Really need help with protein powders?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: You do not need protein powders if you get your protein from food. They are just to supplement if you are not able to. Assuming you do not have a pre-existing medical condition, aim for 1g or protein per lb of LBM. Timing is really not that important - just get enough during the day, although if you do fasted training in the morning, it is not a bad idea to get some protein within a reasonable period of your workout.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was using protein powder when I first started out and wanted to boost my calories and protein. I'm doing much better with my intakes now and I'm so glad. The cost of protein powder is so way overpriced compared to just doing some baking with say, pumpkin seeds.

Google high protein recipes or bars and you will find loads. Making your own is much better AND healthier because it will be more natural and you won't be consuming unpronounceable chemicals. And you'll save money.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If excessive protein intake is SO bad for you wouldn't Kidney and Liver problems be a bit more prominent in the bodybuilding scene?

Those guys eat way more 1 g/ pound of LBM.
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For females try and stick with whey isolate protein powders. bodybuilding.com has some great advice as to what to look for, men and women. They also have an online store if you arent close to a gnc. Good Luck! :]
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Cycling whey protein as if it's a steroid? 1g per pound of lbm makes you bulky? Human body can't suggest egg whites?

What the hell is going on in this thread? So much misinformation in here. Thankfully smart people are beating down these ridiculous claims.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the protein powder journey.

What exactly is a 'protein powder journey'? This thread is making my head spin!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Cycling whey protein as if it's a steroid? 1g per pound of lbm makes you bulky? Human body can't suggest egg whites?

What the hell is going on in this thread? So much misinformation in here. Thankfully smart people are beating down these ridiculous claims.

One time my friends dog got into my friends protein powder.

Immediately the dog gained 10 pounds of muscle and then bit the mail man.

True story.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    you don't need that .8 - 1g per lb. Thats just outrageous. I gain lean muscle mass with just 0.4 - 0.5g per lb. the old numbers have been said so much that most ppl believe it to be fact now - sadly trainers are the biggest culprit.

As far as powders go- I really dislike whey, however if you must use whey, you should cycle it (just as you would cycle greens).

I use a mix of hemp, pea, cranberry, and soy protein.
    Plenty of peer-reviewed studies state that higher protein intakes are optimal. Links to them in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Also, I've never heard of needing to "cycle" whey protein. It's simply a dairy-based protein source, why would there be a need to cycle it? I'm guessing from your choice of proteins (all with much lower bioavailability than whey), you're possibly approaching this whole protein topic with a vegan bias?

Ok...

I'll start with the cycling. A number of sites claim that you should cycle or mix up your proteins. Makes sense - you do that with the foods you eat, why go for the exact same powder daily? I'll provide a bodybuilding link- but a quick google search shows it's not an uncommon theory. Some people take 3-4 shakes a day - take some of other powders b/c it may have something the other is missing!

I have never heard of cycling whey protein powder - could you please provide a link where it is discussed. I did google it and everything I saw said you did not need to cycle whey.

Edited to take out the egg discussion as that has been discussed.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

Your comment saying it refutes it is half true. Ok, there is some absorption, but come on... lol.

Would you rather have 91% absorption or 51% absorption?

I think we can agree if you want the protein of 6 eggs, it's a waste to use 12 to get it when you can get the protein of 6 eggs by simply cooking them.

If you prefer the liquid method - get liquid egg whites which have a higher absorption rate than raw egg whites!
    A lot of the nutrition from the yolks is lost from cooking. And raw eggs taste fantastic in protein shakes. I have them ever day and love it! Sometimes I shoot eggs with hot sauce… Tabasco or Louisiana!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the protein powder journey.

What exactly is a 'protein powder journey'? This thread is making my head spin!

That was a rather pretentious way for me to say it, lol, sorry. Something like 20 flavors in a month. Most of which are super gross.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    .... *sigh*

First of all, regardless of the raw egg thing (which has been plenty shot down) I said my protein powder had egg in it. That's FAIRLY different from cracking an egg into a shake. Way to reading comprehension bro.

Second of all, I specifically and CLEARLY stated 'while dieting' and 'to prevent muscle loss' for that protein requirement. Someone not eating a deficit doesn't have to worry about muscle loss as much and therefore doesn't need the extra protein (but it also won't hurt them and muscle synthesis requires SOME protein although not many studies exist that study hard core muscle building populations)

....never mind, I just looked at jjrichards profile. I'm just going to....stop talking to him.

OP - sorry your thread got derailed, but you'll notice almost all of us said the same thing. You may not NEED any protein powder at all, but if you decide to go that route just go to a big nutrition store and ask what they sell in sample sizes to try.
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I drink GNC 100% Whey every morning for breakfast. Chocolate Deluxe flavor.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    OP: You do not need protein powders if you get your protein from food. They are just to supplement if you are not able to. Assuming you do not have a pre-existing medical condition, aim for 1g or protein per lb of LBM. Timing is really not that important - just get enough during the day, although if you do fasted training in the morning, it is not a bad idea to get some protein within a reasonable period of your workout.

Timing is fairly important for best absorption. Why do you think trainers, nutritionists, and high performance athletes consume proteins after workout? 3:1 carb protein apparently is a good thing after workouts.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The best protein powder I have used is a relatively new one I think...Promasil...I get it at GNC. I like the soft serve vanilla flavour...I mix it with low fat milk and frozen strawberries using my Magic Bullet. It makes a fantastic strawberry shake. Delicious.

Promasil is carb and suger free and has only 90 calories per scoop.
  • ReinventingMolly
    ReinventingMolly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use GNC's wheybolic chocolate protein powder!! :)
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    There seems to be a few ignorant ppl on this thread... Claiming "ridiculous" with such bias on a topic that is and never will be definitive.

The egg whites "thing" was not shot down. Your body can't digest those proteins as effectively - almost 50% LESS effectively. Getting the protein value of 6 eggs would require 12 to do so in that method.

The guy who said all this misinformation - why don't you read instead of just skim over everything and then add your two cents in?

There is plenty of debate on the topic of protein - how much is needed, when to take it, which ones are "complete" cycling, etc. None of us are going to come to any real conclusion to this topic. The great thing about the internet is all the info is right at our fingertips. The bad thing - anyone can write the info and edit it. Much of the stuff we learned 20 years ago has been proven wrong - x amount of sets, reps (also a topic we can not fully agree on).

It seems that everyones opinion is "fact" to them (myself included at times). The best we can do is not go searching for info to support our opinions (why would we do that? We already think it anyway!). We should instead - look for info to dispute our opinions and try to see topics from all sides instead of being just plain ignorant.

As for the cycling - search around and you'll see... - so why should your powders be any different? Not just with proteins, but with a lot of foods, if you eat the same things over and over you can start to lack the enzymes needed to effectively break down other foods and need a re-introduction period before you cans tart eating them normally again. This also has been shown to be an affective way to avoid developing intolerances and/or mild allergies to your regular protein source. It's the same in humans as it is in dogs. Changing their food every now and then is best too. Googling "protein cycling" may not give you the results and thinking it's proving your points - dig deeper.

I was not afraid to be proven wrong (we were both 1/2 wrong) and none of you should either. if you knew it all you wouldn't be on a chat site trying to learn more info and arguing with the mass ignorance that runs wild here.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    And why in the world would any of you train or eat like a bodybuilder unless you're taking steroids? They can do anything minor and still gain muscle - not a good example for the average person.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Timing is fairly important for best absorption. Why do you think trainers, nutritionists, and high performance athletes consume proteins after workout? 3:1 carb protein apparently is a good thing after workouts.

Because there is a lot of broscience out there. The studies that look at post workout benefits only look at a small picture and also are based on fasted and/or endurance training - which is why I mention that if you train fasted then it is a good idea to eat something relatively soon after training.

If you are training in a fed state, there is no need to rush and get your post workout shake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    And why in the world would any of you train or eat like a bodybuilder unless you're taking steroids? They can do anything minor and still gain muscle - not a good example for the average person.

You really do not understand bodybuilders or steroids.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    There seems to be a few ignorant ppl on this thread... Claiming "ridiculous" with such bias on a topic that is and never will be definitive.

The egg whites "thing" was not shot down. Your body can't digest those proteins as effectively - almost 50% LESS effectively. Getting the protein value of 6 eggs would require 12 to do so in that method.

The guy who said all this misinformation - why don't you read instead of just skim over everything and then add your two cents in?

There is plenty of debate on the topic of protein - how much is needed, when to take it, which ones are "complete" cycling, etc. None of us are going to come to any real conclusion to this topic. The great thing about the internet is all the info is right at our fingertips. The bad thing - anyone can write the info and edit it. Much of the stuff we learned 20 years ago has been proven wrong - x amount of sets, reps (also a topic we can not fully agree on).

It seems that everyones opinion is "fact" to them (myself included at times). The best we can do is not go searching for info to support our opinions (why would we do that? We already think it anyway!). We should instead - look for info to dispute our opinions and try to see topics from all sides instead of being just plain ignorant.

As for the cycling - search around and you'll see... - so why should your powders be any different? Not just with proteins, but with a lot of foods, if you eat the same things over and over you can start to lack the enzymes needed to effectively break down other foods and need a re-introduction period before you cans tart eating them normally again. This also has been shown to be an affective way to avoid developing intolerances and/or mild allergies to your regular protein source. It's the same in humans as it is in dogs. Changing their food every now and then is best too. Googling "protein cycling" may not give you the results and thinking it's proving your points - dig deeper.

I was not afraid to be proven wrong (we were both 1/2 wrong) and none of you should either. if you knew it all you wouldn't be on a chat site trying to learn more info and arguing with the mass ignorance that runs wild here.

I did search around as I said and did not see anything with regard to whey protein. Again I ask, please could you direct me to where you saw it as I cannot find anything.