WAY under my calories!!

Options
Hi all,

I'm a little distraught. My daily calorie goal is 1400. Today, I have had three reasonably healthy meals, plus a little bit of sweets, and my calorie intake is just a little over 1000. Take out what I burned in exercise, and I've only taken in 888. That's disturbing, and I have no idea what to do. I've heard that if you don't take in enough calories, your body stores more as fat, and I definitely don't want that. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great. Try a spoonful of peanut butter. Or worse yet, a bag of ketchup flavoured rice cakes. Eat the whole bag and that's like 400 cal.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to hurt. The great thing is that you asked the question. What do you do? I'm not trying to be mean, but the answer is pretty simple. You either eat more, or you eat higher calorie foods. You don't need to eat junk to do this. You can add full fat dairy, nuts, peanut butter, avocado. There are lots of possibilities. Sometimes in the beginning people restrict a little too much. Don't beat yourself up over it just for one day. Make small changes. Even an extra apple or some yogurt would have helped. Best of luck.
  • cherry5oda
    cherry5oda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read that "starvation mode" doesn't kick in until like 2 days without food. I think you'll be fine if you are not hungry. It's just one of those great days when a little bit fills you up!
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. A half of a peanut butter sandwich is 200 cals. Add a glass of milk and you should make up the difference.
  • cbailey28072
    Options
    Try using the logs as a planner rather than as a diary of what you ate & exercised. Write down what you plan to eat and what you plan to exercise and see how it measures up. I write in breakfast first, then my planned exercise for the day, then my dinner and then use lunch and snack to round it out, so that I am hitting my goals for calories burned, net calories, fat, protein and fiber. Then I print it out and use it as a guide to my eating & exercising for the day. I may need correct it at the end of the day, if things didn't precisely according to plan; that's okay, it usually isn't too far off. For example, if I didn't get in that last set of exercises, that would put me over my calorie limit, so I might cut out dessert for the evening and still be on target.

It's also helpful to look at your overall food plan and see if you are getting lean protein at every meal, at least 3 veggies, 2 fruits and 2 dairy servings a day. I find if I do that, everything else pretty much falls into place.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, eat more food?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet you're further under your goal than you realize. You did the BMR/TDEE calculations in another thread earlier and it came up between 1900-2200 calories right?
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have this problem! lol.

What kind of meals are you eating? Can swap some ideas if you like? I could do with a few lower cal ones :-)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You did the BMR/TDEE calculations in another thread earlier and it came up between 1900-2200 calories right?

I did this today, think you also posted on that thread. Thanks.

Mine was 1320 which is around what I'm eating... (no fun!) Oh to be taller!
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter...2 Tbsp is 190 calories.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think you should make a called to dr ice cream
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You did the BMR/TDEE calculations in another thread earlier and it came up between 1900-2200 calories right?

I did this today, think you also posted on that thread. Thanks.

Mine was 1320 which is around what I'm eating... (no fun!) Oh to be taller!

1320 sounds like your BMR. You need to know your TDEE.
  • chl823
    chl823 Posts: 48
    Options
    :smile: Treat yourself to something you like to finish off the remaining calories, its like your reward for doing so well! Good luck.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    30g of almonds, 20g of raisins, 20g of dried cranberries = 300 calories and a fantastic sweet snack.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I wish I could figure out me BMI, BMR, TDEE..and all that good stuff.. every site I go on its different or im doing something wrong..
  • maxamus04412
    maxamus04412 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a good snack without feeling like you're being bad
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with some olive oil, that will bring the calories up.
  • Fhoover
    Fhoover Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the calorie counter thing too.. to find how many calories I should be eat.. anyone know??
  • monbeaucher
    monbeaucher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too. Really bad :( Booo.
  • VeronicaAM
    Options
    I read somewhere that iss not such a thing as "starving fat people" Always believe that but seems like we get overweight for eating more than we should , you can see my diary I am eating under and this time I am not scare to eat to little.