Am I crazy? MFP & stopping smoking?

Options

Replies

• MBNagel74
    MBNagel74 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking November 11, 2012 and began MFP a month later... Not easy to do both at the exact same time, but I give you credit!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am on electronic cigarettes, they give me my nicotine fix and keep me off cigarettes (2 years now). They help me so I thought I would post it. MFP has changed my life, completely, I have never been so motivated to lose weight with my new friends, its brilliant. Stay with us and good luck
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Crazy? It's just about the most sane thing you can do! I gave up smoking in 2007 and replaced *kitten* with snacks so piled on weight, but replace them with exercise and you will lose weight AND get fit - it's a win win situation! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So...could you focus on stop smoking...and track your food too? I'm not saying "lose weight"...just start tracking WHAT you eat, and get used to tracking.

My entire problem was that I had no clue how many calories I was consuming on a daily basis. I look at the old data now and just shake my head, "WOW".

Just do it my friend, just do it.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Not crazy at all, I've "quit" at least 4 times while I've been here :smokin:
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking as a 50th birthday present to myself (12 years ago) Here is something that I discovered.

Without knowing it, I headed to the refrigerator. My body was trying to get me to eat something because it knew that I would smoke after. It was like my body was possessing me. As soon as I recognized what was happening, I put a note on my refrigerator that asked me if I was hungry or was my body just pushing me around. That helped a lot. (I know that it was more psychological than physical - but I framed it in a context that helped me remember who I was doing it for)

(Unfortunately, in a time of GREAT stress 2 years ago, I started up again. What a mistake. Now I have to go through it all over again. May I friend you so that I can see how you are doing and learn what I can about doing it again?
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can do it!:smile:
  • jo0213
    jo0213 Posts: 7
    Options
    Where can you find a computer safe quit meter?
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    I'm 50 yrs old and smoked a pack a day. I quit smoking and started working out at the same time. That was 7 months ago. Not only did I start working out at a gym. I now manage it. Quiting and working out is with out a doubt doable. Good Luck...you can friend me if ya like.
  • irenematilda
    irenematilda Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. If I'm honest, I've spent at least eighteen months debating with myself whether to tackle the weight problem or the smoking. In the end, the 'can't go on like this' feeling culminated at the beginning of the year in a decision to tackle the weight while I was deciding :) If I'd done this eighteen months ago, I'd just be looking at tackling the smoking now. *Sigh...

My current favourite saying is 'Don't find an excuse, find a way'. When I first started tracking my food and movement (I made the decision about thirty seconds after I found MFP - I LOVE this place :) ), I was keeping half an eye on my cigarette count too and I'd often ask myself if I really needed to light up there and then, and there were plenty of times when I could just let the feeling pass and indulge twenty or thirty minutes later instead. My cigarette count went right down - there was one day when I'd only smoked 12, which is half my usual 20-25 a day.

However, there were one or two 'events' coming up in the week that's just gone, and so I gave myself permission to let the smoking thing ride. It was only this morning that I'd realised the obvious - I'd found an excuse instead of a way. The events in question have come and gone, and would have come and gone just the same way if I'd been smoking a bit less. I'm now trying to be a bit more 'mentally present' whenever I reach for my baccy tin :)

I suppose what I'm saying is that if you're not ready to quit totally yet either (and I don't think you'd be asking the question if you were), there's no reason why you can't make small, steady, painless changes in how often you smoke - even if that only means deciding not to light up for another five minutes - while making tackling the weight your priority. Then, when you do come to address the smoking problem it should be a significantly smaller one and your newly-trim self is likely to be more energetic and feeling much more motivated to do something about it.

That's the approach I'm taking to it, anyway. The weight loss goal is a priority and set in stone here now, but as far as the smoking (and a zillion lesser bad habits!) go, I shall keep asking myself if I've found an excuse or a genuine reason. If it turns out to be an excuse, then I'll just have to find a way. Good luck with whatever your strategy turns out to be :)
  • tarzangroupie
    Options
    I quite July of 2010. I did gain weight, because to keep my hands busy, I started cooking, cooking, cooking (chopping and sauteeing were so soothing!). So I would advise you find some other outlet to keep you physically busy while you are quitting and watching your calories. You can do it! and even if you put on a few lbs as a result, quitting smoking is worth it! Be prepared for crazy dreams ;). I can't tell you how many dreams I had where the "dream me" could smoke, no problem. It's like your brain tries to convince you to smoke again. It's a crazy thing
  • tonybilbie
    Options
    i am doing the same in respect of stopping smoking as i don't want to balloon. Stick with it !!!
  • fanny1981
    Options
    Do it!!
    I did. I used the patches as they curb the cravings and stop the 'empty' feeling you get straight away from lack of nicotine. I exercised more (one of the many benefits of not chuffing on a cigarrette was that I could breath again!) and if you're looking for on-hand incentives, the QuitNow app helped me as it reminds you of all the benefits of not smoking and on my phone it was with me constantly.
    I'm now helping my mum do the same.
    Good Luck!!! :-)
  • vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No you are not crazy. I quit 10 years ago and didn't have the support of these great people on MFP. Everyone here will help and support you every day. Go for it. You will feel soooo much better.
  • BBme425
    BBme425 Posts: 19
    Options
    Good for you!!! I quit smoking Nov 1 !!! I must admit I am using Unique Cigs now.. but I feel so much better... My goal is 100 pounds. We can do it. I am really out of shape so I am using my new Xbox Kinnect and loving it!! The games are fun and yet a work out too...
    My first goal is 24 pounds in 12 weeks :) We are having a little competition at work... It helps. I have found everyone on here is so supportive and helpful... Good Luck... We can do this :-)
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I quite 7 years ago and will never take another puff. Please go out and take a look at quitnet.com, i kept with the free portion and whyquit.com. You can learn all about what happens when you quit and be prepared. Have a plan for what you may want to snack on. I used pretzels. You can do it and you will feel all the better for it. Message me or add me if you like.
  • MissACC
    MissACC Posts: 11
    Options
    I quit smoking in October, which was the same time I started getting serious about my lifestyle change. For me, it was easy to do at the same time. I did NOT gain any weight as a result of quitting. I know not everybody is the same, so if it is too much to stop smoking and start eating better/exercising, make sure you don't sabotage both goals by overdoing it.

I would at least try to accomplish both of your goals at the same time, just to see what happens. You must keep telling yourself that you can achieve both goals. It is all in your head!! Good luck!!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I decided to do both at the same time. It's been a struggle but I'm doing well. I think you can do it if you set your mind to it :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I'm not technologically-gifted, so bear with me! I just downloaded My Fitness Pal to my smartphone & will start using it tomorrow to help me reach my goal of losing 42 lbs.! I'm excited & think the accountability will be a good thing! I also want to stop smoking. I smoke about ten cigarettes a day. I'm really tired of feeling unhealthy, but maybe trying to do both of those things at once isn't a good idea. Any thoughts? Best wishes to all!

A friend of mine exercised each time she wanted a butt, and lost instead of gained while quitting. What better time then when you are shaking things up!?!

She has a treadmill but even a staircase in your home, or walking in place can do the trick!

I wish you all the luck and sticktoittiveness in the world:flowerforyou:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    One will lead to the other. Once you start eating right and exercising, smoking will begin to lose it's appeal. You should also download a smoking cessation app, so that you have that to help track your quitting progress.