Turning to comfort foods

Options
When will I learn NOT to turn to food for comfort? I can't seem to break that vicious cycle.

Replies

• poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It's a vicious cycle to break Donna... I'm still learning.
    I know it can be harder too when you have other people in the house; right now it's just me so it's easier to keep any trigger/comfort foods out of the house but when hannah comes to visit I still have the urge to eat some of those comfort foods even if it means going to the store to get them (I usually just go to bed so I won't go)
    It sounds corny and cliche but maybe when you're having a moment, go do something to keep your mind occupied and since I know you quilt... GO QUILTING!
  • karakreature
    karakreature Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We all have those moments. Don't dwell on them and fight the urge as much as possible. Try to ask yourself why you're eating something you shouldn't and when you get the answer, do something else to distract you. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up to bad. We are all human. Good luck!
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That is one of the hardest things for me as well. Over the last year I've started finding new ways to make comfort foods that are better for me. Things that are rich, creamy and sweet have always been something of comfort for me, lately I have found something that hits the spot and isn't completely horrible for me, baked sweet potatoes whipped together with vanilla yogurt and PB2. Pasta is another one that I've slowly replaced with either spaghetti squash, spiraled zucchini or shirtaki noodles. Pizza was and still is a big one for me, Ive started ordering it with half the cheese or no cheese and veggies, or I make my own at home.

What are some of your favorite comfort foods? Maybe everyone here can help with some idea to make them a bit healthier
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I've turned to food for comfort more times than I can count. It's very hard to break this cycle. Right now I'm using gum as my comfort food. Works so far.