Bodybuilding newbie needs advice

Options
One of my "out there" NY resolutions was to enter a bodybuilding competition. Not this year, but the next. This year I want to dedicate to conditioning my body.
A little about myself: 29 y.o. Asian female, 158 cm (5'2"), about 48 kgs (105 lbs). BF=25%.
I just met a NABBA figure competitor who does PT and nutrition. So, this "aiming for the stars" goal might actually eventuate. I want to try for shape category next year and maybe figure the year after.
At the moment I'm doing NROLFW (just finished stage 5), and then I was thinking about Jamie Eason's LiveFit 12 week program before getting a personal trainer involved.
I just changed my food diary settings by upping my calories to 1700 and changing macros to 40% protein 40% fat and 20% carbs. I eat clean (80-90% of the time). Any people that "been there done that" have any advice for me?
I know that being Asian, my genes are against me for putting muscle on, but that just would make it more satisfying in the end!

Replies

• EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome goal- and good luck! Female bodbuilders eat A LOT. I am guessing from your stats that 1700 is close to maintenence for you (or maybe even under it.) Before your comp, you will need to start by adding some serious muscle to your frame through a bulk. You will need to figure out your TDEE and eat at least 500 calroies over that to add any serious amount of muscle. I'd do that for 6 months-a year, then cut to elimiate any BF you gained along with the muscle and see where you are at by the end of that time. I know a lot of women especially are afraid to eat above maintenence, but you will not get the results you want unless you eat to support your training.

Your goal is not too far "out there" and you can definitely do it with some time and dedication. My advice woudl be to bulk as hard as you can for at least 6 months, then cut to see how much muscle and definition you have at a lower BF, and if you feel ready at that point enter a comp.

Good luck!
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    I'm not a competitor but I know a couple of people who might be able to help you...PM me and I'll give you their names :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you want to put on muscle you're probably going to need to gain weight then lose fat later. 1700 isn't going to do this. Calculate your TDEE, add 10%. If you don't gain on this add another 10%. I'm not sure that Jamie Eason's program is the best for bulking (I know very little about it) but you'll need a program that hits each muscle group at least twice a week and has a lot of "volume". 2-3 exercises each muscle, 8-10 reps. Let me find you some good articles to read...
  • bighouse51
    bighouse51 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Set up a profile on Bodybuilding.com ... great site with alot of information and several members are actually in the mags and do shows. They will respond to comments in forums also. Several real users are in LA this week b/c the site is putting on a show to select their 2013 spokes models. Its not an over the top site and has very valuable insight. Also, 1700 may be light if your are trying to add lean mass. You should also consider supplements and an adjustment to your macros.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome goal- and good luck! Female bodbuilders eat A LOT. I am guessing from your stats that 1700 is close to maintenence for you (or maybe even under it.) Before your comp, you will need to start by adding some serious muscle to your frame through a bulk. You will need to figure out your TDEE and eat at least 500 calroies over that to add any serious amount of muscle. I'd do that for 6 months-a year, then cut to elimiate any BF you gained along with the muscle and see where you are at by the end of that time. I know a lot of women especially are afraid to eat above maintenence, but you will not get the results you want unless you eat to support your training.

Your goal is not too far "out there" and you can definitely do it with some time and dedication. My advice woudl be to bulk as hard as you can for at least 6 months, then cut to see how much muscle and definition you have at a lower BF, and if you feel ready at that point enter a comp.

Good luck!

Thanks! My maintenance on MFP is at 1450, but I've been eating around 1600-1800 cal gross and the weight stays pretty much the same, right now I'm below my goal weight. I do want to build more muscle, I'm sure I'd enjoy the bulking stage, just don't want to overdo it, lol :))) I read NABBA rules and for my height I can only go up to 52 kgs, so I've got about 5 kgs to play with is if I cut 1 kg back in fat.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Set up a profile on Bodybuilding.com ... great site with alot of information and several members are actually in the mags and do shows. They will respond to comments in forums also. Several real users are in LA this week b/c the site is putting on a show to select their 2013 spokes models. Its not an over the top site and has very valuable insight. Also, 1700 may be light if your are trying to add lean mass. You should also consider supplements and an adjustment to your macros.

I set up a profile on bodybuilding.com at the beginning of January :) I'm just not updating it as often as I do MFP :) I want to build muscle as naturally as possible. I'm taking whey and casein protein at the moment. The whey isolate has about 8500 mg of BCAAs and I'm thinking about taking more in pill form. I've just adjusted my macros from 30% protein 30% fat, 40% carbs to 40% protein 40% fat and 20% carbs. Changing my diet for such low carb content will take some time :ohwell:
    Local NABBA has a few events throughout the year, I might attend one near me to see the competitors.