What to do??

Options
My scale goes up and down. Sunday my weight was 124.5 and today it was 126. I change my calories from 1200 to 1100 to see if that makes a diffrence. I am going to see if I can up my workout for the week. Any suggestions??

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    The primary thing you should be concerning yourself with is fixing your expectations and perceptions.

You're tracking water flux and allowing that to rule you emotionally when, in fact, what you're really concerned with is fat flux.

Bottom line: Short term fluctuations on the scale have pretty much nothing to do with fat loss or gain.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Totally normal! Your weight fluctuates a lot throughout a week. That's why people recommend you only weigh in once a week :)

Lots of people know it's going to fluctuate and it doesn't bother them though - so they continue to weigh in every day.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    FWIW- you may want to consider adding one more to your initial goals....weigh yourself once a week.
    In my experience - the numbers will drive you nuts! LOL!:ohwell:
  • Desiderata
    Options
    like said before, weight fluctuates day to day, depending on what youve eaten and how much water retention your body has, SO that 2 lb difference is probably from whats in your digestive track, not whats on your hips.

Also, you will not see a difference if you decide to bring your daily calories under 1200. Your body needs to have at LEAST 1200 just to do its daily functions (heart beating, digestion, breathing, etc) and thats not including you moving around, walking, jogging, etc. So if you ingest anything lower than 1200 calories, your body will go into "starvation mode".

yes yes, YOU know youre not starving, but the huge decrease in calories makes your body think that theres a shortage in food, thus everything you eat, will be stored as fat. just in case. You wont see a weight difference at all, because your body is clinging onto every last calorie.

what you need to do is follow the MFP recommended daily calorie limit, which has a built in deficit already, so youre losing calories anyways. no need to decrease it even more to unhealthy lows.

you should read up on some of the posts by Banks, he knows what hes talking about.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    like said before, weight fluctuates day to day, depending on what youve eaten and how much water retention your body has, SO that 2 lb difference is probably from whats in your digestive track, not whats on your hips.

Also, you will not see a difference if you decide to bring your daily calories under 1200. Your body needs to have at LEAST 1200 just to do its daily functions (heart beating, digestion, breathing, etc) and thats not including you moving around, walking, jogging, etc. So if you ingest anything lower than 1200 calories, your body will go into "starvation mode".

yes yes, YOU know youre not starving, but the huge decrease in calories makes your body think that theres a shortage in food, thus everything you eat, will be stored as fat. just in case. You wont see a weight difference at all, because your body is clinging onto every last calorie.

what you need to do is follow the MFP recommended daily calorie limit, which has a built in deficit already, so youre losing calories anyways. no need to decrease it even more to unhealthy lows.

you should read up on some of the posts by Banks, he knows what hes talking about.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

DITTO
  • msonia11
    msonia11 Posts: 38
    Options
    thanks everyone! I will try to implement some of suggestions, especially the one about not hopping on the scale everyday.