Protein in one sitting

Options
denezy
denezy Posts: 573 Member
So I just ate 50g of protein for breakfast and it has caused me to wonder what people have heard about the theory that anything more than 30g of protein in one sitting is a waste. Seeing as how there are far more educated and intelligent people around here, I pose this to you - oh brilliant minds of MFP.

Am I just going to poop this all out or do you think it is beneficial to ingest so much at once? Is there a limit of protein one should eat in a single sitting?

Just for argument's sake, I am female, 5'9", 195 lbs, 33 years old, and work out 6 days a week.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The idea that you can only digest 30g/meal and anything beyond that is wasted, is basically gym bro rumor.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The idea that you can only digest 30g/meal and anything beyond that is wasted, is basically gym bro rumor.

Maybe, but I eat my protein standing up just in case.
  • denezy
    Options

Thanks bro. Lots of weird articles out there, just needed confirmation.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    Yeah you can take as much as you want in one sitting, just make sure you've got enough fiber for the day or you'll be ****ting bricks lol
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can take as much as you want in one sitting, just make sure you've got enough fiber for the day or you'll be ****ting bricks lol

^^^ This is Wisdom!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

True this!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 100 g of protein at dinner every day. Seems to work just fine.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also eat over 100g on one sitting (intermittent fasting.) But the body can only absorb so much per hour which varies between individuals. It should be obvious what happens when you consume well beyond your body's tolerance
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It should be obvious what happens when you consume well beyond your body's tolerance

do tell
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    do tell

It goes to waste..

Edit: or more specifically, at a caloric surplus it is possible for some to be stored as fat
  • denezy
    Options
    Hmm... no comments from women....

Any girls?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    do tell

It goes to waste..

Edit: or more specifically, at a caloric surplus it is possible for some to be stored as fat

In a caloric surplus it's much more likely that excess protein gets oxidized which blunts the oxidation of other nutrients and indirectly increases fat storage, rather than protein being stored directly. Same result though, eat too much food and you get fat.

I wouldn't say that big doses of protein "go to waste" though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Any girls?

What the guys said (well the ones that said its all good)

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

ETA: I regularly get over 60g in once sitting.
  • annregina
    Options
    I need help with that myself as I'm going over protein allowance ,what will you have for lunch and dinner if you have no protein allowance left ?:noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I need help with that myself as I'm going over protein allowance ,what will you have for lunch and dinner if you have no protein allowance left ?:noway:

It is fine to go over your protein and in fact, if you are using MFP settings, it is good to go over them.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Any girls?

yep.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have 90+ grams at a time after an intense workout, in the form of whey plus a quart of milk.

Otherwise probably my biggest regular intake is around 60.

The idea that you could create new fat storage by instantaneously consuming too much protein while you're in an overall calorie deficit is ludicrous.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If these elderly women can absorb and retain this much protein per kg x lean body mass, I am sure you can, too.
    Abstract

Background: Adequate protein nutrition could be used to limit gradual body protein loss and improve protein anabolism in the elderly.

Objective: We tested the hypothesis that an uneven protein feeding pattern was more efficient in improving protein anabolism than was an even pattern.

Design: After a controlled period, 15 elderly women (mean age: 68 y) were fed for 14 d either a pulse diet (n = 7), providing 80% of the daily protein intake at 1200, or a spread diet (n = 8), in which the same daily protein intake was spread over 4 meals. Both diets provided 1.7 g protein•kg fat-free mass (FFM)−1•d−1. Protein accretion and daily protein turnover were determined by using the nitrogen balance method and the end product method (ammonia and urea) after an oral dose of [15N]glycine.

Results: Nitrogen balance was more positive with the pulse than with the spread diet (54 ± 7 compared with 27 ± 6 mg N•kg FFM−1•d−1; P < 0.05). Protein turnover rates were also higher with the pulse than with the spread diet (5.58 ± 0.22 compared with 4.98 ± 0.17 g protein•kg FFM−1•d−1; P < 0.05), mainly because of higher protein synthesis in the pulse group (4.48 ± 0.19 g protein•kg FFM−1•d−1) than in the spread group (3.75 ± 0.19 g protein•kg FFM−1•d−1) (P < 0.05).

Conclusion: A protein pulse-feeding pattern was more efficient than was a protein spread-feeding pattern in improving, after 14 d, whole-body protein retention in elderly women.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/6/1202
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    GIMME ALL THE PROTEINZ!

But seriously, I totally agree with SS, Bean, Sara, and anyone else who said, "It's all good."
  • SuzanneKeeneFrancis
    Options
    It shouldn't be a problem if their is adequate fibre in a diet. everyday people like me (ie not bodybuilders) with fibromyalgia don't eat enough protein if they follow the average diet plan. We don't go into the sleep mode where the body does its repairs so we can't restore muscle like other people. I have just started taking a protein isolate which is gluten and lactose free sourced from peas, and while I need to be careful because it could upset my IBS,