Any Starting Exercise Recommendations for 300lb User?

Options
Okay, so I'm not 300lb, but I'm knockin' at the door. I have pretty bad knees and ankles, but doesn't mean I can't walk.. just I wouldn't get into jogging or running. It's been mentioned for me to start walking, and that's fine and dandy, I do it, but I'm wondering if there aren't any easy exercises I can do in the home to start getting me more limber and gives me something to do when I just don't feel like dragging myself out in the bad weather to walk? These could be something to get me started and lead me into more complex exercises later on.

Replies

• BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    start walking, do something

You build into running. Walk 1/4 mile for a week, 1/2 mile for a week, 1 mile. Build progress.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    get out in the cold. Drag yourself if you have to.

couch 2 5k. I mean if your really having issues with running just walk and get a DVD thing you can do in your house.
  • superstar_commish
    Options
    Play some music and dance. It's worked for some people.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic exercise. If the weather is poor, walk inside. If you can get to a pool, swimming or water aerobics are both good, easy on the joints, exercises. Stationary bike. You could explore exercise DVDs that are low impact. Put on some upbeat music and dance.
  • ladywendolyn
    ladywendolyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was a weight watchers leader for years and worked with lots of clients who were 300+ pounds. If you can afford it, an exercise. type heart rate monitor can be a really good aid in terms of exercise. Then you can tell if you are working at the right level without straining yourself. Some of my clients started just by keeping soup cans by the tv and lifting them during commercials. Anything that gets you moving more ( even standing) can help, you can also buy a set of bike pedals that you work with your hands as you sit in a chair...
  • sstacy15
    sstacy15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Wii or Wii fit but, I would go through and play all the games on the Wii fit plus (I think it would take me about an hour). They aren't super hard, they are fun to do and you still feel like your doing something!
  • Sh3aj21
    Sh3aj21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To be str8 up! Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds," would be a great start for you because I'm doing it myself. Right now, I'm walking to " Walk Away the Pounds for Abs," believe me! It really works if you dedicate yourself with your whole heart and your body will reap the benefits if you just believe in yourself....Leslie Sansone is my blessing and I'm going to continue using her workouts....
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would also encourage some resistance training. It doesn't count easily like cardio does, but it is beneficial to help maintain muscle mass which helps burn calories.
  • sjc0183
    Options
    Dancing and walking are my go to's. I also play a lot of wii workout games, you having fun and not even realize you are working out.
  • NeewMee
    NeewMee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started out over 300 lbs and am just barely under now. I walk every day, twice a day while watching netflix or listening to a workout playlist of some upbeat songs. I also do some very basic stretch yoga. I have some medical issues that cause me great pain but I am able to do much more walking and weight lifting after I stretch out for a bit. I do it two times a day too. I accept that I wont be able to do as much as others. I am happy in the knowledge that whatever I do is better than nothing. So far it is paying off. Good luck to you. :)
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was pretty close too, and started off with Wii Fit Plus. Then walking and hiking, step aerobics, The Firm, etc.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had knocked on 300's door, walked in and had shut the door behind me. I had 2 herniated discs and Uncle Arthur Itis has set up camp in my ankles. I walked ( or more honestly, hobbled) as much as I could. I bought an elliptical machine (Sole e35, which was one of the few home machines i found rated above 250 lbs) and did 2 minutes per day ... and thought I would die. I bought some resistance bands (very cheap!) and marched in front of the TV during commercials. As soon as it was warm enough, I started walking and then jogging in the pool.

Have a game system? Dance games like Just Dance are fun and get you moving. Zumba games are great.

Have a DVD player? Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds get you walking without the weather factor. And call me cheesy, but i still like Richard Simmons and his Sweatin' stuff.
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I'm 6'5" and I was just over 350 before thanksgiving, I've got a gym membership and I use the stationary bike. I broke my knee years ago and have minor trouble from time to time because of my weight. I felt self conscious about it, I didn't want the "workout people" to see this fat guy doing low intensity on the bike. So I joined a small 24 hour gym and would go late night, around 3 am. I started with a half hour. I went every day. And started at a level 6 out of 12 on the bike I use. After a week I started adding 5 minutes to the program, every 2 to 3 days. The bike adds a warm up and cool down time in the total time you set at the beginning. Then after I got to 45 minutes I would bump up the resistance (the bike allows you to do this mid program) with 10 minutes left, then the next day I'd bump it up to 7 with 15 minutes left. Then after about a week of that I just started on the harder level (7) and did that until the full 45 minutes seemed "easy" then bump it up again. Now I'm up to level 9, getting ready to go up to 10, and I've added quite a bit of weight training as well. I do the bike 5-6 days a week and lift 3 days a week. On my lifting days I knock the bikes resistance down a level or two depending on how my heart rate is after lifting. I've noticed that it tends to be a bit higher after I lift then use the bike compared to when I just ride the bike.

After the holiday season I'm still under 350 so I'm pretty happy with that, I just joined this site a few days ago and plan to be between 280 and 300 by my birthday in June
  • Shinwasha
    Shinwasha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Even through it doesn't really do much to knock calories off stretch. You said to limber up, the more often you stretch the more limber you will get. Find stretches you feel comfortable with and start with those.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i started walking either outside or on rainy/snowy days i did a leslie sandsone 4-5 mile dvd...its takes baby steps, so start slow and work your way up.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I started out at 360, and I'm currently at 314. I mostly walk, but the weather here is atrocious some days (cold, pouring rain kinda weather). On those days I either use my Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD or jump on the Wii Fit. Anything to keep moving!
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Walk, have dance parties, yoga, zumba, Leslie Sansone's Walk away the lbs vid is great.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely a great place to start. You might also try work out videos like 30 Day Shred. I didn't do level 1 on the 30DS until after my first half marathon, so it was too easy for me, but it struck me as a great beginner's workout, even with modified exercises.

I also recommend yoga. Yoga at any size is excellent for you health.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Youtube do lots of free exercises. I also do the Leslie Sansone walk at home video. You can do as much or as little as you like. There are lots of other free videos from Zumba, walking and aerobics, plenty of these for beginners and all free. Just do a search.
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I did 30 day shred for the first time at around 300lbs. It was hard, and in the beginning I had to modify some of the jumping moves (Jumping jacks, jump rope), but quickly gained strength and by the end of the first 10 days/level 1 (I did them consecutively with 1 rest day a week) was able to finish a circuit with no breaks.