Sides for salmon dishes... any ideas?

I love my salmon I could eat this 5 days a week with ease! However I am getting burned out on mixed vegis and rice with my salmon fillets ... give me some ideas here people?

Typically I bake it after soaking it in a teriyaki marinade, which tasty as it is is very 'salty' do the amount of sodium in it (yes I know look for low sodium from now on). Looking for some other ways to make myself a good healthy low fat, LOW CARB*** salmon dish.

Fire away with any ideas you have people. And thank you!

Replies

• Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Asparagus!

Roasted Brussels..............

Spaghetti squash with a marinara sauce
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Here's a recipe for you to try!

Salmon on a Bed of Lentils

Simmered with carrots, turnips and thyme, the lentils make a lovely, hearty bed for the salmon fillets, which are gently cooked on top of them for easy one-dish preparation. Green (Le Puy) lentils are smaller and more delicate than other varieties and hold their shape better during cooking.

4 servings | Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
    Ingredients

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
    1 small onion, peeled and studded with a clove
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    2 small white turnips, peeled and finely chopped
    1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 lemon, quartered

Preparation

Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add broth, lentils, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, 25 minutes.
    Add carrots and turnips; simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more. Remove the onion. Add more broth if necessary; the mixture should be slightly soupy. Taste and adjust seasonings. Lay salmon fillets on top, cover the pan and cook until the salmon is opaque in the center, 8 to 10 minutes.
    Serve in shallow bowls, garnished with parsley and lemon wedges.

Nutrition

Per serving : 382 Calories; 11 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 65 mg Cholesterol; 35 g Carbohydrates; 36 g Protein; 9 g Fiber; 342 mg Sodium; 1142 mg Potassium

2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Asparagus!

Roasted Brussels..............

Spaghetti squash with a marinara sauce

add to that list:

Snap peas
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Artichoke hearts
    Salad
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    quinoa
    cous cous
    beans, white beans with diced tomatoes and olive oil
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Sliced tomatoes with swiss cheese heated in the microwave. Yum!
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Low carb or no carb?

if you're doing terryaki salmon that lends itself to going with stir fried veg and noodles surely? maybe shiritake noodles if you specifically want to avoid carbs - and a stir fry veggie pack from any leading supermarket, to flavour the noodles and veg in a way that would suit terryaki, stir fry the lot and towards the end get a small teacup or heatproof bowl, put 1 or 2 teaspoons of chinese 5 spice seasoning in the bottom and stir in some boiling water from the kettle. add to the noodles veg, reduce down and voila tasty chinese stir fry accompaniment
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    I just made this, it was fantastic (but also very salty):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salmon-Bulgogi-with-Bok-Choy-and-Mushrooms-242481

Have you tried serving grilled salmon with a quinoa pilaf?
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Tagaliatelle or Noodles with soy sauce - incredible!