fell off the wagon =/

Options
I hope I'm not the only one! I've been staying at my parent's house since Thursday and we have relatives from S. Carolina visiting and I completely destroyed my good eating plan yesterday. We had a pasta dinner, I went out with the girls for drinks and nachos, and my brother who is a baker made homemade Italian bread that I couldn't resist trying. So lots of carbs and alcohol. =( All week when I'm on my own I do really great eating well and I feel guilty today about the bad choices yesterday. I think I need some motivation to stop beating myself up and start over because there is more bread left and I want some!

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    1) Saying "fell off the wagon" isn't always helpful. It can cause guilt, which leads to more eating, which leads to more guilt, which leads to - you get the picture. You weren't a glutton, you just acted like a normal person (i.e - someone who doesn't count calories.) That doesn't make you a failure - that makes you a person.

2) Motivation comes and goes. It's fickle and not always a good thing to rely on. Patience and self-love gets us through those rough patches.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    1) Saying "fell off the wagon" isn't always helpful. It can cause guilt, which leads to more eating, which leads to more guilt, which leads to - you get the picture. You weren't a glutton, you just acted like a normal person (i.e - someone who doesn't count calories.) That doesn't make you a failure - that makes you a person.

2) Motivation comes and goes. It's fickle and not always a good thing to rely on. Patience and self-love gets us through those rough patches.
    ^ Totally agree.

I would try to look at it less as being "on the wagon" - a phrase which seems to be weighed down by the inevitability of falling off it - and more like a series of small, incremental changes that will eventually get you where you want to be. If you want bread, have bread! You have options - you eat just enough that fits into your calorie goal, you can exercise more to make more room for it, you can eat a little over your calorie goal (but still under your maintenance number), or you can eat way over and accept that for today, that's how it is. Or, you could resist temptation this time, and tell yourself that what you've already had of this delicious bread is enough. None of these options is wrong.

There is delicious bread in the world. You shouldn't eat all of it, but it's ok to eat some of it. Finding the line in between that helps you stay true to your goals, and how you want to live, is tricky. It just takes a bit of practise though, and you'll get there. Even quicker when you stop beating yourself up. :flowerforyou:
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't use those terms. However, there is no reason why you can't enjoy those things you must eat them in moderation.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! that advice is great! I did make sure to work out that morning and I did my best to not eat huge amounts of everything delicious around me. I'll try to stay more positive for now on!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! that advice is great! I did make sure to work out that morning and I did my best to not eat huge amounts of everything delicious around me. I'll try to stay more positive for now on!

no one day is going to make or break you. it doesn't work like that. you could have eaten 4000 calories yesterday and it still would have only a minimal effect on your overall progress, so long as you don't do it every day.
  • RevNimue
    RevNimue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone 100%! If you use the term "Fell off the wagon" then just get up dust yourself off, smack the driver up side the head and get back on. There's no need to get upset for one day of not following you new habits, keep sticking with it and this week will just be another learning experience that you can learn from. The good thing is that you recognize these old habits. There are hundreds and thousands of people who don't realize what they are doing because they're learned to ignore them. Keep at it and you will reach your personal goal in no time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1. There is no wagon
    2. Nothing you had was "unhealthy" (except maybe the alcohol, depending on how much)
    3. One splurge on calories due to a special event will not hurt anyone
  • neen6270
    neen6270 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    drink extra water to flush out food from yesterday too. I try to have water when having beer as well.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    I had the flu AND my period in the last two weeks and have really had to watch my eating. Talk about difficult.
    There were only a couple days this week that I ate way over my calories, I'm talking about 1,000+. I told myself it was ok for a couple days only due to my body feeling weak and needing more fuel. I gained 1lb but its been 2 days since I've been back to eating right and I've already lost that 1lb.

Who cares if you mess up for a couple days or a week, just get back to it asap when you can and try to move around and stay active if you overeat. In the grand scheme of things, this should be your life you are changing and getting healthy, not just a DIET.
  • KRobertson36
    KRobertson36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There are days in which I completely blow past the cal limit. I use MFP to simply hold me accountable for what I am eating. IF I generally keep to those limits 1 bad meal or even a bad day shouldn't mean you "Fell off the wagon." For my family food is a huge part of any family gathering and I know when I go to a family gathering I'm more than likely going to sail on by that daily limit. I do know however I keep to that limit every other day and that is what is important is the daily not the exception.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Did falling hurt? I can only imagine falling off a wagon hurts... unless its a little red radio flyer those aren't that far from the ground so I assume that wouldn't hurt too bad. Unless you fell on a rock or hit your head, than that would hurt.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    <stretches out hand to help you back up>