Motivation

Options
I lack the motivation to exercise. I pay a monthly fee to a gym but never go. I have more than enough time, just no motivation. When I did go, I enjoyed the treadmill. I've been about 3 maybe 4 times. The gym is not very far, I can easily drive there and there is plenty of free parking. I know my weight would just start to fall off if I went to the gym more. Any suggestions for helping me get motivated?

Replies

• vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    check out the App Gympact - you get paid to go or have to pay for not going.
  • richardthimbleby
    Options
    Find someone to go with, having a partner keeps you motivated and means you cant let each other down by skipping sessions, do this for long enough, and you will become used to going to the gym, and it will become part of your daily routine and start to enjoy it.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    if you don't have something you really enjoy, it is hard to find the motivation. does your gym offer classes? try a new one each week, maybe you will find a new favorite! my main motivation is I love zumba, I am not the most coordinated person so I wasn't sure about it at first, but it isn't about being perfect, it's about moving to get fit....and no-one cares if I mess up, cuz they all do too!
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Find something that you will enjoy. For example dancing, running. I dont like to go to the gym, I prefer way more excersising outside.
  • siomonwitt
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Regular exercise is a critical part of staying healthy. People who are active live longer and feel better. Exercise can help you maintain a healthy weight. It can delay or prevent diabetes, some cancers and heart problems.

Most adults need at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity at least five days per week. Examples include walking briskly, mowing the lawn, dancing, swimming for recreation or bicycling. Stretching and weight training can also strengthen your body and improve your fitness level.

Thanks and Take care
  • sfields52
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness. Being out of work this is the only gym I can afford right now. :ohwell:
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Never quite seen a post like this. My advice it to just go...consistency breeds habit. But if the gym scene is not for you, there are plenty of things you can implement at home. Look into those to see if that's a better fit.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. Just Go. Before you know it it will be a habit. Check out all the things the gym has to offer. Try a few. Be friendly at the gym, you will get to know a few people there and feel more comfotable. When the weather gets better get outside and just walk.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Best way if you don't have a workout buddy, start going every once in a while and work it into you schedule and then routine. Then it will just become a daily habit to go to the gym.

Maybe even try bringing music with you to help motivate you when working out especially for running. A good beat can keep you pumped.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is an odd post, but i admire it's honesty.

My advice: quit waiting for motivation to magically descend from the heavens. Motivation is for suckers. There are so many days that i have zero motivation, yet i have missed exactly one workout in a year's time. That's because i committed to getting exercise, made a plan, and stuck with that plan.

Make a plan and commit to it. Motivation comes and goes. Don't be a slave to motivation. Just go work out