Graduate Students!

Options
So today was the first day of my second quarter of my MA program. I scraped through last quarter by the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster but paid absolutely no mind to nutrition or fitness at all. We're talking 2 and 3 meals a day in McDonalds, etc. drive-thru. Ashamed to admit that :/

BUT. I'm looking for advice/suggestions/commiseration as to how fellow grad students handle grown-up life in addition to rigorous and time consuming course loads AND health and fitness considerations. I'm making a much more proactive approach this term to really focus on everything but I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure by trying too hard. How do you keep all your plates spinning in the air? Halp!

Feel free to add me too, I'm new :)

Replies

• rlinz123
    Options
    It's so hard! You have my sympathies. I just completed a PhD program (just defended my dissertation last month) and have been in graduate school (master's program then PhD) for over 10 years (yikes! I'm glad to be done! -- the past 5 years or so though was just writing my dissertation VERY SLOWLY -- my excuse for taking so long is working full time and having kids). I think you just have to be really organized and make taking care of yourself a priority. Schedule workouts around your classes (and job(s) and family obligations and other commitments) and think of them as just as important as your coursework. Take advantage of your university's gym! When I was in my master's program, I had "gym dates" with a friend of mine (also a graduate student). If you have a partner, encourage him/her to help with housework, cooking, etc. so that you don't have to do all of that on top of everything else. Plan your meals ahead of time, etc. Good luck with the semester!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm a postdoc now, but managed to still train for at least one marathon a year during grad school (even qualified/ran Boston while writing my dissertation. I sent my final chapter draft to my advisor the day before I ran!). It took a huge amount of organization, I had to have my schedule blocked out hour by hour. I would make a to-do list every day, and keep a piece of paper over the top and bottom...I mean I would only focus on the task I was doing right then and there. In the most extreme times, I made a point of going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time every morning. Exercise actually helped me tremendously. It was the 45 min - hour a day when I could put on music, zone out, and forget about science! I ended up in pretty awesome shape for my defense, since everything was so controlled. Feel free to message me if you want more advice.
  • kayvanne
    kayvanne Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not a grad student but I'm taking tough courses in a pre-grad program .. kind of thing?XD
    I easily spend an extra 10+ hours a week studying/reading...not including actual class time and the hours it takes to do my weekly online assignments and quizzes!

I'm just now trying to manage fitness into my schedule and it seems the best time for me is after class at about 7pm...>xD

ALSO, WELCOME TO MFP:)
    What are your studying? I'm doing Accounting : D Yay for math and numbers and whatnot~
  • lauraejacob
    Options
    I start my second semester of my master's program on Jan. 22nd. I've been motivated since 2013 started because I am working all day and going straight to the rec center on campus, but I am concerned that I will lose that when classes start, because I just get plain exhausted. I also feel like I snack more when classes are in session, because it's hard to wait until 7 or 8 at night to eat dinner after I get out of class.

I'm going to try and stick on the schedule of going straight to the gym after work or class. If my bag and clothes are in my car, I can't ignore it, and it's a lot easier to go straight there than to go sit on the couch, then try and get my butt up an hour later after a "break." I'd end up sitting all night! I think it would be good to have a grad student support group so we can keep each other on track.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm not a grad student, but I some things I do might be worth trying.

Make big batches of soup, casseroles, etc on weekends (or use a crock pot) when you have more time in your house. Once it is made, portion out into lunch/dinner sizes and then keep in your fridge/freezer. It's always easier to know that you have food waiting for you when you are super busy - all you have to do is stick it in the microwave. Batch cooking helps tremendously (even when not in grad school!).

Roast an entire chicken and use it throughout the week (sandwich, with veggies, chicken salad, on a salad, etc).

Also, plan ahead a day or a week in MFP - it will let you know what to buy at the grocery store as well as making you know that you have all the nutrients you need.

For the gym (or whereever/whatever you do to workout), make a commitment to go at a certain time. Start off with 2 or 3 days a week where you go for 30-60 minutes. And if you can't make that commitment, just by eating right, you'll be helping your body and your overall health.
  • imaburnin
    Options
    I'm a fellow grad student in the thesis nightmare of an MA program. I wholeheartedly agree with the comment above about cooking in bulk; it saves lots of time. Not sure how much reading you suffer through, but it always makes me too tired to write anything substantial - so I exercise! The energy boost from that usually helps me focus better and churn out better work. Because of the insane schedule of a grad student, it's good to have a gym around that's open 24 hours or be in a living situation where you can work out whenever you need to. I work two jobs and have this thesis and classes, so I know how hard this can be. Trust me, if you cheat on the diet and exercise, you will feel like crap, and your writing will not be as good as it could be! Good luck out there!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Working on a masters myself.
    I feel your pain.
  • nickfr21
    nickfr21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I work 8 hours a day, I take night classes, and I have a pregnant wife at home, Ahh! So, basically my life is crazy. For me the easiest thing is to try and work out in the middle of the day to break everything up and clear my mind. I do it after work and before classes. Don't try to do work out at the end of the day. You WILL lose motivation after a long day even if you were actually looking forward to it earlier. Been there done that. Also, if you can afford it, you can still eat at fast food restaurants. You just have to try and pick the healthiest things such as: salads, rice bowls, stir fry, veggies, turkey sandwhiches, etc. Stay away from anything fried, extra side items, soft drinks, and extra sauces (can add over 200+ calories). An item might be 500 calories on the menu, but it'll be over 1000 with all the extras. Basic is better (unless you like spices). Its worked for me.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I bring all of my food with me to school, all the time, and I eat at home. I also work activity into my day. How far do you live from your campus? If you can, walk or bike there, that way you ALWAYS have some activity. Also, definitely make use of the university gym. I know for me, as a graduate student, I get free access. It rocks. I pack my lunch everyday and sometimes I pack dinner too--all of healthy food, and I keep a bag of almonds in my desk for emergency snacking so I don't feel tempted to go to the vending machine or the dining area.

I don't know if you have this flexibility, but I've found what works for me in terms of workouts is to take a break from my work in the middle of the day and go to the gym. It's usually not crowded at ALL, and I get my workout on before lunch and therefore I'm not sitting there being all hungry while 'waiting' for lunch and such.

But I know how hard it is, I feel like being a grad student you move even less than undergrads, barely any classes or they're all in buildings close to your office, at least that's what it is for me. Best of luck, you can do it!
  • imaburnin
    Options
    But I know how hard it is, I feel like being a grad student you move even less than undergrads, barely any classes or they're all in buildings close to your office, at least that's what it is for me.

Definitely true.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am just into the first week of my second semester of grad school, and last semester kicked my butt, and unfortunately it was my fitness and health that suffered the most. When I went into the program I was running for almost an hour a day, and that was just too much for me at that point. I got back on track right after Christmas, but I am determined to keep focused on my goal this semester. The one thing that I have changed was I kind of demanded that when I come home from work each day my husband and kids have to let me hide in the room for 30-40 minutes and either do a video or the treadmill. I also wake up early, 4 am, to read my books, and work on papers. On the weekends I try to get extra fitness in if I can. As far as food goes, I make a huge pot of soup or chlii on sundays, and I use that to take to work for lunches. I also use my crockpot all of the time. I definitely need some encouragement on here if anyone would like to add me because this is all so overwhelming but I keep on thinking I only have 3 more semesters after this one! YAY!
  • lauraejacob
    Options
    Bumping this for the sake of all of us. How is the semester going? Mine's definitely more challenging than last semester, and it's really hard to get my motivation up. I learned our rec center has a fitness class program...you pay once at the beginning of the semester and can go to as many classes as you want. I started this week with a Monday morning yoga class...I'm pretty tired but it was a nice way to kick of a week of good health.

The benefit of classes for me: as grad students, we have to be intrinsically motivated all the time. I run out of that kind of motivation and I don't feel like going to the gym and deciding how long to workout, what incline, what speed, which machines, etc. With classes, the teacher has planned everything out and guides me through the moves. I just have to show up and listen to what they say! Easy! :)

Hope your semesters are starting out all right! Hang in there.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wheee! Grad school. So far this semester is kicking my butt (second semester of my second year in a PhD program), mostly because I have to do a LOT more grading for my teaching assignment this time around (I'm teaching two chemistry lab sections, so lots of grading). However, my teaching is also helping my fitness, as I'm standing for three hours at a time. Just need to work on compensating for that calorie burn (and figuring out how much it should be).

We have TWO rec centers here, but unfortunately the one that's a close walk from my office is closed during the day for classes, so I can't do a lunchtime workout!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I had a tough time with nutrition/fitness during the first year of my grad program, but then I got dumped and it was the best thing for me! Instead of being pulled between spending time on schoolwork and the boyfriend, I could spend time on schoolwork and me. I worked out every day at the gym at the university after classes were done for the day. It was a much need break between hours of class and hours of studying. Plus I was coming from being a full-time waitress/bartender so sitting all day long was driving me insane. I also started putting together easy dinners for myself (instead of going out/getting takeout with the boyfriend) with lots of veggies. I lost a lot of weight during that time.