Frustrated already

Options
Hi all, tomorrow is my third weigh in. The first week I went from 153 to 145, and the second week I was up to 148.8. I weigh-in tomorrow, so I stepped on the scale this morning since I figured nothing miraculous would happen overnight. I weigh 148.2. Are you kidding me??

Yesterday was my first cheat meal since I started this whole thing three weeks ago, and the food was horrible, so I don't think I went way over. And, I made the decidion to have a cheat meal because yesterday morning I was down one pound, which was greatly annoying, and I was basically pouting. Then, this morning 148.2??????? :explode:

I've been eating within the 1200 calorie range and working out 4-5 times per week. I've gone over by a hundred or so calories a couple orf times, but other than that I've been between 900ish. I just calculated my calories needed to lose weight using the Harris-Benedict equation. It said I need 1421. Should I try this for a while?

Beth

ETA: This really makes me want to eat a donut for breakfast.

SW: 153
CW: 148.2
GW: 110

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on the scale. One meal high in sodium (like most cheat meals are) can cause a temporary spike on the scale due to water retention. Think of it this way: you've lost 5 pounds total in three weeks. That's pretty good since you don't have that much to lose. The scale fluctuates - it's normal, so just keep on with the plan.

Also, 1200 cals is too low if you're working out regularly, and 900 is certainly too low. Work out your BMR (sounds like you already did that and it's around 1400), work out your TDEE, and eat between the two. Check out the popular thread here called In Place of a Road Map - it'll walk you through setting up a plan that works.

Good luck!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on the scale. One meal high in sodium (like most cheat meals are) can cause a temporary spike on the scale due to water retention. Think of it this way: you've lost 5 pounds total in three weeks. That's pretty good since you don't have that much to lose. The scale fluctuates - it's normal, so just keep on with the plan.

Also, 1200 cals is too low if you're working out regularly, and 900 is certainly too low. Work out your BMR (sounds like you already did that and it's around 1400), work out your TDEE, and eat between the two. Check out the popular thread here called In Place of a Road Map - it'll walk you through setting up a plan that works.

Good luck!

^^^^^^^^Agree

Weight loss is not linear. You might lose weight one week and not the other. Focus on long term weight loss and overall health.
  • helengohlke
    helengohlke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Same happens to me. Check your measurements.
  • mbellypdx
    Options
    You're doing fine so back away from the doughnut. :wink: It's natural that you're going to fluctuate and yours seems reasonable. You definitely need more than 900cal, and probably closer to 1200 if you're at all active. If you change anything, maybe try increasing your physical activity a bit but make sure you have enough fuel to keep your engine running. I make my worst food choices when I crash after a workout; my body wants anything I can put in it and since I just worked out, it's really easy for me to justify eating whatever I want. Not the best way to make the changes I want.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Well said by everyone. You are doing fine. Hang in there
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is not what you want to hear and maybe I'm just tired this morning, but you've lost 5 plus pounds in just 3 weeks, so WHAT'S THE PROBLEM EXACTLY?

I've been at this for over 3 months and as you can see below, I've lost and gained the same 6 pounds. Bodies are stubborn and weight loss takes time. Is it frustrating? YES! If it were easy we'd all look like Megan Fox or Hallle Berry.

Just keep at it!
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi all, tomorrow is my third weigh in. The first week I went from 153 to 145, and the second week I was up to 148.8. I weigh-in tomorrow, so I stepped on the scale this morning since I figured nothing miraculous would happen overnight. I weigh 148.2. Are you kidding me??

Yesterday was my first cheat meal since I started this whole thing three weeks ago, and the food was horrible, so I don't think I went way over. And, I made the decidion to have a cheat meal because yesterday morning I was down one pound, which was greatly annoying, and I was basically pouting. Then, this morning 148.2??????? :explode:

I've been eating within the 1200 calorie range and working out 4-5 times per week. I've gone over by a hundred or so calories a couple orf times, but other than that I've been between 900ish. I just calculated my calories needed to lose weight using the Harris-Benedict equation. It said I need 1421. Should I try this for a while?

Beth

ETA: This really makes me want to eat a donut for breakfast.

SW: 153
    CW: 148.2
    GW: 110
    You don't eat enough.
  • Bella20102010
    Bella20102010 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is not what you want to hear and maybe I'm just tired this morning, but you've lost 5 plus pounds in just 3 weeks, so WHAT'S THE PROBLEM EXACTLY?

I've been at this for over 3 months and as you can see below, I've lost and gained the same 6 pounds. Bodies are stubborn and weight loss takes time. Is it frustrating? YES! If it were easy we'd all look like Megan Fox or Hallle Berry.

Just keep at it!

Well, it just feels like I'm gaining it back since I lost down to 145 the first week, but then went up to 148 the week after that and will probably be about 148ish at tomorrow's weigh in.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Well, it just feels like I'm gaining it back since I lost down to 145 the first week, but then went up to 148 the week after that and will probably be about 148ish at tomorrow's weigh in.

Do the math. You didn't lose that much FAT. You lost A LOT of water initially. The fluctuation on the scale is you gaining back the water. YOU ARE NOT GAINING FAT BACK.

You should have your goal set to about 1.0 pound weight loss a week. If you are losing more than that, you should be somewhat concerned as being too ambitious with weight loss can lead to a stall.

Find your BMR and TDEE and make your weight loss goal based on those numbers. Eat above BMR. Eat less than TDEE.
  • Bella20102010
    Bella20102010 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and kind words! :smile:

I found a TDEE calculator, and the result was 1940. My BMR was 1421. I think I'm going to aim for about 1500-1600 calories a day? Sound about right? Is there some way to reset my calorie scale for my MFP diary?

Thanks!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and kind words! :smile:

I found a TDEE calculator, and the result was 1940. My BMR was 1421. I think I'm going to aim for about 1500-1600 calories a day? Sound about right? Is there some way to reset my calorie scale for my MFP diary?

Thanks!

That sounds perfect. Just click goals and go ahead and customize them yourself. While you're at it, set protein to 30%.

You should expect weight loss of 0.5 to 1.0 pounds a week with that deficit. Bluntly put, shorter/lighter people simply have to lose weight slower.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I wish I lost 8 pounds that quickly....

You lost a lot of water weight initially an now you can expect a slower loss from week to week, and that is healthy. Don't aim for any more than 1 lb loss per week. If you lose weight too quickly you will lose more lean body mass along with fat which means the amount of calories for you to maintain your weight will be less than it could be if you lost weight slower.

To each their own though...