Ways to reduce Carbs

Options
I seem to be doing fine with staying under my calories, under my fat and hitting my protein but I always go over on the carbs. I'm a picky eater so I don't like lots of veggies. I've been eating more fruit but I still am having a hard time with the carbs. Any ideas on what foods I should implement in my diet that are low in carbs?

Replies

• GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies either. That's why I'm on a ketogenic diet. I eat less than 10 carbs a day. Most of them come from the parts of carbs per egg and the ounce of really, really good cheese and from the carbs in the heavy whipping cream that I add to my coffee.

Last week I had 0.6 of an ounce of lettuce - just to see if it tasted differently since my changed eating habits. Everything seems to taste different these days - mostly for the better. The lettuce didn't, but the Blue Cheese Dressing (1carb) did.
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    brown rice :D
    its delicious and its lower in carbs. plus only have one cup full as it really is enough to fill you up :)
    hope that helps x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you change your diary settings to public we could see what you are eating and offer some suggestions.

For me, the big carb hitters are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, so I just watch the portion sizes of those.
  • mayhr3
    mayhr3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Wholewheat Pasta is also a good one
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing fine with staying under my calories, under my fat and hitting my protein but I always go over on the carbs. I'm a picky eater so I don't like lots of veggies. I've been eating more fruit but I still am having a hard time with the carbs. Any ideas on what foods I should implement in my diet that are low in carbs?

Retrain yourself not to be so picky, find recipes that disguise veggies or choose an eating plan that makes more sense given your personal tastes. You are unlikely to end up with a balanced/ nutritious lower carb diet without eating a pile of vegetables or going over on the other macros or both. If you cut down on grains, beans and lentils you will have to eat way more nuts and seeds to get enough minerals and fibre.
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of vegetables either. I make huge batches of the Weight Watchers 0 point vegetable soup with lots of spices and extra vegetables. I divide it up into containers and keep them in the fridge or freezer. It's one of the only ways I'll eat veggies. And veggies do contain carbs but I need some fiber in my diet.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of vegetables either. I make huge batches of the Weight Watchers 0 point vegetable soup with lots of spices and extra vegetables. I divide it up into containers and keep them in the fridge or freezer. It's one of the only ways I'll eat veggies. And veggies do contain carbs but I need some fiber in my diet.

Great idea!!!
  • omidiano
    Options
    Carbs wont make you fat the calorie intake thats all..
    Calorie in vs Calorie out

I'M on Intermittent Fasting for getting lean.
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Carbs wont make you fat the calorie intake thats all..
    Calorie in vs Calorie out

I'M on Intermittent Fasting for getting lean.

This guy is mostly correct. It's all about the total calories. Intermittent Fasting (IF) is taking in all your calories in a small window (say 10AM to 6PM) and fasting the rest of the day/night. It seems to work effectively for many including the Hodgetwins of which omidiano seems to be quite a fan of.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies either. That's why I'm on a ketogenic diet. I eat less than 10 carbs a day. Most of them come from the parts of carbs per egg and the ounce of really, really good cheese and from the carbs in the heavy whipping cream that I add to my coffee.

Last week I had 0.6 of an ounce of lettuce - just to see if it tasted differently since my changed eating habits. Everything seems to taste different these days - mostly for the better. The lettuce didn't, but the Blue Cheese Dressing (1carb) did.
    You're still supposed to eat vegetables on keto. That's where the majority of your carbs are supposed to come from. I don't know how you poop.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are actually almost all carbs. Low carb things would be like meat, eggs, dairy, nuts, etc.