kind of disgusting, but i need advice

Options
once in a while i have a problem with gallstones and they cause me to throw up everything i've eaten in the last couple hours. i'm not getting my gall bladder removed, i prefer knowing i shouldn't have eaten whatever it was.
but what i want to know is, when this happens, what do i do for tracking food? i ate things, they got rejected. but i've certainly taken in some of the nutrients prior to the bathroom visit. any strong stomachs out there with ideas?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My advice, get your gall bladder removed. Vomiting causes lots of problems if you do it regularly. Use your brain to help learn what you shouldn't eat, not your gag reflex. You can't accurately track your calories if you're vomiting unless you weigh your vomit. Gross.

Even if you have your gall bladder removed, your body still can tell you you ate something "you shouldn't have." Me personally, without my gall bladder, I get urgent bowel evacuation in about 10-30 minutes after eating if I eat too much fat.
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you could track it. I would think I wouldn't count the calories if I threw it up later. That's a tough one.

Sidenote: I will say that once I got to the point of throwing up with gall bladder attacks, it was all down hill for me. Even with eating right and taking the Prilosec my doc gave me, I couldn't keep stuff down. I had to have an emergency removal when a blockage had my billiruben (sp?) levels too high and my kidney/liver started failing. I hope you have better luck managing it than I did. Sorry I'm not much help.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Definitely get the gallbladder out. My husband waited far too long and to make a long story shorter, the gallbladder went gangrenous, caused numerous bile flow issues, he had another surgery, pancreatitis occured. He was in the hospital on a feeding tube for 6 weeks with a 17cm pseudocyst on his pancreas and has had a great deal of pain since, along with over 10 ERCPs. If he would have had the gallbladder removed when he first had problems, so much pain and time spent would have been saved.
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is als something called "oil pull" for your gall stones... A friend of mine used it and passed them all in one night *gross -> when you go to the washroom you buy a strainer to go through so you can see the gall stones to make sure they pass...
    "TREATMENT
    P.Airola in his book How to Get Well has described an 'oil cure' for removal of gallstones, using raw natural unrefined vegetable oils of olive, sunflower or walnut, while Roberts has prescribed a specific dosage of 1 pint of olive oil and the juice of 8 to 9 lemons. The patient is required to take 4 tablespoonfuls of olive oil followed by 1 tablespoonful of lemon juice at 15-minute intervals. This is to be started in the evening after fasting from lunch time, and the gallstones are expected to be passed out within 24 to 48 hours.

This form of treatment has been largely promoted by non-physicians, but a doctor from Canada (Kotkas L.J.) has reported that 95% of cases he saw this treatment used on passed out gallstones.

This treatment is non-invasive, and numerous stones measuring up to 15 mm could be passed out. As the olive oil cure could perhaps prove to be a relatively inexpensive alternative to costly conventional drug treatments, it is suggested that controlled and supervised studies could be considered to explore the safety and efficacy of this mode of treatment for gallstones."

google it if you want and you can find the proper way to do it.. you can't eat other foods while you are doing this..

*obviously this is just an option that you can explore and see how comfortable you are with it. I don't know your medical history so I can't say that you SHOULD do it. Just a thought to share with you
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    if i'm honest, it rarely happens more than once a month now, it used to be as much as once a week before i figured out what the problem was. and it's usually when TOTM is due. i've dug around online and this seems to be kind of common for women but no one could say why...
    if it gets any more regular i'll have to think about getting it taken out but i really don't want to unless it's essential.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    i really don't want to unless it's essential.

It is.

And they do it out-patient and laproscopically now, so like there's nearly 0 recovery time, except you wake up with no pain/problems anymore. The surgeons that perform this surgery do, like 10 of them a day. It's very routine now.

If you're trying to eat right and be healthy, you're sabotaging your results by leaving it in. Not just the vomiting, but it's obviously inflamed and causing your body more problems than it's worth. It's up to you, but I bet EVERYONE that's had it removed would tell you that you're better off without it.
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options

It is.

And they do it out-patient and laproscopically now, so like there's nearly 0 recovery time, except you wake up with no pain/problems anymore. The surgeons that perform this surgery do, like 10 of them a day. It's very routine now.

If you're trying to eat right and be healthy, you're sabotaging your results by leaving it in. Not just the vomiting, but it's obviously inflamed and causing your body more problems than it's worth. It's up to you, but I bet EVERYONE that's had it removed would tell you that you're better off without it.

That's not totally accurate. I had the laproscopic surgery. You don't wake up with no pain/problems anymore. Recovery time varies from person to person but it's not 0. Some people go back to work after 2 or 3 days, but some still need weeks to recover (as I did). While I no longer have problems with vomiting or gall stone pain, I do still occasionally have the same issue I had prior. High fat items will still give you problems after gall bladder removal. Also, things go through your system much faster.

I still say getting it taken out is a better option.

Also, someone else posted about the oil pull. I did this the day before I went to the hospital to have my gall bladder removed. Although the "pull" i did also required you to drink fresh juice from green apples. The oil pull is totally unpleasant. Good luck not throwing it up. However, it completely removed all the stones from my system. The dr's doing my surgery were completely stumped as why they couldn't find a single stone in my system by the time my gall bladder was removed. It prevented me from having to get the stint like procedure where they go through and remove any stones blocking any passageways before the actual surgery.

Read up on your condition and your options before making any decisions about surgery or home remedies.
  • babymaddux
    Options
    i'd read about the oil pull when i first started looking a whether gallstones could be the problem. i almost puked just reading about drinking oil! but i think it's something i might consider trying. the ultrasound told me my gallbladder was full of stones...

as for surgery, coming from the uk, we are generally less likely to jump for surgery as soon as something comes up. doctors there advise seeing how non life threatening conditions progress over time before insisting on surgery. and i'm very much an advocate of that. in the 6 years i know i've had them, i've had problems no more than 25 times. and in the 2.5 years since i got diagnosed, maybe 8 or 10. to me that isn't often enough to remove a part of my body that has a valid use.
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    i had my gall bladder out last march, and thank frig for that, however, the no pain thing is inaccurate, you will definitely feel like someone stabbed you for about a week, and be very stiff.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    i had my gall bladder out last march, and thank frig for that, however, the no pain thing is inaccurate, you will definitely feel like someone stabbed you for about a week, and be very stiff.

But on the upside, you don't have to worry about throwing up because of a low-functioning organ. In the long run, getting it out would be so much more worth it.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My Step mom had hers removed and wishes she hadn't done it. She still gets sick and the surgery left her with a bunch of scar tissue (I guess she grows more than the average person but it is more common than I thought.) She's not happy with the results. My step sister (her daughter) had the same procedure and is just fine so I don't know what I would do in that case. It would likely depend on how much it was impacting my day to day.

I would count at least half the calories you rejected. Also, try to eat smaller, if not also healthier, meals especially during TOM.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Totally not scientific but...
    I googled how long food stays in the stomach. It said 3-4 hours. I would estimate you could get close by dividing your calories by four hours. If the food stays down 1 hour then count 1/4 of the calories and so on. If you want to get really close you could break it down into smaller increments. I know there are many factors but maybe this is a good estimate.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out over a year ago, and its fine, not even an overnight stay in the hospital, some discomfort and what not, it is surgey to remove an organ after all, but I don't ever need to be rushed to hopital and put on morphine because it feels like I am having a heart attack, or throw up or get the stitch pain or any of the other things I used to have, go get the surgery, they won't offer you it unless they think its needed.
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options

It is.

That's not totally accurate. I had the laproscopic surgery. You don't wake up with no pain/problems anymore. Recovery time varies from person to person but it's not 0. Some people go back to work after 2 or 3 days, but some still need weeks to recover (as I did). While I no longer have problems with vomiting or gall stone pain, I do still occasionally have the same issue I had prior. High fat items will still give you problems after gall bladder removal. Also, things go through your system much faster.

I still say getting it taken out is a better option.

Also, someone else posted about the oil pull. I did this the day before I went to the hospital to have my gall bladder removed. Although the "pull" i did also required you to drink fresh juice from green apples. The oil pull is totally unpleasant. Good luck not throwing it up. However, it completely removed all the stones from my system. The dr's doing my surgery were completely stumped as why they couldn't find a single stone in my system by the time my gall bladder was removed. It prevented me from having to get the stint like procedure where they go through and remove any stones blocking any passageways before the actual surgery.

Read up on your condition and your options before making any decisions about surgery or home remedies.

Can you post exactly what you had to do in order to remove the stones naturally?
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Once your gallbladder starts to fail, there isn't much you can do. Rapid weight loss can cause gallstones. You do not want to be rushed in for emergency surgery, as my friend was.

I had mine out last year. It hurt for a couple of weeks, but I have had no problems since.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    There is als something called "oil pull" for your gall stones... A friend of mine used it and passed them all in one night *gross -> when you go to the washroom you buy a strainer to go through so you can see the gall stones to make sure they pass...
    "TREATMENT
    P.Airola in his book How to Get Well has described an 'oil cure' for removal of gallstones, using raw natural unrefined vegetable oils of olive, sunflower or walnut, while Roberts has prescribed a specific dosage of 1 pint of olive oil and the juice of 8 to 9 lemons. The patient is required to take 4 tablespoonfuls of olive oil followed by 1 tablespoonful of lemon juice at 15-minute intervals. This is to be started in the evening after fasting from lunch time, and the gallstones are expected to be passed out within 24 to 48 hours.

This form of treatment has been largely promoted by non-physicians, but a doctor from Canada (Kotkas L.J.) has reported that 95% of cases he saw this treatment used on passed out gallstones.

This treatment is non-invasive, and numerous stones measuring up to 15 mm could be passed out. As the olive oil cure could perhaps prove to be a relatively inexpensive alternative to costly conventional drug treatments, it is suggested that controlled and supervised studies could be considered to explore the safety and efficacy of this mode of treatment for gallstones."

google it if you want and you can find the proper way to do it.. you can't eat other foods while you are doing this..

*obviously this is just an option that you can explore and see how comfortable you are with it. I don't know your medical history so I can't say that you SHOULD do it. Just a thought to share with you

How does one pass gallstones out through the urinary tract? I'm having a hard time buying this story. Kidney stones, yes, as they are IN the tract, but gallstones are not connected in any way to the bladder/kidney, so how do they get into the waste system for passing?

Please fill me in, as I really am curious.
  • babymaddux
    Options
    How does one pass gallstones out through the urinary tract? I'm having a hard time buying this story. Kidney stones, yes, as they are IN the tract, but gallstones are not connected in any way to the bladder/kidney, so how do they get into the waste system for passing?

i think, and don't quote me, that you pass them with your stools. the way i read it, the stones would move into your digestive tract with the bile from your gall bladder to break down the oil and you get rid of them that way. the huge quantity of oil you ingest will have you in the bathroom very quickly...
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "TREATMENT

Please fill me in, as I really am curious.

I do believe they are passed #2 thats why people were using strainers ( i know it's gross)

this is the exact recipe my friend used... it was from my herbology professor

USE UNREFINED OLIVE OIL AND FRESH SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE.
    DO NOT EAT OR DRINK THEY DAY OF CURE, WHEN THIRSTY RINSE OUT YOUR MOUTH AND SPIT OUT.
    DO NOT LIE FLAT, PLACE PILLOWS BEHIND BACK.
    LAY ON RIGHT SIDE FOR ONE HOURE AFTER COMPLETEING THE THE DESIRED AMOUNT OF OIL AND LEMON.
    IF CONSTIPATED OR FEELING SICK, TAKE ENEMA WITH WARM WATER.

add one ounce of olive oil to one ounce of lemon juice. Mix and drink down quickly like shot glass...Repeat every 20 minutes or 30 minutes 11-16 times. Do not rush or force if you are feeling nauseated.
    If vomitting takes place DO NOT REPLACE OIL.
    Check bowel movement for green stones. This will eliminate in 48 hours
    Next day empty bowels or take enema before eating breakfast.
    LINDAN TABLETS take the day after the treatment (get them from naturopath or health food store) it helps decongest the gallbladder.
    take them 3 tablets 15 minutes before each meal(9 tablets/day) for atleast 14 days. sometimes the tablets need repeating for another 14 days..

NO ALCOHOL, SPICY FOODS OR STRENOUS PHYSICAL EXERCISE FOR 3 DAYS FOLLLOWING THE OIL CURE

*edit they also told me it was way easier using a big straw to drink it down

Please note Linden tablets have one interaction = with lithium, if you are taking lithium please exclude the linden from the process
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    get it out. it could rupture or get gangreanous... seriously ugly. I am a nurse and have had people nearly die from ignoring their gallbladder.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    How do you stay upright?! I had gall stones and they did an emergency removal of the gall bladder. I'm sorry but that is just entirely too much pain and you can get severely ill. Get the darned thing removed. Trust me, you WILL still be able to know when you've eaten something you shouldn't have. I get physically ill when I eat things that are heavily greasy or too much bad fats... I also now can't have certain types of Dairy.... FORGET fast food. That is a nightmare.