Anyone know about Plantar Faciitis?

Options
I have been having pain for almost two months and it is really bad in the morning. I cant even make it to the bathroom without limping and its really painful and after siting it is bad also. I was at my doctor for another reason and told him about it and he said it was plantar faciitis so he told me just to take a towel and stretch my toes towards my nose in the morning. He really didnt say much more so I have been reading up on it and have found a few tricks that help some. So my question is should I see a foot doctor or is this something that I can work out myself? If you had it what worked for you?

Replies

• emioneall
    emioneall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could try new shoes. I know our foot doctors here recommend Asics Nimbus.
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had it pretty bad like you did, and I did the towel trick. I also rolled a tennis ball under my feet at night while sitting to massage everything. I also stood on stairs with my heels hanging down and stretched for a couple of minutes a couple times a day. I became more careful not to come down hard on my heels when walking/running and between that and the stretching I rarely ever have any pain. Hope that helps!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Yes, it hurts!!!

There are all these stretches and tricks people tell you to do like rolling your foot over a tennis ball or something like that but really, the only thing that helps is rest and time. The best thing for me was to wear shoes ALL the time. Even if I got up in the middle of night and walked to the bathroom I put shoes on. I bought a pair of birkenstocks and wear them in the house. That was the only thing that really helped me.

Try advil and some ice for immediate relief and wear shoes!
  • NellasEyes
    Options
    That basically is a fancy way of saying that your Tenden in your foot needs to be stretched. I'm assuming that once you get moving in the morning the pain starts to go away. I had it really bad for a while and i just started to do the foot stretches and massaging it every day and now i dont have any problem.
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    I have these same symptoms! Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm going to try these stretches. Thanks for posting!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Had it for 1.5 years, one word.....DANSKOS

They are orthopedic clogs, corrected my issue in three days!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, had it and beat it eventually. Stretch the bottom of your foot with your hands, toes toward your knee. Do this in the AM before your feet even touch the floor and anytime throughout the day when you sit. Ibuprophen therapy.
    Sorry, it takes a while. Losing 10 pounds helped too.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I had it really bad for a while, too. Mine first appeared after cooking Thanksgiving dinner in our (then) new house, standing barefoot on hardwood floors for three hours.

First lesson I learned - NEVER go barefoot again, and always wear shoes with support. I wear Crocs around the house (they're easy to slip on, and very comfortable). I have a pair of slippers with support. Make sure any pair of shoes you wear have support in them, or use shoe inserts. You can also get a splint to wear at night that will help stretch your foot while you sleep.

Footsmart has a lot of products and shoes that will help. If you go to their web site and search for plantar fasciitis, there are dozens of pages to browse through.

Hang in there - it will get better!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    i got a split to wear to bed at night that keept the foot at an angle while i slept and during the day would use ice, heat, tennis balls and stretches. the splint helped me the most in the morning to be able to do all the other stuff :)

for me I have better luck barfoot or in vibrams :) shoes for me are the devil and cuase me pain. I can"t wait for summer but everyone has different issues.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been having pain for almost two months and it is really bad in the morning. I cant even make it to the bathroom without limping and its really painful and after siting it is bad also. I was at my doctor for another reason and told him about it and he said it was plantar faciitis so he told me just to take a towel and stretch my toes towards my nose in the morning. He really didnt say much more so I have been reading up on it and have found a few tricks that help some. So my question is should I see a foot doctor or is this something that I can work out myself? If you had it what worked for you?

Don't mess with it...see a good foot doctor~~ I have had it and then later on, I had a tibial tendon tear and had to have surgery twice. I still have pain in my foot from the surgery (I have a metal plate and screws in it). Don't know that the plantar faciitis had anything to do with it, but just saying...see a dr.
  • dmkelly67
    dmkelly67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had plantar fasciitis in both feet a while back, and yes it is extremely painful first thing in the morning and after setting for a while. Also when walking a lot. I was a hostess at a restaurant as a part time job and when I got off my shift, some times only 3 hours, it took all I had to make it to my car to go home, then once I was home I just wanted to crawl into the house.

I found that rolling the arch of my foot back and forth over a frozen bottle of water was a big help. Lay the bottle on the floor when you're sitting and just roll it back and forth under your arch. Just resting your feet on ice packs feels really good too. Also before you stand up (every time) flex your feet a couple of times...stretching your toes toward your nose.

Those are a few of the things that I found that helped some. It does take a while to heal though. I probably had it for about 6 months before I started taking care of it, then about 9-12 months before I felt normal again.

Good luck to you and hope that you feel better soon!
    deana
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had it pretty bad like you did, and I did the towel trick. I also rolled a tennis ball under my feet at night while sitting to massage everything. I also stood on stairs with my heels hanging down and stretched for a couple of minutes a couple times a day. I became more careful not to come down hard on my heels when walking/running and between that and the stretching I rarely ever have any pain. Hope that helps!

I did all of this plus started wearing shoes with a little heal sometimes. The foot Dr told me that is key. They have insects for shoes to try too. Good luck!

BTW, I haven't had pain in over 3 years.
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had it a year ago. Did the tennis ball, ice packs, stretching, massages....didn't work for me. Saw a podiatrist and I have very flat feet (no arches) so I got fitted for inserts that are interchangeable. I can put them into any shoe and I haven't had any pain since. Good luck!
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have it right now because I overdid a walk...and I am very overweight. I've had it before and tried all the stretching, etc, but had to go get a cortisone shot which fixed it immediately. I am treating it with rest and stretching again, but this time I knew what it was earlier and I can feel it getting better. I have certain shoes that make it feel better - medium heels and my son's Crocs. Strange mixture, I know.....My expensive sneakers and my even more expensive hiking boots make it hurt SOOOO much. I did just purchase the splint for sleeping, but can't say yet if that will make much difference.

It's super frustrating to get this when I am just getting going on my exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I had it horrible. I had steroid injections in both heels, sleep with a night boot on my right foot and had to get orthotics. It all depends on what is causing it. I highly recommend seeing a doctor to ensure you are treating it properly.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had it really bad also. I tried Dr Schiller inserts. They were 50 dollars. But they work so well. I was skeptically but tried them because the pain was unbearable. Forgot all about it until you mentioned it. I also had bad knee pain. Since ive lost 40 lbs I don't have any more pain in my feet. Guess it was my weight and not my flat feet. My ankles you too swell also but that's gone too.
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank You for all the good suggestions. I never thought of Crocs! I have been trying to find a good pair of house slippers that dont make noise and wake everyone up when I get up in the night. I did notice that when I started stretching in the morning it is getting better. I am hoping to start working out harder and dont want to cause it to get worse. Im sure taking some weight off will help too.
  • TwinMom04
    TwinMom04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The other thing that worked for me was freeze a water bottle with water in it and roll your foot on it. You will get the pressure like a tennis ball with the ice. Also wearing shoes all the time. Heels tend to make it worse for me.

Good lock!
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I first hard trouble with PF in May--right after I started walking. I didn't know what it was, and I didn't want to risk further injury. Unfortunately, in the month it took to get into a podiatrist, I got out of the habit of walking. I got a cortisone shot (warning! They really hurt!!!) The shot lasted about 3 months for me.

When I started walking again this January, my foot started really hurting. This time, I kept walking (doctor told me I was not doing any damage) and scheduled an appointment. I got my 2nd cortisone shot on Thursday. I'm hoping this will allow me to keep up my momentum. If I lose 30 pounds over the next 3 or 4 months, the shot may last longer.
  • tab701
    tab701 Posts: 9
    Options
    Try going to a chiropractor. I told mine about my hurting feet and she was able to adjust them to the point now I rarely have pain in my feet unless they are out of whack.