Anyone else like this?

Options
Does anyone else find it hard to do squats properly? They hurt my hips and I can't seem to get far enough down to where people say I should be....My knee's bend weird naturally, too. My feet are not aligned with my knee's meaning they point to the right and my foot points to the left. It also looks weird when I do lunges, but that's how my legs are...

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It looks like you may need a wider stance.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It looks like you may need a wider stance.

that could work. I'll try it next time and see how i feel
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult too but its usually because I'm stiff and not warmed up. As the workout progresses I can generally get lower and lower.

I'll try the idea of a wider stance and see if that helps me too.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It may take time for your muscles to be able to stretch and your joints to be flexible enough. In my workouts, I just CANNOT get as flat as the instructor for push-ups and planks. I just can't, my muscles won't hold me. But in previous workouts, my ab muscles couldn't hold for more than ten seconds - now they hold easy-breezy. So I know if I just keep at it, soon I'll busting out the pushups and planks like a pro. Just takes building up to it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Do you spend a lot of time sitting? Look up hip flexor exercises, if you do.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that have said to try a wider stance. Also, make sure you keep your chest lifted and are sitting into your heels.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing some light yoga to keep yourself limber and also do some wall sits... they are hard and they suck, but they give you some support for a squatting motion at the same time
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I always feel like it's hard too! Then I feel like I'm sticking my butt out behind me more than actually getting down, but maybe that's how they are supposed to be done :)
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I did when I first started. to help I put my hands on a chair to get me a bit more centered
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I am glad you posted this - i feel like i have a hard time with squats - and reading everyones's replies, i am betting my stance isn't wide enough - thanks for taking the time to ask, and for those who answered thanks too!!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    ^^oh dear, she's right, wall sits suck, but are soo good for you.

I have always done a wide leg stance for squats.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Try keeping your feet a little bit wider than shoulder width apart and imagine that you're sitting down into an invisible chair behind you.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Do you spend a lot of time sitting? Look up hip flexor exercises, if you do.

Yes, actually..... And when i sit, I have to bend me legs outward so it looks weird. looks like it hurts, but i've been sitting this way my whole life.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've always had this problem, even when not over weight and fairly limber. It seemed to be my. I have weird feet, better in high heels. They don't bend "up" hardly at all. I'll be taking the advice given here too, to see if I can get back to lunges.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    BUMP

I am glad you posted this - i feel like i have a hard time with squats - and reading everyones's replies, i am betting my stance isn't wide enough - thanks for taking the time to ask, and for those who answered thanks too!!

No problem :happy:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I concur with everyone else. It could be several of these things.

I would definitely try a wider stance. And make sure your knees and feet are slightly pointing outward. Try to keep your knees in one place during the whole motion, don't let them get closer on the way up.

I have a friend who labels himself as pigeon toed (toes go inward naturally) and it's difficult for him to get into a good squat stance but I've been able to help him with it and one way was to make sure he stance is wide enough. The wider he is the less his kness go inward during the whole motion.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    This sounds stupid, but it's taken me a year to be able to do squats properly. The trainer had me do them in stages and did other stuff to help my posture and hip flexors as well. Now I can do them properly, and even still, I am checking my posture all the time.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, keeping weight in your heels really forces you to take care of your knees and hips. If you're not sure if you're doing that right, try to keep your toes up a little while squatting. This will keep your weight in your heels. If you're using weights, lighten them or get rid of them altogether until your form feels good. You'll be able to get lower over time. But just doing the best you can is always perfect!
  • nicola312
    Options
    Can any one please tell me how many calories Zumba burns x
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You really need to focus on form. Most important thing. If it helps, look at yourself in the mirror. Your knees are not supposed to go past your toes. Push your butt out. Feet about hip-width apart, maybe a liiiittle wider, not much. When i do them, i just concentrate on my knees not going past my toes and sticking my butt out. it works and i can totally feel it in my thighs. Good luck!