Girl Scout cookies...

Options
Who else here loves girl scout cookies? Why do they sell them after New Year's when everybody is trying to commit, or re-commit, to a healthy diet and weight loss? :( This will be the first year I didnt buy any, and I love em all. I know 3 people that are sellling them and had to turn them all down. If anybody here is in the same boat, just say NO!

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I just ordered 2 boxes ( instead of the usual 4) and when they come in i decided i am going to open them at work , have a few and pass the rest around at work. So i still support the cause and share the calories lol
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Its a shame, its a good cause, and I want my Daughter to be in the girl scouts when she is old enough, but sorry, not at the expemse of my health, I cant eat the cookies. Maybe next year, I will buy a box in celebration of losing 100 pounds
  • Kynzmomma09
    Kynzmomma09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    for me, i said no twice now.. i feel bad not supporting my friends' daughters, because once my daughter is old enough i plan to have her in girl scouts. but for now, im trying to stay focused. Me+Girl scout cookies=me gaining my weight back lol. once i reach my goal, i too will buy one box next year, to keep for a snack here and there. but for now, i know i would cave and id eat the whole yummy box in 2 days lol
  • mrsjta11
    mrsjta11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My girl is a scout selling cookies, but from what I can see, they don't make much from their sales. Donations go straight to the troop however. Just saying.....
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I bought them. I give myself a maximum of 2 per day when I want some. I don't need to eat the whole box but I don't deprive myself of the frozen sweet samoas either.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you want to support the Girl Scouts but not eat the cookies, why not donate them? In my area, we have lots of places that would love them:
    1. workers at a crisis hotline
    2. David's House - like a Ronald McDonald house for a local hospital
    3. Children's unit at a hospital - many have kitchens for parents to use and accept food donations
    4. nursing homes
    5. senior citizen recreation centers
    6. food pantry

You'll be supporting multiple causes, this way!
  • ChubbyMcFatpants
    ChubbyMcFatpants Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I bought two boxes this year, following my normal policy of getting two from everyone who asks me. It's probably lucky that I don't know as many Girl Scout parents now that I've relocated.

One box is for me, to stick in the back of the freezer and snack on as treats when I have the extra calories. The other one I gift wrap and send to a friend.

Maybe you could buy the cookies, then ask the seller to deliver them to a food pantry or shelter or something. The Girl Scouts are an important organization and from everything I've heard, the cookie sales mostly fund individual troops, so if you can find a way to support them, please do!

Or I guess you could just skip the cookies and write a check... I don't see that there's any reason your daughter couldn't still be a scout.
  • Pattimomof6
    Options
    Can you say yes and use restraint to eat only a few at a time? I only buy thin mints and that's my treat. But if you have to say no to not be tempted then just say no.
  • DanaCait
    DanaCait Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On the bright side at least you're saving money by not paying $4 for a box of cookies (I know, I know, it goes to a good cause!)?
  • compumomma
    compumomma Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not all councils sell right after New Years. There are some that sell in the fall. You can still give to the scouts and not take cookies. We have a donation program. Any boxes bought and donated will go to our local soup kitchen and a women's shelter. You could also just give money as that stays with the troop 100%. I am a leader and a mom and figure I can get the shortbread cookies and have them as a treat every once in a while. Just with everything else about losing weight it is all about moderation.
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have to admit! My daughter is a girl scout and selling after the first of the year is tough for them because of all the ppl wanting to loose weight..... So even if you dont want to eat them, you can still buy them to support the cause. Give them to a friend, save them as a treat, ( freeze them and only get out a couple at a time)! But if you cant buy because you are too tempted. We understand....
  • skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just bought one box (instead of the usual 4) and am going to give them to my father!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I just bought 5 boxes. That's because my daughter is selling them and I'm trying to get them sold! Ha! :) But, I only have 1 a day, and my husband has 1 or 2 and the kids have a couple. I'm not too worried about it. I like those cookies. :) Though, I do kind of wish they would think of something healthier to sell.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My boss at my old job sold them at work for her daughters (so obviously I had to buy some) but there was an option that you could buy them and have them sent to a local food bank. Guilt free and good deed done for the day!
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ordered 3 boxes.....I am going to freeze my thin mints and when I reach my goal, take them out and have a bowl of ice cream with them...haha, no not really....no more "reward foods"....I think if I want one I will eat it and if not..then I won't ....:) Happy to support the GS and can give the extra boxes away to someone that would enjoy them:)
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    :devil: <
    they are evil good little basta*ds.... YUMMY DO NOT BUY THEM HAHAHAHA
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I buy them and give them away, bcuz the temptation is 2 much for me to have in the house.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    One box of cookies, included into a healthy diet, will not ruin anyone's health...
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    If you want to support the Girl Scouts but not eat the cookies, why not donate them? In my area, we have lots of places that would love them:
    1. workers at a crisis hotline
    2. David's House - like a Ronald McDonald house for a local hospital
    3. Children's unit at a hospital - many have kitchens for parents to use and accept food donations
    4. nursing homes
    5. senior citizen recreation centers
    6. food pantry

You'll be supporting multiple causes, this way!

In addition to these terrific ideas there is also an option to send them to troops in the armed forces both stateside and overseas.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The good news is that the box is getting so small that they now only contain two cookies