Anyone else like this?

Options
2»

Replies

• s_forlini
    Options
    Lower the weight and focus on the technique above all. It's the first thing to get right because it can be easy to injure oneself with this exercise.. Once you have that under control, increase the weight.

A great alternative to the squat with less chance of doing it improperly is the hack squat. If your gym has one, give it a shot. Granted it will not help you at all with your technique on a regular squat, but it can be just as effective.

Hope that helps and good luck.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Everything you describe points toward certain deviations that can be corrected. If your knees cannot stay straight while squating then that means certain muscles are tighter than others and are pulling it away from the center. You need to work the abductors and adductors and make sure you roll out your muscles after your workouts too. I suggest doing squats using an exercise ball to help you with proper form until you can do it without these issues.

Check out this link which will walk you through it.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness_programs_exercise_library_details.aspx?exerciseid=69
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do you spend a lot of time sitting? Look up hip flexor exercises, if you do.
    thanks! I need those :)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Do you spend a lot of time sitting? Look up hip flexor exercises, if you do.

^^^ THIS TOO :-)
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My hip joints get very tight....at this point I couldn't do a squat if I tried...I'd roll over on my back like a big old turtle.

I'd find a lot of hip exercises as well as strength training for quads, and glutes in particular. Back and core strengthening will help too.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Many people just don't have the flexibility, especially in the ankles.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Everything you describe points toward certain deviations that can be corrected. If your knees cannot stay straight while squating then that means certain muscles are tighter than others and are pulling it away from the center. You need to work the abductors and adductors and make sure you roll out your muscles after your workouts too. I suggest doing squats using an exercise ball to help you with proper form until you can do it without these issues.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness_programs_exercise_library_details.aspx?exerciseid=69

This. There are other stretches that will help as well.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also, try doing squats with a yoga ball between your back and the wall. This will help glide you, and its helpful with a wide stance too. I started doing squats that way and gradually progressed up to regular squats and then weighted squats.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in the process of correcting my terrible squat form. I've got long legs, which is part of the issue. Widening my stance has definitely helped, along with strengthening my abductors and glutes. I'm also doing box squats slightly higher than parallel with lighter weights to build up my strength in order to eventually go deep enough*

*That's what she said
  • drumerley
    drumerley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a similar thing with my knees - where they don't seem to line up properly with the rest of my legs. I haven't had issues so much with my hips hurting in squats, but sometimes my knees will hurt, even just standing in horse stance. It's definitely gotten better since I started exercising more. I'm on round 2 of P90X which has tons of squats and lunges. But it also has great yoga and stretching which I think has helped a lot.
    A tip I've done for a long time is when you're squatting, try raising your toes just a bit. Then you know you're pushing on your heels instead of your toes. It can help you keep the proper form. And as others have said - don't let you knees go past your toes.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    mine are very similar. the bones in my legs aren't straight so my feet stick out. what I did was to keep at it and keep practising. I couldn't do squats weeks ago and now I am a lot better.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Can any one please tell me how many calories Zumba burns x

how does this relate? lol
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

This. There are other stretches that will help as well.

Thank you :)

Also, love the Deadpool