to a proportionate distribution of fat signifying a healthier mate, because of fat around the midsection may imply certain health problems (diabetes, heart disease, etc) as well as aging.

In my own experience, I don't find it ideal when it comes to clothes shopping, but I'm also too cheap/lazy to spring for tailoring so there's that :laugh:
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I read a study once that said men are more attracted to women with an "hourglass" shape.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I read a study once that said men are more attracted to women with an "hourglass" shape.

I think I've read them saying its geographical (North Americans like hourglass, Africans like pear, Asians like banana/very slim).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Move to England.....I'm 39/29/39 and have no probs here...or look on ebay...for Jeans Levi Curve or very good...

Sometimes I think this is a good plan!

Dorothy Perkins tends to fit me really well. And more brands and stores have my bra size!

OP: order from brands that are cut for people that are shaped like you.

I am not an hourglass, more like a busty pear. But I find that Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Dorothy Perkins, and Ann Taylor are cut pretty well for my shape. I also go for curvy fit pants.

Happy shopping!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies who understood what I was trying to say about clothing,body type and tips where to shop!:happy:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say that the trend for structured clothes like pencil skirts etc is fabulous for me, and I get clothes ok from eBay, my trouble is not looking TOO boobie, sometimes I wear things that fit my waist and it makes my boobs look ridiculous, but I do have a big bust, but its a nice ahape to have, and I know a man who is very happy with it
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Watch "what not to wear". Try on 10 things before you buy one. Ignore size numbers.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I believe that clothes should not be masses produced. There are too many body shapes and variations within each body shape for everyone to try to buy their clothes at the same stores and expect for them to fit. Race is even a factor when it comes to body builds.

I have the inverted triangle body shape: shoulders wider than my hip, thick and undefined waist, no hips or butt and small legs. It's hell trying to buy clothes when you are 2 sizes bigger on the TOP than you are on the BOTTOM.

Most women don't have my shape. Clothes mfg make clothes based on what they believe is the average figure, whatever that is. It really shouldn't even be about which shape is ideal or better.

I really wish that I could sew my own clothes.

Sorry about the rant, but it's just so frustrating to not have what society considers to be the perfect figure and to also have one of the fringe body shapes.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You will NEVER go wrong with a wrap dress. it;s like kryptonite.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yeeeeah. The fact that I am still considered plus size (size 16) when I'm 25 pounds away from my goal makes me a little sad, and I guess my hourglass figure contributes to that a bit. I'll be lucky if I can get into a 12 when I'm done. That being said, I love my shape. It's so curvy and it drives my bf absolutely wild. I wouldn't trade it for another figure type for anything. :)
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I hear ya girl jeans are the worse. I'm 37/28/37 and looking to whittle away @ the waist to make it more pronounced. If you like to on line shop there is a really cool site called Lolita girl it's more dresses and cool shoes but fun to check out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Watch "what not to wear". Try on 10 things before you buy one. Ignore size numbers.

This. I love WNTW because it shows that every body type has their own challenges, and that it's not common for something to fit perfect right off the rack. My torso is about two inches shorter than standard. I'm taller than "petite," but I typically need to buy dresses and some tops/jackets in petite for the waist to hit at the right place. Otherwise, the waist, the smallest part of the garment, hits at my hips instead of my waist. I've tried on some unfortunate blouses where the bust darts were at my waist!

I shop for the biggest parts of my body (hips, shoulders, sometimes arms) and will take a tuck in the waist if I need to. Or sometimes just wearing a belt helps. I typically take in the size I think I am, and one size up and down from that. And I shop different departments. Misses, Petites and Juniors. Stacey and Clinton would yell at me for shopping Juniors at my age, but sometimes it's what fits best. It's pretty effed up when I try on a bunch of misses sweaters and the smalls are too big, but need an XL in Juniors to fit my arms.
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Shapes can change!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Move to England.....I'm 39/29/39 and have no probs here...or look on ebay...for Jeans Levi Curve or very good...

Yep! I live in England and am 38-30-40 and I don't have any problems!

I've got trousers from the US (bought on holiday years ago in Abercrombie & Fitch) and they fit fine. Also I have Levis and CK jeans that are a lovely fit.